House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

I'm all right Jack thread

It's no surprise that Osborne looked so smug and self satisfied during today's budget.  

With that and with Hammond shown laughing when Corbyn was remarking on the plight of young people and their housing situation it's been yet another downward day for MPs.

Edited by billybong

He’s also received helicopter and car transport worth more than 8,000 pounds from Countrywide Developments Ltd. to take him to a reception, and travel, accommodation and dinner in Paris for himself and his wife worth 4,087 pounds from former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg. Bloomberg is the founder and majority owner of Bloomberg LP, parent of Bloomberg News.

From that article. Why would their own media outlet reveal this kind of stuff. It's like some sort of hidden handshake - partly it's a small news story, and partly to say, do what Osborne did, and you too will be rewarded like this. This is isn't about revelation or exposure, this is the model politician they are presenting.

7 hours ago, billybong said:

It's no surprise that Osborne looked so smug and self satisfied during today's budget.  

With that and with Hammond shown laughing when Corbyn was remarking on the plight of young people and their housing situation it's been yet another downward day for MPs.

The plight of young people thee days - benefits cuts, expensive housing, poor rentals - falls entirely on Labour.

2 minutes ago, spyguy said:

The plight of young people thee days - benefits cuts, expensive housing, poor rentals - falls entirely on Labour.

No, it started with thatcher.  End of consensus politics ushered in the new thatcher Reagan ideology of free markets and deregulation. This was then continued by successive government both Tory and labour until we are where we are today.  Brown was an utter idiot and attempted to address the worse excesses of new right, neo liberal agenda by checking money at it, rather than challenge the actual underlying ideology. 

6 minutes ago, One-percent said:

No, it started with thatcher.  End of consensus politics ushered in the new thatcher Reagan ideology of free markets and deregulation. This was then continued by successive government both Tory and labour until we are where we are today.  Brown was an utter idiot and attempted to address the worse excesses of new right, neo liberal agenda by checking money at it, rather than challenge the actual underlying ideology. 

Nah.

The years 92-99 were very good to be young - cheap housing, good pay, jobs.

Brown fcked that all up.

5 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Nah.

Brown fcked that all up.

Disagree spy.  Prior to the late 70s early 80s, there was an agreement of full employment.  Governments moved away from this consensus and unemployment rose.  The worst hit were the young (as always).  So, various youth make work schemes were introduced such as yops yts   All it did was mask the issue.  Come the late 80s, early 90s, there was massive deregulation which shoved money into the system, created employment but at the same time masked the underlying problems.

we have been on a downward slope for thirty years, with a little uptick here and there

10 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Nah.

Brown fcked that all up.

The 80s weren't so good - expensive housing, unemployment - Thatcher fkced that up.

15 minutes ago, Futuroid said:

The 80s weren't so good - expensive housing, unemployment - Thatcher fkced that up.

Realtive today, even 88 was not expesnsive.

Only 88-90 were expensive.

92 onwards things were a lot cheaper.

Loo, Im a Labour type. The mess created by Brown 2002-20010 is off the scale compare to Lawsons fckup 87-90.

8 hours ago, billybong said:

Does anyone have a link for this laughter? Feel it needs to be shared...

26 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Loo, Im a Labour type. The mess created by Brown 2002-20010 is off the scale compare to Lawsons fckup 87-90.

Of course it's all relative. But just because you have no limbs doesn't mean a man with no legs is able bodied (DWP take note).

The expensive housing in the 80s was mainly concentrated in the South of England. This time, they spread the joy nationwide.

Labour / Tories - it's the same party.  It amazes me that people still argue about Thatcher, Blair and Brown.  Same neo-liberal set of policies.  All the same, with the same results.

5 minutes ago, canbuywontbuy said:

Labour / Tories - it's the same party.  It amazes me that people still argue about Thatcher, Blair and Brown.  Same neo-liberal set of policies.  All the same, with the same results.

^THIS^ Although i take a bit of solace from Mark Blyth that eventually we will come for them, ("the Hamptons is not a defensible position") Its a case of seeing just how long it'll take the masses to wake up and realise they're / we're screwed. 

For those who don't know who Mark Blyth is, apols to those who do..................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lD474zXIzc

15 minutes ago, burk said:

^THIS^ Although i take a bit of solace from Mark Blyth that eventually we will come for them, ("the Hamptons is not a defensible position") Its a case of seeing just how long it'll take the masses to wake up and realise they're / we're screwed. 

They been at this game a long time and with only two significant uprisings (both undone) in the UK in the past 1000 years, the question is... do you really think you'll still be around to see it?

1 hour ago, Futuroid said:

I bought my first house in 1985, first house from first job after Uni.  £19k 3 bed semi, earning £11k in West country.  Bought in London in 93, £80k 3 bed terrace (3 story job in Hammersmith) earning around 24k.  2003, 4 story 4 bed townhouse in Banbury, bought at £150k, sold a year later at £189k.  My last house, I sold a 2 bed bungalow in Redhill, Surrey for £325k in 2013.

I think it's fair to say they all ballsed it up to be honest, because they've all propagated houses (HPI) as a way to earn money, and not as a place to live.  The sooner they lose that way of thinking, the sooner we'll have the crash we crave.  The main problem I see is that for such a long time, people have been looking at their house as their pension fund, and that raises many problems for any government of the day.  My parents cashed in 2 years ago and moved to a retirement home after selling the house they paid £3k for in 1973 for over £500k, moving to a £120k serviced cottage.  I think most people are expecting this.  When it doesn't happen, there's going to be a lot of wailing.

33 minutes ago, HairyOb1 said:

I bought my first house in 1985, first house from first job after Uni.  £19k 3 bed semi, earning £11k in West country.  Bought in London in 93, £80k 3 bed terrace (3 story job in Hammersmith) earning around 24k.  2003, 4 story 4 bed townhouse in Banbury, bought at £150k, sold a year later at £189k.  My last house, I sold a 2 bed bungalow in Redhill, Surrey for £325k in 2013.

I think it's fair to say they all ballsed it up to be honest, because they've all propagated houses (HPI) as a way to earn money, and not as a place to live.  The sooner they lose that way of thinking, the sooner we'll have the crash we crave.  The main problem I see is that for such a long time, people have been looking at their house as their pension fund, and that raises many problems for any government of the day.  My parents cashed in 2 years ago and moved to a retirement home after selling the house they paid £3k for in 1973 for over £500k, moving to a £120k serviced cottage.  I think most people are expecting this.  When it doesn't happen, there's going to be a lot of wailing.

You'd probably find any Equity gains you made fitted into half a dozen or so years. Inflation and costs would have put any capital gains down towards zero during your first 12 years to 1997. Certainly by 1997 houses were seen as a great way of losing money. Then Brown came along and tripled things in about eight years and any benefit you derived probably came from that period. An earlier episode of madness from 1987-89 was largely lost as prices plummeted over the next five years.

Surrey is unusual in that it has continued to do well since 2013, may be increasing 40% or so. By contrast zoopla says my area has done 11% in the last 11 years. We got the Brown bounce, like you, but nothing thereafter. Certainly houses over the last 11 years have been a disaster in north if you considered it a pension, Equities were the place to be. i was largely in neither, cash, which was the middle road; better than houses but worse than Equities.

Edited by crashmonitor

1 hour ago, spyguy said:

I agree, I bought my first house in 87, 2002 to 2010 is shocking.

Mainly caused by extremely reckless lending.

I was young in Scotland in mid 80s. Wasn't an easy life. Looking for my first job after Uni in 1990, all roads led to London.  Not a lot going up North.

Relatively,  the 80s onwards have been fine for London / South east compared to everywhere else. It's been govt policy to protect the markets in this area.  That's their voter stronghold and media centre.

I don't get this argument that Gordon Brown changed everything.  And I'm no Labour lover btw. Brown only continued to do what his masters in the city and media had ordered every other PM since Thatcher to do.  I.e. implementation of the neo liberal policies. 

1 hour ago, canbuywontbuy said:

Yep.  Nailed it.