House Price Crash Forum
Saving For a Space Ship

Government refuses to publish housing benefit cut assessment  

Government refuses to publish housing benefit cut assessment  

reg. req.

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/policy/politics/central-government/government-refuses-to-publish-housing-benefit-cut-assessment/7019107.article

The government has refused to publish its equalities assessment into the removal of housing benefit for 18 to 21-year-olds.

During an urgent question in the House of Commons earlier today several opposition MPs, including former Labour leader Ed Miliband, called on the government to publish the assessment.

The policy is due to be introduced from April and youth homelessness charity Centrepoint has warned it could place 9,000 young people at risk of homelessness.

However, work and pensions minister Caroline Nokes said the government had “no obligation” to publish the equalities assessment.

She said: “We did look very carefully under the public sector equality duty at the impacts that this policy would have and shared that information with the social security advisory committee. I’m under no obligation to publish it.”

Ms Nokes said the policy is expected to affect 5,000 young people in its first year and 10,000 a year after this point.

Those 18 to 21-year-olds who are unable to live with their parents will be exempt from the policy. However, several MPs asked how the government expects young people to prove they are unable to live at home.

Labour MP Lisa Nandy, who used to work at Centrepoint, said many of the young people she worked with had experienced “horrendous physical, mental and emotional abuse which meant they understandably no longer had a relationship with their families”.

She added: “How does she expect those young people to prove that they cannot return home? They can’t simply pick up the phone to their parents, they shouldn’t be forced to recount to a stranger again and again those stories that have happened to them.”

Ms Nokes said the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) intends to draw up a long list of stakeholders who young people can report their circumstances to and added “it should of course be the case that they only report it once”.

Young people will either be required to provide a statement explaining why they cannot live at home, or a statement will be provided by a stakeholder, for example a charity.

A DWP spokesperson said the department has worked “with charities and the housing sector to develop a fair and robust set of exemptions to protect the most vulnerable young people”....

4 minutes ago, satch said:

So if you work full-time from 18 to say 20 then you are not allowed any housing benefit but if you are 22 from the EU with  4 kids you will get loads of dosh .... can't be right I must be just imagining that the government are insane.

+1  Much better to say no housing benefit for people who live in London but don't work there after x months

However, work and pensions minister Caroline Nokes said the government had “no obligation” to publish the equalities assessment.

She said: “We did look very carefully under the public sector equality duty at the impacts that this policy would have and shared that information with the social security advisory committee. I’m under no obligation to publish it.”

In that case Nokes and her pals should fund the assessment and not the taxpayer - they should also be obliged to say how much time they all spent doing that assessment in government/taxpayer time.

Edited by billybong

19 minutes ago, billybong said:

In that case Nokes and her pals should fund the assessment and not the taxpayer - they should also be obliged to say how much time they all spent doing that assessment in government/taxpayer time.

As i understand it the assessment has been done, its a legal requirement.  It just isn't being published.

It seems odd to do an equality assessment on a policy deliberately intended to be discriminatory.

I'm guessing that removing housing benefit from 18-21 year olds is mostly going to affect 18-21 year olds.

Edited by BuyToLeech

23 minutes ago, BuyToLeech said:

As i understand it the assessment has been done, its a legal requirement.  It just isn't being published.

It seems odd to do an equality assessment on a policy deliberately intended to be discriminatory.

I'm guessing that removing housing benefit from 18-21 year olds is mostly going to effect 18-21 year olds.

If it's a legal requirement and funded by the taxpayer/the electorate then it should be published for scrutiny by the general public and the opposition.  To ensure as far as possible that fair decisions are being made.  If they decide not to publish it then it's depriving the taxpayer/electorate of vital information so they shouldn't have to pay for it.  They Work For You.

There's already far too much secrecy and hiding/masking of data and other information in the UK 

Edited by billybong

1 hour ago, satch said:

So if you work full-time from 18 to say 20 then you are not allowed any housing benefit but if you are 22 from the EU with  4 kids you will get loads of dosh .... can't be right I must be just imagining that the government are insane.

Or indeed working from 16 years old. 4 years of paying in, sorry sonny we need to speak to your parents.

Infantalising adults.

2 hours ago, satch said:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/390438/We-want-a-bigger-house-Demand-Romanian-family-of-17-on-55k-in-benefits

Yes.

47 minutes ago, spyguy said:

I heard it was the EU forcing them to keep the HB cut assessment secret.

EVERYTHING is the fault of the EU. The sunny uplands are just around the corner.

(P.S. Can you help me understand why the Tories put the boot into the young in the 80s when there was no freedom of movement?)

The young deserve everything they get. They didn't fight for our freedom or for our right to vote. Nor did they work their fingers to the bone to pay off their mortgage and pay into a pension.

36 minutes ago, Eddie_George said:

The young deserve everything they get. They didn't fight for our freedom or for our right to vote. Nor did they work their fingers to the bone to pay off their mortgage and pay into a pension.

No, the boomer did all that.....

1 hour ago, Eddie_George said:

I find this quite offensive, though I may not be seem as young anymore... We just haven't been given the opportunity to break ground like previous generations, then again we haven't been given many of the opportunities previous generations had, good or bad. 

1 hour ago, Eddie_George said:

This is sarcasm right?