House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

workingpoor

Free Heroin from Police

So £15,000 will be spent per addict per year from the Police budget to hand them free heroin? 

It has been pointed out that addiction is not a 9-5 job and what will the addicts do crimewise after hours to get their fix? 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/durham-police-supply-free-heroin-9968511

Critics have slammed the move saying it was not the role of police to supply drugs and it would not help addicts get clean

Free heroin will be given to drugaddicts by police under plans to let them inject themselves twice daily in a supervised "shooting gallery".

The Class A drug will be given out free by Durham Constabulary in the first time it will be handed out - with the costs covered by its own budget.

However, critics have slammed the move saying it was not the role of police to supply drugs and it would not help addicts get clean.

It is reportedly estimated to cost about £15,000 a year to provide a person with heroin supervised.

Thisis crap. and not for the obvious reason.

Most LHA offer some form of heroin/mathdone on the tap to people registered in detox programmes.

This just stinks of a make work scheme for coppers.

As far as the 15k cost goes thats ~1k for the smack and 14k for the copper to oversee it, who'll go off sick, then their replacement will go off sick.

My solution is to offer clean, purish heroin to any smack head who holds down a job.

They always bang on about how smack heads will do anything for a fix. Well, how about a job?

51 minutes ago, workingpoor said:

So £15,000 will be spent per addict per year from the Police budget to hand them free heroin? 

It has been pointed out that addiction is not a 9-5 job and what will the addicts do crimewise after hours to get their fix? 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/durham-police-supply-free-heroin-9968511

Critics have slammed the move saying it was not the role of police to supply drugs and it would not help addicts get clean

Free heroin will be given to drugaddicts by police under plans to let them inject themselves twice daily in a supervised "shooting gallery".

The Class A drug will be given out free by Durham Constabulary in the first time it will be handed out - with the costs covered by its own budget.

However, critics have slammed the move saying it was not the role of police to supply drugs and it would not help addicts get clean.

It is reportedly estimated to cost about £15,000 a year to provide a person with heroin supervised.

they'll be arresting each other for possession with intent to supply I take it???

Interesting. 

As Joe Punter who minds his own business and who generally gets on with things in a civic and responsible manner, I am entitled to the square root of f*ck all from the government if I needed a bit of help at some point.

Now, magically, if I become a societal pain in the ****, I become worthy of 15k a year.

I'll do the government a deal. If they supply me with, let's say, 5k's worth of single malt through the year, then I promise not to rob old grannies.

I await my Speyside.

why involve the police, who are there to prevent and detect crime, in a medical matter?

39 minutes ago, One-percent said:

I wonder whether we can convince them to do the same with booze?  All those closed police stations can be reopened as free pubs. 

What a wonderful and enlightened idea!;)

I am not a heroin user, but I would like to try it. can I get it free from Durham?

hope some of the addicts overdose and Durham Police have to pay compensation!!

This might open up a can of worms. I can see needle-stick injury happening, and an officer get some blood born disease. Let the lawsuits begin and the first £1m payout.

5 minutes ago, 200p said:

This might open up a can of worms. I can see needle-stick injury happening, and an officer get some blood born disease. Let the lawsuits begin and the first £1m payout.

Is the suggestion that the police actually administer it?  :blink: 

This was the idea that the used needles didn't get to the sharps bin, and a member of staff pricked themselves on a used needle, maybe a cleaner or a police officer, but I will run with the idea that the police may have to administer.

---

They might have to administer, some users may not be able to do it themselves - they've not had official training of course to do it safely. What if harm came to the user - wrong strength of heroin, faulty injectable equipment. Infection from poorly cleaned surfaces. A can of worms...!

And for those that cannot self-administer (for what ever reason) they may call the police out for discrimination. So they may have to administer.

I'm going to take a different view and suggest that crime rates will plummet as a result. The police are responsible for crime prevention so it makes sense to me to try it. It may turn out to be money well spent.

5 minutes ago, ntb said:

I'm going to take a different view and suggest that crime rates will plummet as a result. The police are responsible for crime prevention so it makes sense to me to try it. It may turn out to be money well spent.

If the police shot addicts and dealers on site Philippines stile then that would also cut crime, wouldn't it?

1 minute ago, Oh Well :( said:

If the police shot addicts and dealers on site Philippines stile then that would also cut crime, wouldn't it?

Yes. But I'm willing to give them some 'free' skag so they don't have to rob before we go down that route.

14 minutes ago, ntb said:

Yes. But I'm willing to give them some 'free' skag so they don't have to rob before we go down that route.

For the sake of the defecit, you could save some money by giving individuals a months supply all at once.

7 minutes ago, LiveinHope said:

For the sake of the defecit, you could save some money by giving individuals a months supply all at once.

For the sake of the defecit we could try something that cuts crime and reduces the number of police officers needed, reduces the cost of home insurance, reduces the pressure on the NHS from overdoses and drug related diseases etc. I don't know if the economics stack up or not and we won't until it's tried. I don't think the current situation is one we should settle for though.

I wouldn't go as far as the charity that pays addicts to sterilise themselves permanently, but it might be a good idea to make claiming free drugs conditional on regular contraceptive treatment. Although I suppose it can only be done for women currently, as soon as a suitable option for men is available it should be introduced for them too.

27 minutes ago, ntb said:

For the sake of the defecit we could try something that cuts crime and reduces the number of police officers needed, reduces the cost of home insurance, reduces the pressure on the NHS from overdoses and drug related diseases etc. I don't know if the economics stack up or not and we won't until it's tried. I don't think the current situation is one we should settle for though.

I'd agree that there is a need for new thinking and a new approach. I've been the on the receiving end of drug related theft twice. I'd be in favour of trialing the Durham approach  if it was associated with a compulsory treatment plan and tougher penalties for those who don't take part, but I can't see evidence for a 'treatment plan' in the news reports, other than the following quote by Chief Constable Mike Barton in the Mirror

"We need to get over our moral panic about giving people heroin as part of a treatment plan," he told the paper

Well if the initiative proves to be a success, then i hope they swiftly move on to issuing free "high strength skunk cannabis" 

Then i might be interested. 

Where will it end? Free LSD? "come and do a trip in the safe enviroment of the police cells" :lol:

It would be pretty crazy to pass up the opportunity to offer them help given that you have contact in a non confrontational situation. My guess is that most of these drug users are messed up people with messed up lives. I suspect some relationship building is needed and a gradual approach to build up trust.

3 minutes ago, ntb said:

It would be pretty crazy to pass up the opportunity to offer them help given that you have contact in a non confrontational situation. My guess is that most of these drug users are messed up people with messed up lives. I suspect some relationship building is needed and a gradual approach to build up trust.

What build up trust with the Old Bill? 

(where's my solicitor lol)

I'm making the assumption (perhaps wrongly) that some social services and medical people will be involved and that most cops are decent people and rational enough to understand that the current approach doesn't work.

5 minutes ago, ntb said:

I'm making the assumption (perhaps wrongly) that some social services and medical people will be involved and that most cops are decent people and rational enough to understand that the current approach doesn't work.

Yes it could go something like "tell us all your previous crimes in the area so we can close the casefiles and we will not prosecute if you turn over a new leaf, now pop down the medical bay on the way out and have another shot of Heroin" ? :mellow: