House Price Crash Forum

Is the buyer pulling a fast one?

HOLA441

Good Morning Everyone, this is my first time post on this site, so i would like to say hello and a warm welcome awaits.

Im looking for advice regarding the sale of my house.

The completion has taken place and everything has gone through.

I received a letter from the solicitor stating that the buyer was unhappy with several issues after the completion.

The buyer viewed the property twice and i personally comissioned two surveys on the house! at no point has any of these issues been raised.

The list of issues are;

Broken electrical socket

Broken wall light

Missing padlock from an exterior door/shed

Missing door off a built in wardrobe

Roof in outside shed/utility room leaking.

The house was left in a untidy state.

The problem i have that all of these issues were apparent when the buyer viewed the property twice and at no point raised these. only after completion.

Any advice would be greatly received as i feel they are pulling a fast one to get me to pay for it.

Kind regards

• 2 months later...
HOLA442

You've completed.  It's now the buyers house and the issues listed are his/hers to deal with.

Unless you gave some undertaking to correct the issues identified or some warranty as to the condition of the house in the contract then the buyer has no come back on you as far as I can see (I'm not a lawyer btw).

Does the letter actually threaten any action?  If not I suspect you can ignore it.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

caveat emptor - he needed to make you aware that he wanted them fixed during the sale.  I am surprised that the solicitor would send them on.

I have assumed that all of these things were there when he saw the property, if however any were done between exchange and completion then you have a duty to report them.  But then he would have insurance on the property as is his duty at point of exchange, tell him to use it.

HOLA446