House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sgt Hartman

Strange names for kids.

I seem to be hearing quite a few more of these lately. We were walking past a playground when a little boy of about four said hello. We said hi and his mum called him back: "Jupiter, back over here please"

Jupiter, huh?

Another impressive one was when Mrs Hartman was chatting to a new mum in the maternity ward. She'd just had a little girl, after much coo'ing she asked what her name was, "Ambie" came the response.

Mrs Hartman asked where the name had come from and the genuine answer was: "I like those ambipur air-fresheners".

WTF.

I wonder if these names will be a hindrance when they are older or if it will be so commonplace that it won't make any difference.

Anyone heard any impressive examples?

China Blue. Not sure if it was meant to be a hat-tip to Sun Jihai's stint at Manchester City, or the name of her father's favourite knocking shop.

32 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I seem to be hearing quite a few more of these lately. We were walking past a playground when a little boy of about four said hello. We said hi and his mum called him back: "Jupiter, back over here please"

Jupiter, huh?

Another impressive one was when Mrs Hartman was chatting to a new mum in the maternity ward. She'd just had a little girl, after much coo'ing she asked what her name was, "Ambie" came the response.

Mrs Hartman asked where the name had come from and the genuine answer was: "I like those ambipur air-fresheners".

WTF.

I wonder if these names will be a hindrance when they are older or if it will be so commonplace that it won't make any difference.

Anyone heard any impressive examples?

Jupiter Jones was one of the three investigators, I read those books avidly as a kid about 45 years ago

Those sort of names are a clear hindrance as now; with rare exceptions a name encodes the family background and likely education of the child and then adult.

The children with those names who are actually sensible change them rather perpetually have them counting against them in obtaining jobs, university places etc.  A good example is Zowie Bowie who changed his name to Duncan Jones.

The most extreme I encountered was something like Zebedee Moon Cult; needless to say this was as a client of a homeless service with which I did some work.

My neighbour's kids [one a year for 5 years] had an Osiris, Marley-Joe and the three others were too bizarre to remember...

At work, I came across a Tiger the other day - not even spelt with a y. Others at work include: Mazie-Jo, Angelus, Fifi, Nile and Petal-Blossom.

I knew a man called Ben Down in the '80s.

The very best one I've come across was a pupil at my school in the '50s:  Maida Smellie.  Truly.  I bet she married at 16!!:blink: 

I knew an R.Sole once, and a Theresa Green, and a Rose Wood. One of my mate's sons is Cosmo, but his dad is a musician, so I guess that's normal,

I think a lot of it is 'look at me!' on the parents part. Mrs Hartman has a friend who gave her kids frankly ridiculous names and she is definitely a person who has withdrawals if attention isn't focused on her for long enough.

17 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

My neighbour's kids [one a year for 5 years] had an Osiris, Marley-Joe and the three others were too bizarre to remember...

At work, I came across a Tiger the other day - not even spelt with a y. Others at work include: Mazie-Jo, Angelus, Fifi, Nile and Petal-Blossom.

I knew a man called Ben Down in the '80s.

The very best one I've come across was a pupil at my school in the '50s:  Maida Smellie.  Truly.  I bet she married at 16!!:blink: 

The Chinese are masters of odd names.  I think if they like a word then it's fair game. Context means nothing.

I went to school with a skinny Chinese kid called Tarzan, there was also a Rambo in the year below me.

The book Freakanomics mentions two kids named Oranjello and Lemonjello. Another kid in somewhere inner city USA was called Sheethead. Poor sod!

I have a pet theory explaining this.

Was it Alan Bennett who spoke of the cyclical nature of names, in that you name children after long-dead relatives, but not the ones festering in homes?  You don't want to be reminded of dementia, incontinence, etc, every time you tell your friends about new baby Ethel.  You also don't want to name them after living relatives, as they're just struggling flawed individuals like the rest of us, and, anyway, you don't know which ones will end up in jail or will become alcoholics...  So you're left with the fond hazy sepia-toned memories of fun times as children with your grandparents, who are now dead many-a-year.  So you name your children after them.

But the trouble is people live so long now, and there are so many generations alive, that all the names are still being used -- and the names of your grandparents are no-longer fondly remembered but are now the names of middle-aged soap stars.

So, all you've got left is to make up new names that aren't currently in use.

4 minutes ago, Diver Dan said:

My mum once taught a girl called Kimberley Clarke ??

It's unfortunate I associate that with toilet paper, as it is a totally normal name, but so is Wayne Kerr, they do laboratory equipment BTW.

It's part of the diseugenics which means stupid people are breeding more than smart people, and choosing stupid names.

7 minutes ago, MrPin said:

It's unfortunate I associate that with toilet paper, as it is a totally normal name, but so is Wayne Kerr, they do laboratory equipment BTW.

They also did a range of automatic test equipment back in the day.

As a technician in the late 90s, I always dreaded the words "the Wayne Kerr is down again"....

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish Proverb

4 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Sign of a less conformist society, probably a good thing.

It's a great thing.

As visible tattoos and piercings tell you who to avoid when you can see them, stupid names mean that you don't even need to do that.

CV from Romeo or Chamile: bin.

Could it be all about being different or original, thing is being different and original is no longer different nor original.;)

I get the point about some of these for sure weird modern names that are being handed out, but....to be frank I have always thought that some of the very oldest come across, in todays age, as almost equally weird in their own way and object of ridicule.

Such as Egbert, Tarquin, Ermintrude, Ethelburga..... and so on.  At some point even the 'ancient' becomes weird.

14 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Suits me, I make a living hiring and managing people who don't fit the mould but become very productive when given a chance and managed adequately.

Do you wear your old school tie to interviews?

10 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's a great thing.

As visible tattoos and piercings tell you who to avoid when you can see them, stupid names mean that you don't even need to do that.

My step-daughter has a boyfriend called Scott Scott.

Any chance of a job at your place for Scotty Frank...?

;)

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

6 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

My step-daughter has a boyfriend called Scott Scott.

Any chance of a job at your place for Scotty Frank...?

;)

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

No problem there, I knew a Douglas Douglas. Killed by lightning on the rifle range we used to shoot at.

8 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Suits me, I make a living hiring and managing people who don't fit the mould but become very productive when given a chance and managed adequately.

Do you wear your old school tie to interviews?

No need, it's on the CV.