HOLA441
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
47 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

Talking of helmets...

In classical times and earlier, Corinth had a temple of Aphrodite, the goddess of love, employing some thousand hetairas (temple prostitutes) (see alsoTemple prostitution in Corinth). The city was renowned for these temple prostitutes, who served the wealthy merchants and the powerful officials who frequented the city. Lais, the most famous hetaira, was said to charge tremendous fees for her extraordinary favours. Referring to the city's exorbitant luxuries, Horace is quoted as saying: "non licet omnibus adire Corinthum" ("Not everyone is able to go to Corinth").[27]

(EDIT: A very perceptive statement....i.e. not everyone can be wealthy)

I used to live down the road from Corinth.  It was a bit underwhelming, frankly.  Hardly saw any prostitutes. 

[loads down the road in the opposite direction at Patras, though.  Not sure that they were of the 'suitable for powerful officials' type, though...]

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

GoT initially was a thinly-disguised War of the Roses with the bloody battles for which that was notorious.

Lannister = Lancaster

Stark = York

I got bored with it after the third series, and watched more films with "proper" tits in it.

HOLA448
HOLA449
3 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I found this video fascinating - two Corinthian helmets have recently been discovered. They look remarkable in the below video. Fascinating to think about who made them and who wore them. State of the art in those days.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=72b_1488503359

If you want to look after your helmet, best watch out for salt.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Unless it is copper plated. OK, it might go a bit green but a quick rub will make it glow.

From personal experience, I too can attest to the efficacy of regular helmet rubbing for keeping things in tip-top condition.

You might also want to work some dubbin into the softer parts.

HOLA4412
8 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

I hope this thread is living up to your expectations TMT.   :rolleyes:

Curse of the Carry On generation strikes again.

The magic world of OT!

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
3 hours ago, MrPin said:

I got bored with it after the third series, and watched more films with "proper" tits in it.

I got bored with it a third of the way through the second episode. Too many tits. :rolleyes:

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, hotairmail said:

I hope this thread is living up to your expectations TMT.   :rolleyes:

Curse of the Carry On generation strikes again.

:lol: It admittedly hasn't gone the way that I was hoping. I think my mistake was putting 'helmets' in the thread title.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

:lol: It admittedly hasn't gone the way that I was hoping. I think my mistake was putting 'helmets' in the thread title.

If it's any consolation, I can't imagine 'columns' would have fared any better.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

If the dating of the helmets is correct they come from a time when Corinth was incredibly powerful. Some 450 or so years later the Romans invaded the city, killed all the men, sold all the women and children into slavery.

It is interesting and disturbing to think that the descendents of the once all mighty Corinth ended up living as slaves in Italy. That should be a sobering lesson and warning to us all.

HOLA4421
15 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

This is why we can't post on Mumsnet.

That and for the sake of sanity. libs refused to post his raspberry pi thread there. said if he read another sentence that included the word "yummy" he'd top himself.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
On 03/03/2017 at 11:17 AM, The Masked Tulip said:

I found this video fascinating - two Corinthian helmets have recently been discovered. They look remarkable in the below video. Fascinating to think about who made them and who wore them. State of the art in those days.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=72b_1488503359

What I find amazing is that it was only 100 odd generations ago.  Splits into thirds roughly as Corinthian helmets, the turn of the Roman empire into the Eastern Roman Empire and the Norman invasion of England.  Nearly 100 generations before that (well, 70 generations, say, but that would spoil the sequence), was the pyramid-building epoc at Egypt, 100 generations before that appears to be the widespread adoption of agriculture*, and 100 generations before that was the first known architectural thing at Göbekli Tepe, thought to be the start of organised religion, but who knows.  

1000s of generations before that, mankind just pootles along without any significant changes along the way (but that is either because the aliens spent so much effort eradicating evidence of their work here or because there weren't any previous generations as God hadn't got around to building the world).

[* don't blame me for getting the dates wrong -- this was way before my time]

HOLA4425

Archived