House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cock-eyed octopus

Sophia Ilyashenko

This broke my heart. I know there are millions of deserving causes out there, but, with two little granddaughters of my own, I couldn't help but be deeply affected.

it's obviously a purely personal decision. But if you want to please donate something:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/02/sophia-parents-fighting-life-support-disabled-nhs-debt

donations here:

https://www.gofundme.com/sophiass-fund

Thank you.

" The family are £30,000 in debt and fear her medical equipment will be repossessed "

" NHS only offers one appointment every six weeks "

I am going to say something now which is going to make me sound like a complete nasty, evil person.

This young girl lives in London - one of the richest cities on Earth with a vast population. If she cannot get the funding that she needs from the people of London (One rich Londoner could donate the money required in moments.) what chance do all the other children and their parents have living in the rest of the UK, who do not have access to the like of the Guardian for publicity, who need similar cash have?

I turn on my TV and every day I get that London 'Lily Savage' comic asking me for money in an advert for Battersea Dogs Home - can't remember Battersea Dogs Home ever spending a penny to help any animals in Wales. Perhaps they give all their money to Yorkshire, the Isle of Man, Cornwall or Belfast?

I had a chugger knock on my door last week and get shirty with me when I told him I was not interested in setting up a direct debit for a UK 'national charity' that, to my knowledge, does very little, if nothing, in my part of the world.

I know that I am conflating big charities with the plight of this unfortunate girl but my local area has appeals all the time for local children in similar situations - none of them get publicity outside of Swansea let alone in the Guardian - and I am pretty sure that each HPCers can say the same thing about the areas of the UK that we all come from.

I hope this girl's family get all the funding that she needs to help her. It is shocking that she is not getting it from the State via the NHS. Perhaps Lily Allen, Emma Thompson, Gary Lineker et all could try and figure out a way to help her.

Similar was said about the once prevelant Great Ormond Street hospital campaigns that set up stalls at local events; its well intentioned fundraisers seemingly unaware that children were being treated in local hospitals and these were far more under funded than GOS.

Have they considered moving back to Ukraine (serious question)? It says his family is in Ukraine and surely the child would get better family care there?

If the child is likely to die anyway (95% chance), surely it is better for her to have more constant family care. If that is available in Ukraine, why not?

25 minutes ago, Errol said:

Have they considered moving back to Ukraine (serious question)? It says his family is in Ukraine and surely the child would get better family care there?

If the child is likely to die anyway (95% chance), surely it is better for her to have more constant family care. If that is available in Ukraine, why not?

Yes.

Its a horrible siutation but ...

where did the 30k debt come from?

Why not move somewhere cheaper? You cannot afford to live in London and have kids on less than 100k - unless you are on benefits.

Can I just say that I understand & respect all the reasons people have for not giving in this particular case. I would not like to feel I was trying to apply any moral pressure to give; the subject was raised just to make people aware of the situation.

Your post was well intentioned. Shows you are a good person. 

(Why you are hanging around with us though seems to indicate some kind of personality disorder - do you wish to share? :-) )

3 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Your post was well intentioned. Shows you are a good person. 

(Why you are hanging around with us though seems to indicate some kind of personality disorder - do you wish to share? :-) )

You're very kind. I actually think most people are essentially good, even you lot   :- )

My personality disorder is serial house abuse, I can't resist a tumbledown cottage. I come on here to avoid my latest project. Six years & counting  :- (

1 minute ago, ****-eyed octopus said:

You're very kind. I actually think most people are essentially good, even you lot   :- )

My personality disorder is serial house abuse, I can't resist a tumbledown cottage. I come on here to avoid my latest project. Six years & counting  :- (

I used to believe that most people are good. Then I moved to believing that the majority of people are good. I am at a point now where I am wondering if it is the majority who are good. Good people could be the minority.

Circumstances dictate all our lives. Perhaps being Human is about failings.