House Price Crash Forum
ASBEAR

New tool for analysing the paid house price

I've spent may spare time to build a tool for drawing charts with the data exported from Land Registry. This tool was just for myself but I think here are lots of smart people who can analyse and read the market from the charts so that this tool could be used better. Please try if you are interested in :) and feedback if you think the concept of tool makes sense.

http://ec2-52-56-157-207.eu-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com/

The interface is kind of intuitive but in short:

1. Choose region and press enter to add.

2. Choose options to show (will replace with simpler interface)

3. Set period. (Will replace with range slider later) 

4. Click "Draw a chart!"

Charts shift down when you draw a new chart. You can delete any chart by clicking the red cross button.

Great tool!

Would it be possible to add finer filtering? I am interested in Birmingham City Centre, but the closest option I can find is Birmingham, which covers a far larger area.

1 hour ago, voldemort said:

Great tool!

Would it be possible to add finer filtering? I am interested in Birmingham City Centre, but the closest option I can find is Birmingham, which covers a far larger area.

Thanks. Yeah as far as I understand, Land Registry doesn't provide the option for any finer area for its main query.  

But I believe it is still possible through entirely different data query. For that, I need to get all the transaction data for the "Town" name and combine with the required key all together. But I am unaware of the entire list of "Town" name which is necessary for querying, so I have no clear plan to make it work. I think it will take lots of investigation. I will keep looking for the possible way.

Doesn't work for me, Bracknell-Forest, highlighted new build and clicked green button but no chart happens. Chrome  Version 56.0.2924.87 , all sorts of anti-tracking extensions, but doesn't work in incognito window either.

1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

Doesn't work for me, Bracknell-Forest, highlighted new build and clicked green button but no chart happens. Chrome  Version 56.0.2924.87 , all sorts of anti-tracking extensions, but doesn't work in incognito window either.

Try with bracknell-forest. It needs to be identical to the symbol that are used by Land Registery query (at the moment..!) 

if you just type b, you will see 'bracknell-forest' as the suggestion. click it, and press enter (twice, until it's added as a green box.

1 hour ago, ftb_fml said:

Had a quick look and it appears to provide access to an immense amount of data.

Top work - looks like an excellent tool :D

Thanks! I hope to see some inspiring charts from the genius HPC guys.

On 28/02/2017 at 9:43 PM, ASBEAR said:

Thanks. Yeah as far as I understand, Land Registry doesn't provide the option for any finer area for its main query.  

But I believe it is still possible through entirely different data query. For that, I need to get all the transaction data for the "Town" name and combine with the required key all together. But I am unaware of the entire list of "Town" name which is necessary for querying, so I have no clear plan to make it work. I think it will take lots of investigation. I will keep looking for the possible way.

Fantastic bit of kit.Absolutely brilliant.

Whilst you can't input postcodes you can input areas and that's creates a different impression from just analysing postcodes

You are working within the limitations of their data.The Land reg index gives a rough assessment for house prices in that area.

Methodology

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/about-the-uk-house-price-index

On 28/02/2017 at 2:24 PM, ASBEAR said:

I've spent may spare time to build a tool for drawing charts with the data exported from Land Registry. This tool was just for myself but I think here are lots of smart people who can analyse and read the market from the charts so that this tool could be used better. Please try if you are interested in :) and feedback if you think the concept of tool makes sense.

4. Click "Draw a chart!"

Charts shift down when you draw a new chart. You can delete any chart by clicking the red cross button.

Nice work ASBear. Lambda with s3 and dynamodb? 

11 hours ago, Sancho Panza said:

Fantastic bit of kit.Absolutely brilliant.

Whilst you can't input postcodes you can input areas and that's creates a different impression from just analysing postcodes

You are working within the limitations of their data.The Land reg index gives a rough assessment for house prices in that area.

Methodology

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/about-the-uk-house-price-index

Thanks Sancho! I will have a look. First goal was building the framework and now I am looking for any other better source of data. If you know, please let me know.

11 hours ago, hp72 said:

Nice work ASBear. Lambda with s3 and dynamodb? 

Thanks hp72, It's just built on NodeJS + JSON file for the moment. Didn't want to have DB dependency but will need to consider if I want to add much complex feature.

5 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

Selected my region from the dropdown list and instead got graphs for Richmond upon Thames??

I think that's the default option. You need to get rid of the green box with Richmond in it then look for the region you want and hit enter to select it.

1 minute ago, PerfectCircle said:

Same here

Sorry I think I confused all of you by pudding the default region that I thought would be helpful to understand :)

The region in the green box is what the graph is drawn with, and you can add multiple regions as well. That's the major motivation to make this tool because I wanted to compare multiple region with multiple options in one chart which I think Land Registry doesn't provide.

4 minutes ago, This time said:

I think that's the default option. You need to get rid of the green box with Richmond in it then look for the region you want and hit enter to select it.

Exactly. Thanks!

I think I need to improve the interface. I am a back-end developer so reasonably crap at the front-end UI thingy.

3 hours ago, sPinwheel said:

Awesome. 

Well not awesome actually every region I've looked at has mad insane HPI.

Have a look at Merton - backs up what I've been saying for months about how the crash has spread out as far as Wimbledon.

On 2/28/2017 at 2:24 PM, ASBEAR said:

4. Click "Draw a chart!"

Just add the source of your datasets please.

You are doing God's work. Stunning.