House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

UK 'must insulate 25 million homes' says report to Parliament

UK 'must insulate 25 million homes'  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39107973

.....More than one home every minute will need to be refurbished in the UK between now and 2050, experts say.

A report to Parliament says 25 million existing homes will not meet the insulation standards required by mid-century.

The UK needs to cut carbon emissions by 80% by then - and a third of those emissions come from heating draughty buildings.

The government said it would devise policies as soon as possible.

But critics say ministers have been far too slow to impose a national programme of home renovation which would save on bills and improve people's health, comfort and happiness. It would also create thousands of jobs.

Successive governments have been criticised for failing to tackle the UK's poor housing stock - some of the worst in Europe....

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

...was I mistaken when reading the other day that there are companies that fill the cavities in walls with insulation and companies that then remove it?.....triple glazing the new double glazing......all this rip this out, pay to put in this goes on forever.....a nice warm blanket and heat the room you use.....actually thick curtains, clingfilm makes good draft barriers...... ;)

15 minutes ago, winkie said:

...was I mistaken when reading the other day that there are companies that fill the cavities in walls with insulation and companies that then remove it?.....triple glazing the new double glazing......all this rip this out, pay to put in this goes on forever.....a nice warm blanket and heat the room you use.....actually thick curtains, clingfilm makes good draft barriers...... ;)

Seems madness, heating all that air..

electric Heated Jacket

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=15&_nkw=electric Heated Jacket&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

or cut a hole in your electric blanket for a stylish poncho ? :unsure:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sop=15&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=electric blanket&LH_PrefLoc=1&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

32 minutes ago, Errol said:

The climate in this country isn't particularly cold enough anyway, to warrant such desperate measures.

Not having the bloody letterbox in the front door straight into the lounge would help me. Wonder if I could persuade the postman to go around the back (there's a porch there, the front door hardly ever gets used anyway).

46 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Those cozy fleece electric blankets are rather good less than 1p an hour running costs....help keep you warm allover.;)

1 hour ago, Riedquat said:

Not having the bloody letterbox in the front door straight into the lounge would help me. Wonder if I could persuade the postman to go around the back (there's a porch there, the front door hardly ever gets used anyway).

I think I've seen that *ahem* film.

1 hour ago, winkie said:

Those cozy fleece electric blankets are rather good less than 1p an hour running costs....help keep you warm allover.;)

Nice tip,  :) I'm thinking of making something like a Diy Burka made from a double size Electric blanket, as I don't want to waste that warm breath when exhaling ..  or ...

image-3b6f49f001122befe4a3157f896eb487.j

http:// www.mdjunction.com/forums/raynaud-disease-discussions/general-support/11037936-wearable-sleeping-bags

2 hours ago, Errol said:

The climate in this country isn't particularly cold enough anyway, to warrant such desperate measures.

Agreed, I haven't had my cavity filled and we only need the downstairs rads on in winter. The difference in bills between summer and winter per month is only a factor of 2. I don't needs retards from government telling me what I do and do not need. The one thing I don't need is a damp air tight home, ffs we already have the upstairs windows ajar all winter.

Just had a look at the "Green Deal" (which no longer seems to exist as such). Am I right in thinking that it was basically a way for landlords to get their rental properties updated with energy efficient features (such as double glazing) but getting the tenant to pay for it via their energy bills? So basically subsidising the landlords investment in order for the tenant to be able to live in a well insulated home? Bloody crazy...

3 hours ago, hotairmail said:

They would get it half done by imposing stringent requirements on homes to let - without any subsidy.

Then give a generous subsidy to homeowners to help them insulate their homes.

Knowing our governments of whichever hue, it will probably end up being the other way round.

They have sort of. You can't let a property with an EPC less than E 

https://www.rla.org.uk/landlord/guides/minimum-energy-efficiency-standards.shtml

As from the 1st April 2018 there will be a requirement for any properties rented out in the private rented sector to normally have a minimum energy performance rating of E on an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). The regulations will come into force for new lets and renewals of tenancies with effect from 1st April 2018 and for all existing tenancies on 1st April 2020. It will be unlawful to rent a property which breaches the requirement for a minimum E rating, unless there is an applicable exemption. A civil penalty of up to £4,000 will be imposed for breaches. This guidance summarises the regulations. There are separate regulations effective from 1st April 2016 under which a tenant can apply for consent to carry out energy efficiency improvements in privately rented properties.

The UK housing market comprises 28.1 million residential properties in 20141. Linked to income, wealth and availability of lending, the housing market is sensitive to the overall economic climate.
http://visual.ons.gov.uk/uk-perspectives-2016-housing-and-home-ownership-in-the-uk/

so 25/28 need insulating more?

Edited by SarahBell

I'm surprised there are that many properties left to insulate to be honest.

There's been well-publicised subsidy schemes running for ages.  I'm a homeowner, claim no benefits, but I got my cavities filled at a subsidised price.

One problem is that cavity insulation should not really be used on houses where the rain gets blown against the walls.  Supposedly about a third of properties in the UK.

11 minutes ago, kzb said:

I'm surprised there are that many properties left to insulate to be honest.

There's been well-publicised subsidy schemes running for ages.  I'm a homeowner, claim no benefits, but I got my cavities filled at a subsidised price.

One problem is that cavity insulation should not really be used on houses where the rain gets blown against the walls.  Supposedly about a third of properties in the UK.

Isn't that a case for cladding the outside of the wall with insulation , then cladding / rendering? 

Or does this raise another can of worms 

They'll never be able to keep track of which houses they're removing insulation from/adding insulation to despite spending a fortune on computers.  

Computer installers likely being the same blue chip scammers as the insulation removers/installers - with MPs getting sinecures with them.

The same scammers could be buying homes and paying off the mortgage by continually making repeat installation/removal claims without doing any work at all.

Next door had it done for free, they did the front, gave them a certificate and buggered off, the other three walls were too much like hard work. Retrofit cavity insulation was/is a scam of monumental proportions. Mother in-law had it supposedly done as well but I doubt there is little if any insulation in the house as well as it has made zero difference to the bills over a year, again no mess other than a few wee holes and no traces of what insulation was supposedly used..

1 hour ago, ChewingGrass said:

Next door had it done for free, they did the front, gave them a certificate and buggered off, the other three walls were too much like hard work. Retrofit cavity insulation was/is a scam of monumental proportions. Mother in-law had it supposedly done as well but I doubt there is little if any insulation in the house as well as it has made zero difference to the bills over a year, again no mess other than a few wee holes and no traces of what insulation was supposedly used..

occupants need to vid them installing it , for their own protection . ie probs with cavity etc