House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alba

Follow On FromThe Home Security Thread

Following on from the home security thread, I am curious as to how some or most on this site would react to actual intrusion.   Considering the ambiguous law on proportional force, how would you actually respond to an intruder or intruders in your home?

Would you go immediately into serious attack mode, or what?

Have you mentally rehearsed it?

Do you have contingencies, eg a baseball bat handy?

I have read that many intruders make your kitchen knives their first port of call, so they have already beaten you to them!  Sorry but you lose!

I keep my kitchen knives in a drawer rather than a highly visible knifeblock. I keep a large Maglite beside my bed and on one occasion  during an attempted break in, the burglar had broken into the conservatory, removed part of the kitchen window from there and fed something to my dog (whippet cross) that almost knocked him out. He came upstairs and whined at my bedroom door, collapsed when I opened it. I advanced downstairs in the dark, armed with the Maglite, simultaneously phoning 999. The burglar had got off his mark by then, fortunately, but I'm sure I would have hit him. 

Just to mention that this was when I was in my late 40s and very fit. Before the stroke. 

The police were so concerned - woman living on her own in  an isolated house - that they installed a silent alarm in the conservatory. They never caught anyone although the alarm went off several times at night, bringing some rather young policemen to the door. I moved house after a few months because of the feeling of isolation and fear of being attacked. 

25 minutes ago, Alba said:

Following on from the home security thread, I am curious as to how some or most on this site would react to actual intrusion.   Considering the ambiguous law on proportional force, how would you actually respond to an intruder or intruders in your home?

Would you go immediately into serious attack mode, or what?

Have you mentally rehearsed it?

Do you have contingencies, eg a baseball bat handy?

Someone suggested: Ensure if you hurt them they don't get back up. And dragging them back up the stairs and pushing them down will cover up lots of damage. And the knife you use was theirs.

We do joke on the allotment about having to dig a 6ft deep hole to get rid of people in. We haven't had to yet though.

Thought this topic was unnecessary til I started reading it.

Not anywhere near experienced / qualified to answer so will be interested in people's thoughts.

Would caution that it is de rigueur for the police etc to search internet history when investigating a case, so be careful in writing anything. "I acted out of fear / on spur of the moment" won't hold up in court if the pattern of injury fits your previously published plans to extract all their teeth whilst they are out cold from that cut-price tazer you bought off the dark web!

We have an upstairs room with a Yale lock on it. If we hear an intruder we will go to that room locking the door behind us and call the police. The room contains the posessions I would least like to see stolen. Without going into details we are confident we can defend ourselves if a mad axeman breaks the door down.

I'm normally the type of person to hide in a cupboard, but the one time I did disturb a burglar I chased them out of the property, and then down the road brandishing a chisel and yelling like a madman.  Funny things come over you when threatened in the middle of the night.

[that was the incident which ended up with a strange chalked marking on the road outside the house]

9 minutes ago, dgul said:

I'm normally the type of person to hide in a cupboard, but the one time I did disturb a burglar I chased them out of the property, and then down the road brandishing a chisel and yelling like a madman.  Funny things come over you when threatened in the middle of the night.

[that was the incident which ended up with a strange chalked marking on the road outside the house]

perhaps you should have crossed over the street. Did it look like this?

ǝuoןɐ ןןǝʍ ǝʌɐǝן sɹǝʞuoq uǝʞʞıɹɟ

I had some really bad, life threatening experiences living in houses. I feel much safer living on a boat, protected by a wide stretch of water and a strong community.

Living on dry land is so stressful, belligerent and overcrowded I just couldn't bear it any more. 

My plan is to write a strongly worded letter of complaint to my MP.

*right, that's my defence sorted*

2 hours ago, whitevanman said:

Careful what you post on this thread, it could come back to haunt you.

What has it come to in terms of our freedoms when we are really cautious in expressing our thoughts on how we would handle an adverse situation.  We are neutred in dealing with the bad guys before we even start.  Contrast this with the US where they have an absolute right to protect their home and family.  They could be quite explicit on how they would deal with such an event, and I don't think they have to be worried about a proportionate response once the bad guy crosses the threshold.   

LOL/..

cleared of all charges.... :P

I'd just scoop up what was left by the dogs, and dump it in their food bin for lunch the next day.....

Now that we are out in the sticks, the main problem is thefts from outbuildings. Not that private houses are targeted, mostly the surrounding farms. I cemented a shackle into the garage floor and chain the bike to it. They can have the rest!

17 minutes ago, AThirdWay said:

I'd just scoop up what was left by the dogs, ..

I cemented a shackle into the garage floor and chain ...

Have you thought about putting a plastic skeletal limb on the end of that?

Could solve all your outbuilding thefts in one go.

1 hour ago, Alba said:

What has it come to in terms of our freedoms when we are really cautious in expressing our thoughts on how we would handle an adverse situation.  We are neutred in dealing with the bad guys before we even start.  Contrast this with the US where they have an absolute right to protect their home and family.  They could be quite explicit on how they would deal with such an event, and I don't think they have to be worried about a proportionate response once the bad guy crosses the threshold.   

It's the way things are in the UK. Those that make the law are wealthy enough to be insulated from the criminals they enable. If the public had their way things would be very different. In the USA the Constitution allows people to defend their property and themselves, we don't have that protection.

An old colleague of mine heard thieves breaking into his van in the middle of the night. He ran out (naked) into the street and punched one of them in the face, breaking his jaw and putting him in hospital. You can guess the next bit, he was arrested for GBH (not public indecency). I don't know if he was ever convicted. The state is very keen to protect its monopoly on violence.

My first thought would probably be to get out of the house and then call the filth/help from a neighbour. 

Pity anyone who tried to break into my sister in law's house. She has a parang under her bed - and it's no tourist souvenir either. 

23 minutes ago, workingpoor said:

A Mace! 

Yup, together with a broadsword (made that myself so wouldn't use it), a double headed battle axe (more of an art piece), hand-axe (probably what I'd grab), a gladius and a dagger. Plus the obligatory katana!

I once gave chase to two scumbags at 7am, dressed only in my underpants, and brandishing a large hammer. They'd pinched my motorbike from the shed, and if I'd caught them, they were literally going to get hammered. The "red-mist" had completely taken me over, and now I'm glad I didn't catch them.

The copper who took my statement kept saying "No, Mr XYY, you *didn't* have a hammer. Forget about the hammer."

These days, I'd probably get locked-up...

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb