House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Help on the bus

Be interesting to see how it works. My local bus (when out of London) lowers if I am using a walking stick and has no problems with a ramp when I am in a wheelchair. I can usually get a disabled seat at the front if travelling out of peak times. 

However, if I am in London or any big city it's a different story. The driver is oblivious to a walking stick and will drive off before I can get a seat (if there is one). I'm invisible to the people on the bus and it's hard  to get seated. With a wheelchair the driver can just drive off or says there is a fault with the ramp. Then as people probably know there is the conflict with other users of the wheelchair space.

Occasionally use a Stagecoach bus as may apply for one and see how I get on. Will have to pay more attention to the bus company now and see which are Stagecoach.

Hmm.  Seems like a good idea, but I'd worry that infirm but proud people wouldn't get/use a card, and wouldn't be helped despite obvious impairment (because they've not brandished a card), while on the other hand the UK is rife with slightly impaired people trying it on, who'll cause chaos by always using the card even where they're actually capable enough.

I guess I'd be happier if all the staff were just properly trained and incentivised to identify anyone with an impairment (or, actually, any complication which needs assistance, like a mother with quintuplets, say) and to go the extra mile to assist them.

But this card scheme, on balance, would appear to be a laudable effort.

There seems to be a mismatch between conditions and card statements:

Who can apply for Journey Assistance Cards

You can apply for Journey Assistance Cards if you have:

• limited vision or hearing
  • difficulty in communicating
  • special educational needs

or if:

• English is not your first language
  • you need extra time or help to find a seat

Types of Journey Assistance Cards

Our Journey Assistance Cards have been developed with our trade body, the Confederation of Passenger Transport (CPT).

The cards available are:

• please be patient, I am deaf
  • please be patient, I am visually impaired
  • please be patient, I have difficulty speaking
  • please be patient, I am hard of hearing
  • please speak slowly and face me to help me hear better
  • please scan my pass for me
  • please count my change for me
  • please help me find a seat
  • please give me time to sit, in case I fall down
  • driver, please let me know when we get to . . .
  • please tell me when we reach my stop

As you can see, no available card with statement:

• please be patient, I'm Scottish.

:P

(runs for cover)

Seems well-intentioned, and probably makes sense for the deaf, but I don't really think my legally-blind youngest daughter will benefit much from any scheme like this.

The white-stick, and the golden retriever with the high-viz harness kind of announces to people that she may need some help.

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

I'd still rather drive. My elderly aunt had her wrist broken when a driver accelerated too fast away from a bus stop before she could sit down. Clinging to the pole, her wrist was snapped. She refused to complain to the bus co, even though it is a notifiable accident, because the bus company would ignore her complaint and it'd be a waste of time.

At almost 90, I guess enjoying her time is more important. 

6 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

At almost 90, I guess enjoying her time is more important. 

A recent invite via social-media to a school-reunion revealed that our first headmaster - who retired when we went comprehensive in 1979 - is still alive at 99.

He actually attended a reunion in 2011.

Several of my teachers are also regular attenders - most of them in their eighties.

I love to hear about independent and very much alive pensioners - fills me with deep joy.

If you ask me, there must have been some pretty decent stuff put in the water-supply round here between the wars...

XYY

41 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

A recent invite via social-media to a school-reunion revealed that our first headmaster - who retired when we went comprehensive in 1979 - is still alive at 99.

He actually attended a reunion in 2011.

Several of my teachers are also regular attenders - most of them in their eighties.

I love to hear about independent and very much alive pensioners - fills me with deep joy.

If you ask me, there must have been some pretty decent stuff put in the water-supply round here between the wars...

XYY

There's hope for us yet. My aunt will be 90 on Halloween this year. She still goes abroad two or three times a year with her friend. I'm in worse shape than she is...