House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Nokia 3310 - who's in?

I will be when Tesco mobile start offering them as I'm due a new one.  I didn't have one at the time so have no nostalgia for this particular phone (or the game Snake which I've not played) but I remember being very disappointed when my similar Sony phone (branded walkman) died and I was unable to replace it other than with some old new stock items.  I like the "mars bar" design which slips easily into a pocket, the robustness, and the fact that this (like my Sony) will comfortably last a week on one charge.

I wil also be happy to ditch my smartphone, I see people on them like slack-jawed idiots with no real life friends and then realise that that is what I look like when on mine.  It is a distracting attention thief that inhibits conversation, thought and memory.  Bye bye the future, hello the past.

005.jpg

My late lamented Sony; if only Sony would start making this again:

sonyericsson_w810i_add_6.jpg

My sort of phone! Almost bakelite with a bell!

Me.

I have a Nokia feature phone, which lasts 7 days standby on a charge. Not sure about talk time - I mainly text.

Id be happier if they ditched the camera. Its shit. It draws power.

To me, smartphones are too big, too power hungry and too expensive to be lugging around.

As long as I can tether to bluetooth so I can text via a proper kyd then Im happy.

Im noticing smartphoneitis more + more.

The fuglies at  the school gate were hardly the most chatty. Now, they dont even look up.

It would be an interesting social experiment to get rid of my smartphone for a month and see how I cope. I think I'm a bit addicted to it - mindlessly checking it every time you have a few seconds to yourself.

The only thing I think I 'need' is the diary entries - but I could transfer them over to a new phone. Especially if it's only a month's worth of entries to start off with.

Although I think the Sim Card in my iPhone 4 wouldn't transfer over to an 'old' phone easily, which might be the reason that I use not to try this!

7 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Im noticing smartphoneitis more + more.

I notice it alot when I see teens/20somethings sitting in cafe's together. When I meet a friend for a coffee, the phones stay off because I'm meeting them to actually talk to them. I see pairs of younger people not sitting opposite each other staring into their respective phones like there's nobody there.

10 minutes ago, callaght said:

The 3310 was an absolute classic of its time but there's no way I'm downgrading from my iPhone, we're light years ahead now

It's down to what you want.

For me music tech peaked with CDs so I stay with those, mobile phones peaked with those above and I would still be using my Sony had it not failed, I've said with cars that I would like old models built afresh rather than the bland identical ones from which I can choose these days (but I don't drive a classic because I don't want the maintenance and reliability issues of a forty year old car), and I will always prefer books / newspapers to a kindle or tablet (though I did at least give one a go).

Just because something is smaller / quicker / has more features does not mean that it is better. For example I can take videos on my smartphone; but I don't want to.

I've got a Sony Ericsson k750i and if it broke and I couldn't get a k300i second hand from ebay for a under a tenner, I'd certainly consider the 'new' 3310.

Couldn't think of life without my 750i or a legacy style phone, it's tiny and has good battery life.

In fact, yesterday, I bought a new battery for my Sony Ericsson k750i - for a fiver

I have an iPhone 4s that I use only for internet, e-mail, Google maps and never for calls. My 750i is for people to contact me by 'phone', I almost never use it to make calls.; I put £5 on the 750i about 12 months ago.

27 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's down to what you want.

For me music tech peaked with CDs so I stay with those, mobile phones peaked with those above and I would still be using my Sony had it not failed, I've said with cars that I would like old models built afresh rather than the bland identical ones from which I can choose these days (but I don't drive a classic because I don't want the maintenance and reliability issues of a forty year old car), and I will always prefer books / newspapers to a kindle or tablet (though I did at least give one a go).

Just because something is smaller / quicker / has more features does not mean that it is better. For example I can take videos on my smartphone; but I don't want to.

I'm surprised no-one produces the classic mini. It would seem like an open goal for some hipster trustafarian wanting to start a low volume niche car manufacturer.

4 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I'm surprised no-one produces the classic mini. It would seem like an open goal for some hipster trustafarian wanting to start a low volume niche car manufacturer.

I'd buy one like a shot depending upon price; if it cost the same as a Fiesta (and they're not cheap) then great but I wouldn't pay £30k for it. 

It would have the looks plus all the reliability of a new car and my local garage could source parts as readily for that as any other modern make.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'd buy one like a shot depending upon price; if it cost the same as a Fiesta (and they're not cheap) then great but I wouldn't pay £30k for it. 

It would have the looks plus all the reliability of a new car and my local garage could source parts as readily for that as any other modern make.

Not a chance it would get past modern safety requirements.

6 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Wouldn't pass modern safety standards. Would need a complete top to bottom redesign and I've no doubt it wouldn't come out looking like a classic mini. 

56 minutes ago, Northern Welsh Midlander said:

Not a chance it would get past modern safety requirements.

You could sell up to 350 a year in the USA under the "Low Volume Vehicle Act". There is also a low volume exemption in the UK too which is why Morgan and Bristol etc. can not only keep going, but can never clear their waiting lists.

Yeah if it were 20 quid it would be ok to take to the beach or where you might be mugged.

Thing I don't understand is, if you are alone in a cafe and not smartphoning what are you doing ? Staring vacantly into space ? Looking slack jawed at a book or newspaper ? Mesmerised by a TV on the wall ?

Maybe the next big thing will be trading in your clothes for flea ridden animal skins.

24 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

If it was £20 then I'd definitely get one for calls and texts.  £50? Err, no thanks.

Yeah, the price tag is too much.

I don't buy new phones - we get them as BIL & GF upgrades their phones.

i'd really miss the camera on mine but I have a flip camera that works.

I don't really know anything about the Nokia,  as I've never had one. But that Sony in the OP was my favourite phone of all time. It was so unreliable though. Off to be fixed /replaced several times, and then gave up. But when it was working, it was absolutely brilliant. 

I'll stick with my iPhone. Around a decade ago, I fondly imagined I could do without the far more primitive smartphones of the day and got some minimalistic Motorola which lasted forever batterywise, but only did calls & texts. Lasted about two weeks before I went back. 

Since getting the Pebble watch, I never check my iPhone - the Pebble'll buzz and give a quick preview if anything I actually need to see comes through.  I do really like having a good enough camera that's always with me. 

I won't be buying one because it isn't the real thing, only it's made to look like a Nokia 3310 with colour screen erghhh!!!

What i'd really like is a project mobile phone maybe utilising a raspberry pi, 3g network and e-ink display in a 3D printed body that's available for print in the public domain.

Does this thing do emails ?

I would have thought that's a pretty basic requirement for a work phone, which pretty much reduces the target market to OAPs who have no interest in tech and just want a cheap phone and for people who want something disposable or very low cost.