House Price Crash Forum

Sturgeon plans to announce new Scottish referendum

crazypabs

5 hours ago, AThirdWay said:

Ahem....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/02/spain-drops-plan-to-impose-veto-if-scotland-tries-to-join-eu

Plus, joining EFTA could be instantaneous, given the political will, with the suggestion that full membership could be " the fastest accession process of any EU state so far ".

http://www.scotsman.com/news/an-independent-scotland-could-be-fast-tracked-into-the-eu-1-4371192

I suspect that Scotland may get a sweetheart deal to join EFTA, basically to rub the rUK's nose in it, and after a couple of years of this, Sturgeon (in the case of the SNP still being in power) may then sideline full membership. Just musing, nothing at all to back that up....

I look forward to the first budget in an independent Scotland:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/apr/04/north-sea-oil-and-gas-industry-cost-taxpayer-396m-in-2016

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, onlooker said:

Yeah, it's quite incredible, isn't it? You do realise that NS resources are managed by Westminster don't you? You do realise that Scotland's GDP still remained positive through this slump in revenue? Oh... you didn't?

Then, of course, there is this:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/27/oil-exploration-firm-largest-undeveloped-discovery-uk-continental/

Aye, oil.... The UK's blessing, Scotland's curse.  Do one! :lol:

1 hour ago, Unbowed said:

It'll be even more amusing if they finally start pumping Oil from under Gatwick too!

It would be yes, as Scotland has everything to gain from a prosperous rUK. You do realise that would be a good thing for the rUK, yes? You do realise that Scotland does a lot of trade with the rUK, yes?

4 minutes ago, AThirdWay said:

Yeah, it's quite incredible, isn't it? You do realise that NS resources are managed by Westminster don't you? You do realise that Scotland's GDP still remained positive through this slump in revenue? Oh... you didn't?

Then, of course, there is this:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/27/oil-exploration-firm-largest-undeveloped-discovery-uk-continental/

Aye, oil.... The UK's blessing, Scotland's curse.  Do one! :lol:

I accept that since the profits of the N Sea were shared across the whole UK, so should the losses. So the slump in revenue applies across the whole UK, not just impacting Scotland. Since the economy of Scotland is not much different from the UK as a whole, and the UK has slowly pulled itself out of the great financial crisis, it is not surprising that Scotland's GDP has not suffered a disproportionate hit. The extra 10% of public spending under Barnett helps a lot though.

However, AIUI an independent Scotland's budget will depend critically on a healthy N Sea income. which just isn't there, and is very unlikely to be in the future. The 'largest undiscovered discovery' is hype - Hurricane's shares can still be picked up quite cheaply.

PS the Gatwick gusher is hype too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/04/2017 at 7:37 AM, copydude said:

The Conservatives look to gain quite a few seats from the SNP at the election, so it looks as if this issue will go on the back burner.

It was inevitable. If the tories had 617 out of 650 seats in Westminster (SNP currently holds approx. 95% of Scottish seats in Westminster), would you expect them to repeat that performance again and again? Of course not.

However, the referendum isn't in question. Sturgeon has her mandate, the Scottish Parliament has voted. Scotland will have an Indyref2, it's just a matter of when. This is real deja-vu stuff, as I can remember posting in this forum, prior to Sept. 2014, that independence was inevitable. It's a question of when, not if.

On 4/25/2017 at 2:41 PM, AThirdWay said:

It was inevitable. If the tories had 617 out of 650 seats in Westminster (SNP currently holds approx. 95% of Scottish seats in Westminster), would you expect them to repeat that performance again and again? Of course not.

Why not? Theresa May is increasing her majority on the strength of a sovereignty issue.

If, as you suggest, Scots are so gung-ho for independence, why would anyone vote for any English party, let alone the one most locked inside the City and the Westminster bubble? 

Moreover, why would a nation of Remainers vote for Ms Brexit means Brexit? 

It hardly seems logical.

9 hours ago, copydude said:

It hardly seems logical.

There's not a lot of logic in Scottish politics at the moment.

Many commited Remainers are prepared to vote for a hard Brexit rather than the SNP.

22 hours ago, copydude said:

Why not? Theresa May is increasing her majority on the strength of a sovereignty issue.

If, as you suggest, Scots are so gung-ho for independence, why would anyone vote for any English party, let alone the one most locked inside the City and the Westminster bubble? 

It hardly seems logical.

Yes, but do you see May getting 95% of Westminster seats? If not, then there is no comparison.

I've never suggested ALL Scots are "gung-ho for independence", I've always accepted the result of Indyref1, and even with the political upheaval of late, fully understand that there STILL isn't a majority support for independence in Scotland. I think it was a 32% leave vote as well, many indy supporters amongst them. So who does a unionist/leave voter vote for this year?

Labour? Aye, right!

Lib Dems? Well, as the only Lib Dem MP in Scotland is on legal record as admitting that he lied in 2010, probably not...

Leaving us with the tories as the only viable unionist party a committed unionist, or brexiteer, can place his/her X beside.

On 01/05/2017 at 0:37 AM, AThirdWay said:

They already have a mandate. 30 seats to stop the unionist parties bleating would be a more accurate headline (not that it will stop 'em of course!).

The SNP should talk more about their record in office:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/09/fewer-half-13-14-year-old-scots-pupils-can-write-properly-decade/

The figures from Scottish Survey of Literacy and Numeracy (SSLN), which Ms Swinney is abolishing, follow a major study published in December that showed Scotland has tumbled down international league tables for maths, reading and science and is now lagging behind other parts of the UK.

17 hours ago, onlooker said:

For a party that stated that education was their first priority, the SNP's performance in education has been poor. Swinney's been in post now for about a year now. He has until 2021 to turn these results around, or it's entirely likely the SNP will be out on their ear in Holyrood.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The SNP staked their future on their ability to outperform Westminster. If they fail to keep that up, they're out.

Of course, their record in other areas, such as the NHS and crime, is better than other parliaments in the UK, but you'll rarely read about that in the Torygraph. Count how many times Ruth Davidson's name appears in the pieces from their "Scottish Political Editor;)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/authors/simon-johnson/

6 hours ago, AThirdWay said:

For a party that stated that education was their first priority, the SNP's performance in education has been poor. Swinney's been in post now for about a year now. He has until 2021 to turn these results around, or it's entirely likely the SNP will be out on their ear in Holyrood.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The SNP staked their future on their ability to outperform Westminster. If they fail to keep that up, they're out.

Of course, their record in other areas, such as the NHS and crime, is better than other parliaments in the UK, but you'll rarely read about that in the Torygraph. Count how many times Ruth Davidson's name appears in the pieces from their "Scottish Political Editor;)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/authors/simon-johnson/

Is it the SNP performance that has been poor, or Scottish kids? Maybe they need easier exams?

Of course, abolishing the Scottish Survey of Literacy and Numeracy (SSLN) will neatly sweep the issue under the carpet.

As to the Scottish NHS, I am sure the wrinklies north of the border will vote for that, and damn the kids.

4 hours ago, onlooker said:

Is it the SNP performance that has been poor, or Scottish kids? Maybe they need easier exams?

Of course, abolishing the Scottish Survey of Literacy and Numeracy (SSLN) will neatly sweep the issue under the carpet.

As to the Scottish NHS, I am sure the wrinklies north of the border will vote for that, and damn the kids.

Scottish kids, Welsh kids, English kids... they're all just kids mate. But they will be paying for the NHS when I'm 'wrinkly', so I need them to get the best start they can.

You've obviously got little knowledge of Scottish politics if you think 'wrinklies' are voting SNP btw  :lol:

From Ashcrofts indyref poll:

Also....

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/scots-deeply-divided-as-over-60s-firmly-say-no/