House Price Crash Forum

London ‘Trash Mafia’ Terrorizes Farmers, Dumps Tons of Rubbish in Fields

Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA441

If on such an industrial scale, Could this affect land prices?  

Cost of clear up becomes a liability .

London ‘Trash Mafia’ Terrorizes Farmers, Dumps Tons of Rubbish in Fields

http://heatst.com/life/london-trash-mafia-terrorizes-farmers-dumps-tons-of-rubbish-in-fields/?link=TD_heatst_articles.47942&utm_source=heatst_articles.47942&utm_campaign=circular&utm_medium=HEATST

........British farmers are living in fear because the “London trash mafia” which is engaging in industrial-scale rubbish dumping in the area.

Prominent East End London gangsters are thought to be behind the illegal racket, in which trucks laden with dumpsters are invading fields at night and leaving hundreds of tons of waste behind. Experts claim the “business” is worth up to $1.20 billion, The Times reported.

Farmers in Essex county, outside London, claim there have been more than 100 cases of “industrial-scale fly-tipping” since September. Adam Scott, of the National Farmers Union (NFU) said, “This is serious, organized crime and they are making serious amounts of money.”

Unlike regular illegal waste dumping that comes from vans and cars, the waste arriving on Essex farms is coming in eight-wheeled trucks with hydraulic lifts.

“It’s not coming straight from a site clearance,” Mr Scott added. “It appears to be coming from a recycling site.”

Numerous farmers claimed they are scared of confronting the trash mafia terrorizing the area out of fears that it’s linked to a major London crime boss.

“These are really nasty pieces of work,” Will Dickinson, chairman of an East Anglian forum for the NFU, said. “Our members are worried about confronting them [lest] their legs end up in concrete.”

One farmer, Phil Cottey, said the waste the mafia left it was so thoroughly compressed it looked like a giant building block. “They had perfectly straight edges, as though it had been packed by a machine. It was like tipping out a sandcastle.”

One of the loads, according to the reports, was almost entirely made up of gypsum plasterboard, which is illegal to dump in landfill sites.

“It’s because of the landfill tax,” Rob Stacey, whose farm is near Mr Cottey’s, said. “It costs an awful lot of money to tip industrial waste into landfill. It’s easier for them to tip it into the countryside.”

“We know people are going out and areas are being reconnoitered for it to take place,” he added. “We are told to lock up your fields, lock up your gates, but these guys drive straight through. The only way you can do it is by declaring your farm a fortress and dig a big moat.”

To fight the illegal dumping of waste, police in Hertfordshire have installed covert cameras to catch the criminals. The local council claimed there had been 400 cases of illegal fly-tipping since September, but mostly on a smaller scale than in Essex.

Across Britain, there have recently been more than 900,000 recorded cases of illegal waste disposal, ....

HOLA442
HOLA443

Anybody would think that individual and companies relish in producing waste. It is a natural side effect of any sort of activity, activity which the government encourages every step of the way to maintain GDP, even if it means printing money out of thin air. Then, to hit everybody with the naughty stick (and extract tax in the process) the government lay down swathes of waste regulations that prevent cheap/efficient and in particular free disposal of that waste. In the process they actively encourage dumping outside of the waste system.

This is a problem almost entirely of politicians' making.

HOLA444
48 minutes ago, Si1 said:

If the landowners get to profit at every one else's e expense then should we be surprised that respect has broken down

Well put. Similar idea to constant littering near to houses for sale to immediately slash 20% off the batshit prices. Worth a serious consideration if you're a buyer in this market 

HOLA445

Investing in better recycling and environmental protection would be an obvious candidate for some kind of People's QE.  It would create a lot of jobs from unskilled to highly technical / scientific jobs. It wouldn't displace any other significant industry. It would be local, and of course it would dramatically improve the environment. 

HOLA446

Disposing of commercial waste costs a sodding fortune, is it any wonder people are cheating the system?? Government policy re waste is to screw as much out of the process as possible, and our old friend the law of unintended consequences strikes again. 

HOLA447

It would be worth monitoring the cancer rates in Essex & comparing to the average  

Triangle of death (Italy)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_of_death_(Italy)

The term "triangle of death" was first used with regard to the region in an August 2004 scientific publication.[4][5][6]

An estimated 550,000 people live in this area. The annual death rate per 100,000 inhabitants from liver cancer is close to 34.5 for men and 20.8 for women, as compared to the national average of 14. The death rate for bladder cancer and cancer of the central nervous system is higher than in other European countries, although by a more modest increment. Campania, overall, has a lower-than-average cancer mortality rate than Italy.

The high death rate is due to illegal and improper hazardous waste disposal from various outside and Italian government censored sources and transported by various organized crime groups including the Camorra. [7]

The Lancet Oncology article noted:

Today, the difference between lawful management of waste and illegal manipulation with regard to their compliance with health regulations is very narrow, and the health risks are rising.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA448

After seeing the film Gamorrah, I have seen "made in Italy" on food as a sign of something to be avoided, due to the amount of toxic waste dumping on Italian farm land.

Totally agree with the point about the government persueing a policy of GDP growth at any cost, without thinking of the increased waste you get from the GDP (especially from low quality GDP growth like through consumption and immigration).

HOLA449
6 hours ago, thewig said:

Well put. Similar idea to constant littering near to houses for sale to immediately slash 20% off the batshit prices. Worth a serious consideration if you're a buyer in this market 

Really ? What absolutely stupid zero sum thinking

We have a serious problem with scum littering our public spaces and you advocate more of it 

I guess there will always be a hidden chav in some people

HOLA4410
7 hours ago, Si1 said:

If the landowners get to profit at every one else's e expense then should we be surprised that respect has broken down

The 2 are not connected and certainly not by a criminal gang or family 

Always makes me laugh people siding with organised crime as if they were Robin Hood

Your not normally as dumb frankly Si1

HOLA4411
33 minutes ago, Greg Bowman said:

Really ? What absolutely stupid zero sum thinking

We have a serious problem with scum littering our public spaces and you advocate more of it 

I guess there will always be a hidden chav in some people

Not really as the littering would stop as soon as you move in.

HOLA4412
15 hours ago, Greg Bowman said:

The 2 are not connected and certainly not by a criminal gang or family 

Always makes me laugh people siding with organised crime as if they were Robin Hood

Your not normally as dumb frankly Si1

Hey I don't condone it. I'm just not surprised by it.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
On 2/26/2017 at 11:04 AM, onlyme2 said:

Anybody would think that individual and companies relish in producing waste. It is a natural side effect of any sort of activity, activity which the government encourages every step of the way to maintain GDP, even if it means printing money out of thin air. Then, to hit everybody with the naughty stick (and extract tax in the process) the government lay down swathes of waste regulations that prevent cheap/efficient and in particular free disposal of that waste. In the process they actively encourage dumping outside of the waste system.

This is a problem almost entirely of politicians' making.

It can only get worse as the population increases.  

The basic problem is also seen in the street litter bins which get very quickly crammed to overflow compared to the past.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4415
2 hours ago, Greg Bowman said:

No it wouldn't Chav's don't have diaries that's the point

what exactly do you class as a ch**? Some people find that term extremely offensive, what other charming terms do you use for people of a different background from yourself?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

The point is that there are quite a lot of people who don't give a damn about things like litter everywhere, including right around where they live. Whatever you think of the term "chav" probably covers a fair number of them. It won't be an accurate fit to all such people, but suggest a better one.

HOLA4419
4 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

The point is that there are quite a lot of people who don't give a damn about things like litter everywhere, including right around where they live. Whatever you think of the term "chav" probably covers a fair number of them. It won't be an accurate fit to all such people, but suggest a better one.

I personally don't agree with putting people in boxes through lazy labelling. It's inhumane and mindless and leads us down a slippery slope as the prior few posts demonstrate quite well imo.

(except DEBTjunkies, those suckers deserve everything coming their way)

HOLA4420
11 minutes ago, thewig said:

I personally don't agree with putting people in boxes through lazy labelling. It's inhumane and mindless and leads us down a slippery slope as the prior few posts demonstrate quite well imo.

Only if you view them as rigidly defined pigeonholes that you can't deviate from and must always blindly apply the same rules to. People who make decisions like that ("this fits in this pigeonhole best, and that pigeonhole is bad, therefore everything I've put in it is therefore bad - yay, I've not had to make up my own mind about whether it's good or bad, all done for me, and I hate thinking") are idiots but broad labels are convenient shortcuts, without which you'll bog down every conversation with endless detail.

Conversely to worrying about labelling refusing to do so can result in being unable to see the wood for the trees.

And you're still completely overlooking the point that was being made and just going on about the word used instead, typical diversionary tactics there.

Edited by Riedquat

HOLA4421
1 minute ago, Riedquat said:

Only if you view them as rigidly defined pigeonholes that you can't deviate from and must always blindly apply the same rules to. People who make decisions like that ("this fits in this pigeonhole best, and that pigeonhole is bad, therefore everything I've put in it is therefore bad - yay, I've not had to make up my own mind about whether it's good or bad, all done for me, and I hate thinking") are idiots but broad labels are convenient shortcuts, without which you'll bog down every conversation with endless detail.

And you're still completely overlooking the point that was being made and just going on about the word used instead, typical diversionary tactics there.

"typical diversionary tactics" :lol: er no, back on topic, and to my original point can you define what you mean by ch** then?

HOLA4422

Here's a solution a friend put into action. His farm was near London and he trained police dogs on it. He and his men would block in the fly tipping truck and tell them to put it all back on the truck. Failure to do so would result in the dogs cornering the miscreants and every bit of glass on the truck being smashed with a crowbar. The message soon got around and the fly tipping ceased.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424