House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sledgehead

Nanny State Strikes Again, and We Pay Again, and Again ...

17 years after Gordon Brown bribed us to do the right thing, and go diesel, Chris Graying intends to bribe us to do the right thing and give up diesel.

Both bribes of course come courtesy of the tax-payer.

Thanks government.

Coincidentally, today I also see a van in a neighbour's drive:

11282498_1588845394721818_1116217272_o.j

Googling "Vac-Xtract", I find they are a company established to cash in on the growing demand for Cavity Wall Insulation extraction.

They aren't the only ones. Google "cavity wall compensation" and you'll see a list of solicitors queuing up to take advantage of the 'opportunity'. One such solicitor declares eagerly:

Experts predict that cavity wall compensation could rival PPI as the next big trend.

Back in October the bill for PPI topped £40bn.

The difference is this bill will be totally on the tax payer, because the compensation unit, CIGA (the Cavity Wall Insulation Guarantee Scheme), has only £18m in the bank.

And while you're paying that bill, just remember, you paid and are still paying to have the stuff put in other people's house in the first place.

Diesel appears to be the latest thing attacked with a pathetically over-simplified "it's evil!" message, probably dreamed up by people who live in London (where it may well be an issue) for a stupid blanket message to the entire country.

16 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Diesel appears to be the latest thing attacked with a pathetically over-simplified "it's evil!" message, probably dreamed up by people who live in London (where it may well be an issue) for a stupid blanket message to the entire country.

Surely, if you are gonna encourage people to avoid diesel / give it up, you should have already banned wood burning stoves? Stoves are instead regulated - ie approved. I anticipate another tax-payer funded drive to encourage people away from these, smelly, inconvenient, retrograde, polluting affectations in maybe 5 years.

It'll go full cycle when they discover the sub 4micron particulates produced by modern petrol engines are far more dangerous than those produced by diesels because they penetrate deeper into the lungs causing increased associated health issues.. etc etc

The people in charge ban cigarettes - yet allow the use of internal combustion engines.

The people in charge are not logical...

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

They need to ban the polluting diesel buses first.  I was breathing the fumes leaking into the bus because it was so poorly maintained.

20 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

Surely, if you are gonna encourage people to avoid diesel / give it up, you should have already banned wood burning stoves? Stoves are instead regulated - ie approved. I anticipate another tax-payer funded drive to encourage people away from these, smelly, inconvenient, retrograde, polluting affectations in maybe 5 years.

That would be another "hit everyone with the same thing even though the problem is very locally confined" sledgehammer. Broadly speaking they're often a dodge around the (reasonable) smokeless zones and not an issue at all outside them, and even within them it only seems to be a small number of places with enough to cause problems.

With buses I've heard it claimed that the regulations created diesel engines that are rather better for long runs but worse for stop-start, i.e. exactly what's no good for buses, and improves things where there isn't much a problem and makes them worse where there is.