House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Corbyn by-election excuses

I don't normally watch eiither Newsnight or QT anymore. But both are going heavily tonight on excuses for why Labour don't win either by-election tonight.

Newsnight was going down the route of blaming Blair - yes, Blair - for upsetting Corbyn's carefully balanced, (I think that was their words), position on Europe by coming out with his BREXIT stuff in the past week. Newsnight was saying that, tomorrow, Corbyn loyalists are going to go after those in the Labour Party whom they see as letting down or betraying Corbyn.

You couldn't make this stuff up. But then along comes QT.

According to several in the QT audience and the Labour lady on the panel the problem that Corbyn and Labour has is, wait for this, that the Media is so against them. Nothing more needs to be said.

Labour arn't left wing enough....

Although, as a bue collary Labour type, Im profoundly sad about the state  of Labour ,all down to Gordy the tnuc. I hope this clears up the sort of Labour party the UK wants. Sadly it comes too late.

2 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

Both the Tory and the Blairite media have had it in for Corbyn. He is having to have a grass roots type direct social media operation to avoid mainstream media. Not unlike Trump.

7 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Labour arn't left wing enough....

Although, as a bue collary Labour type, Im profoundly sad about the state  of Labour ,all down to Gordy the tnuc. I hope this clears up the sort of Labour party the UK wants. Sadly it comes too late.

Corbyn is pretty left wing. He tried to purge the Blairites out which needed doing. The problem is that he isn't PM material and he is surrounded by a complete shower of idiots and crazies. He should have appointed more Northern trade union types.

He'll never be popular with traditional Labour voters now. Someone with a hardline stance on immigration, which is the biggest issue, needs to step in. Being from Islington rules you out. 

2 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Corbyn is pretty left wing. He tried to purge the Blairites out which needed doing. The problem is that he isn't PM material and he is surrounded by a complete shower of idiots and crazies. He should have appointed more Northern trade union types.

He'll never be popular with traditional Labour voters now. Someone with a hardline stance on immigration, which is the biggest issue, needs to step in. Being from Islington rules you out. 

Corbyn is left left wing, and more Marxist nut job.

There's no balancing of ideas or anything. Just this pure committee says so, off to the gulag for you.

He's a total tnuc.

4 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I should add that there were no Blairites left. Brown saw to that.

All youve got a collection of the useless, chairing a direction committee.

Seems like Labour has Stoke in the bag. They thought they had Copeland too. All the ballot boxes in from the council estates, none yet from the rural hinterland. You would have thought Labour party officials would have factored that.

Copeland getting interesting..

Labour so euphoric when the first ballot boxes arrived off the council estates that Question Time called it for Labour. A bit of a Sunderland moment.

Now they have backed off and at 11:46 one even conceded.

I guess still too close to call.

12 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Copeland getting interesting..

Labour so euphoric when the first ballot boxes arrived off the council estates that Question Time called it for Labour. A bit of a Sunderland moment.

Now they have backed off and at 11:46 one even conceded.

I guess still too close to call.

Interesting.

UKIP guy at Stoke talking to Andrew Neil now sounds despondent.

4 hours ago, workingpoor said:

Labour 7853

UKIP 5233

Cons 5153

(stoke) 

Labour s*****g hailing it as a victory against "hatred & bigotry" meh 

How tiny are those votes? This looks like one of those constituencies that is going to get a serious merge when the boundary reforms kick in.

54 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

How tiny are those votes? This looks like one of those constituencies that is going to get a serious merge when the boundary reforms kick in.

Only a 37% turnout - I always make a point ov voting, but so many of the electorate just sit on their asses in front of Emmerdale and Ant and Dec.

Stoke was always an ask for UKIP though, what with the anti Lab being split 2 ways between UKIP and Tories. They can sink to 40% of the vote and always get in. FPTP just isn't fit for a multi party situation. 

4 hours ago, workingpoor said:

Tories took Copeland from Labour 

2147 majority! 

Almost unheard of in by election history 

Isn't it the first time the Government in power has actually made a bye election gain since 1982? 

7 minutes ago, newbonic said:

Only a 37% turnout - I always make a point ov voting, but so many of the electorate just sit on their asses in front of Emmerdale and Ant and Dec.

Stoke was always an ask for UKIP though, what with the anti Lab being split 2 ways between UKIP and Tories. They can sink to 40% of the vote and always get in. FPTP just isn't fit for a multi party situation. 

The Tories and UKIP really need to come to an agreement at the next election so the party with the larger % of the vote stands and the other one supports them,

Then we'd get a true Brexit parliament.

In today's Times (printed before the results) they are blaming low turnout at least partly on Storm Doris. 

So presumably that will be the excuse for Corbyn and his cronies. 

9 hours ago, hotairmail said:

Both the Tory and the Blairite media have had it in for Corbyn. He is having to have a grass roots type direct social media operation to avoid mainstream media. Not unlike Trump.

There's no Tory media to speak of. Neoliberal media in support of the standard Neoliberal agenda: globalisation, privatisation, deregulation etc.

But facing down Eddie Hitler was a big win for Corbyn. I don't think he'll be unhappy this morning.

1 hour ago, SpewLabour said:

The Tories and UKIP really need to come to an agreement at the next election so the party with the larger % of the vote stands and the other one supports them,

Then we'd get a true Brexit parliament.

I live in a seat with a similar profile to Stoke. It's the tribal Tory vote that keeps labour in by splitting the non Lab vote. It's South Yorks, so the Tories have approx zero chance of getting elected - it's not that far away where effigies of Thatcher were burnt when she died! But Lab will always get 100% of the seats with <45% of the votes around here.

I dislike tactical voting in principal, but it's the least worst option with FPTP when there are 3 or 4 credible parties. That's why I signed https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/168657 to force MPs to debate PR. We have until 6 April to get from 86k votes to 100k to do that though.

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Our by-election in Failsworth to replace the cllr who is now the MP had 18% turnout.

34 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Well it was a bit of an SJW Haridan v Trudy Gorgeous. Even her northern vowels are gorgeous...............................................................

Surprised Bill Murray didn't win.

A point re. the Labour and Tory spokespeople on election special. For God's sake keep this guy off our screen. Matt Hancock has the petualant indignation of Miliband and the arrogance of Cameron. He plays badly to an audience. Barry Gardiner, for Labour, as mentioned elsewhere; absolutely brilliant

Matt-Hancock2_3059834b-large_trans_NvBQz