House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Terrible way to live - overcrowded

I'd be looking at chopping that up into two, then two again (horizontal AND vertical) and bang another three families in there. Offer them all a nice cheeky teaser rate on the rents, friendly discount then once they're good and settled, BANG, up go the rents. Works every time.

It is Terrible

Obviously we should provide larger family houses for people who migrate here > into social housing > in the South east.

Why on earth would you have more kids when in this situation?

How about this for a sob story I live in a flat also with a wife 3 kids but I earn much more then average wage and had to pay 180k for it and now a house with enough space is 450k!

Move to cheaper area ...ok trying to but houses are 350k there.  I wait and wait as I feel the situation is unsustainable.

There are thousands of tax paying families stuck in overcrowded terraced houses and flats across the country many of whom choose not to have/have more kids.

Edited by Fromage Frais

59 minutes ago, Fromage Frais said:

There are thousands of tax paying families stuck in overcrowded terraced houses and flats across the country many of whom choose not to have/have more kids.

Indeed. There are several couples raising two kids in the two bed houses in my 'close' (All identical)

The property is fine for me and maybe an occasional guest but I shudder at the the thought of the above.

54 minutes ago, Sancho Panza said:

I speak as a second generation immigrant from Leicester,married to a first generation immigrant from South Africa,making me feel hypocritical for saying the following.

This country doesn't have a housing problem per se,it has a migration problem which is made worse by corporations seeking cheap labour alongside the benefits system which rewards people farming and encourages people to expect to live wherever they want,no matter what the cost to the taxpayer.

Lot of my mates whose parents came over in the 60's/70's worked any job they could and lived in the back room of a terrace with their families to set themselves up.Maybe I'm remembering through rose tinted glasses.

Worth pointing out that many migrants-Mrs Panza included-have no recourse to public funds for five years after arrival no matter how much tax you've paid.

I was ok reading that until 

alongside the benefits system which rewards people farming and encourages people to expect to live wherever they want,no matter what the cost to the taxpayer.

Could explain that bit please?

1 hour ago, cashinmattress said:

Hey. Just about two generations of Brits enjoyed having some space to live in. It will be a statistical blip.

Yup, a post World War 2 blip when a bog-standard earner could afford to raise a family and buy a decent house in a decent area on one bog-standard wage. They couldn't dream of it before and we're getting to the stage where that will be a memory. Future generations will get used to renting will be mystified that such a thing could be possible.

34 minutes ago, sPinwheel said:

It's times like this I wish I was a 1%er.

Anyone know how to become one?

Work hard, knuckle down, pay your taxes on time, you'll get there. If you don't it's because you didn't want it enough.

19 hours ago, 999house said:

Why cant they just bugger off up north?

Because when you choose to economically migrate and can get social housing you choose to be in London if possible.

I have posed before my wife made friends with a lovely refugee lady with 2 kids who's husband was a political prisoner no question a genuine refugee.

She got a 2/3 bed house near the school in an estate in Norwich got bored and just posted the keys and went to London to be with the other Arabic speakers.

She is now in Stratford in a terraced house married to another refugee +1 a new kid (3) lovely people but an utter piss take.

I totally understand why people want to live with their own but the sad irony is that in middle of the road nice lefty places like Norwich being from x country is unique and interesting and as such she would have been able to get a job and contribute/integrate.  In London she is just another foreigner and will never integrate fully and admits she never speaks english during the day.

Edited by Fromage Frais

....sometimes just having a safe space is better that a bigger space that is not at all safe, a place that is not safe but dangerous......having a small space with an outside community with work close by better than a bigger space in a wilderness......what at first is a gift then turns to be a right, an entitlement.....always wanting more......quality not quantity.;)

19 hours ago, Maynardgravy said:

More immigration please. We still have pantries empty in some houses.

Nowhere does it blame the real cause of the housing crisis in London. Two million (25 per cent) more residents than 15 years ago - while at the same time 750,000 white Brits have left.

Is it the UK taxpayers job - many of whom are priced out of our capital - to house the world in one of the most expensive cities in the world??

13 minutes ago, Fromage Frais said:

Because when you choose to economically migrate and can get social housing you choose to be in London if possible.

I have posed before my wife made friends with a lovely refugee lady with 2 kids who's husband was a political prisoner no question a genuine refugee.

She got a 2/3 bed house near the school in an estate in Norwich got bored and just posted the keys and went to London to be with the other Arabic speakers.

She is now in Stratford in a terraced house married to another refugee +1 a new kid (3) lovely people but an utter piss take.

I totally understand why people want to live with their own but the sad irony is that in middle of the road nice lefty places like Norwich being from x country is unique and interesting and as such she would have been able to get a job and contribute/integrate.  In London she is just another foreigner and will never integrate fully and admits she never speaks english during the day.

Racist.

2 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

Nowhere does it blame the real cause of the housing crisis in London. Two million (25 per cent) more residents than 15 years ago - while at the same time 750,000 white Brits have left.

Is it the UK taxpayers job - many of whom are priced out of our capital - to house the world in one of the most expensive cities in the world??

London has become gentrified......the rich from all over the world inc UK came to reap so called rewards, the rest are both willing and prepared to live there living in cramped spaces, rather than live with open and comfortable space elsewhere.......you are right thousands born there have left or are preparing to leave......life moves on, times change, not always for the better......close the door behind you.;)

6 minutes ago, winkie said:

....sometimes just having a safe space is better that a bigger space that is not at all safe, a place that is not safe but dangerous......having a small space with an outside community with work close by better than a bigger space in a wilderness......what at first is a gift then turns to be a right, an entitlement.....always wanting more......quality not quantity.;)

I keep thinking your posts are cryptic because of the wink at the end. Then I noticed your profile picture... Then I noticed your name!

How many of your 35k posts have you added a wink to? rough estimate in percentage terms? 

3 minutes ago, thewig said:

I keep thinking your posts are cryptic because of the wink at the end. Then I noticed your profile picture... Then I noticed your name!

How many of your 35k posts have you added a wink to? rough estimate in percentage terms? 

Most of them because people do things for a reason, often selfish reasons and TPTB are happy to accommodate for as long as they think they will benefit until they don't, or no longer do innit......;)

Just now, winkie said:

Most of them because people do things for a reason, often selfish reasons and TPTB are happy to accommodate for as long as they think they will benefit until they don't, or no longer do innit......;)

Woah. Jack Steven :ph34r:

30 minutes ago, thewig said:

Racist.

Must be even though this case the person is the same race and religion as me.

Maybe Xenophobic more accurate.

Edited by Fromage Frais

33 minutes ago, winkie said:

London has become gentrified......the rich from all over the world inc UK came to reap so called rewards, the rest are both willing and prepared to live there living in cramped spaces, rather than live with open and comfortable space elsewhere.......you are right thousands born there have left or are preparing to leave......life moves on, times change, not always for the better......close the door behind you.;)

If people want to live in London fine. Not sure why the UK taxpayer should be expected to pay for their housing - being my point. It is the huge numbers of people arriving annually that are driving the housing crisis - if you are a labourer on a low wage with several kids choosing to move there from abroad don't complain about your UK taxpayer funded housing in an expensive area of the UK!

In the end there really is little point building 30000 homes a year in London when 200000 extra people are moving there each year. 

As for London becoming 'gentrified' I might suggest as many parts - often in outer London -  have gone the opposite way.

i would simply ban anyone claiming housing benefit and other welfare benefits for their first 3 years in the UK. Similarly you should require private health insurance unless we have a reciprocal NHS equivalent health agreement with your home country. If you are a 'net contributor' that shouldn't be an issue.  

Oddly it what most countries do. Housing benefit doesn't exist in almost all of Eastern Europe.

55 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

If people want to live in London fine. Not sure why the UK taxpayer should be expected to pay for their housing - being my point. It is the huge numbers of people arriving annually that are driving the housing crisis - if you are a labourer on a low wage with several kids choosing to move there from abroad don't complain about your UK taxpayer funded housing in an expensive area of the UK!

In the end there really is little point building 30000 homes a year in London when 200000 extra people are moving there each year. 

As for London becoming 'gentrified' I might suggest as many parts - often in outer London -  have gone the opposite way.

i would simply ban anyone claiming housing benefit and other welfare benefits for their first 3 years in the UK. Similarly you should require private health insurance unless we have a reciprocal NHS equivalent health agreement with your home country. If you are a 'net contributor' that shouldn't be an issue.  

Oddly it what most countries do. Housing benefit doesn't exist in almost all of Eastern Europe.

People move there because generally people like to live close to people they see as similar to themselves, in an area where the probability of obtaining a job is greater.....they are building thousands of new flats/apartments in London because the demand is there....anyway loads of people who own in London, rent a place out in London, no longer live in London......anybody can live where they want to live, would be awful if only the rich lived in one specific area, the poor would be left to be their slave, wipe their bums, clean their toilets on the cheap....there is overcrowding because the rents are so high.....pack 'em in pile 'em high, hot beds......unintended consequences?.....