HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Rather condescending to suggest fruit and vegetables are cheap. These doctors probably don't go shopping, and when you are on 100k per year everything is cheap I suppose.

A bag of bread flour is 75p, a bag of porridge is 50p, a bag of pasta is 35p, a bag of spinach is £1.15 you clueless fools.

I am vegetarian, I do get a year's supply of blackberries and apples free so that's two. Five is probably average at best.

I note spinach and apples come out tops which is encouraging. Spinach raw, is our side veg of choice.

Probably best not advertise that, could get the oily fish factor. Pilchards used to be 37p a tin, now well over a quid. If the middle classes get onto spinach it will be two quid a bag.

HOLA4413
9 minutes ago, Alonso Quijano said:

An unreachable target is a pointless one, one that will be ignored.

Similar the new alcohol guidelines saying that merely looking at beer could give you cancer or something.

Exactly.

If they said "three" then people would make a change to their diet to make sure they did get three portions of fruit or veg each and every day.  They would make a point of it.

By saying "ten" people just concede and stick at their one or none.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Exactly.

If they said "three" then people would make a change to their diet to make sure they did get three portions of fruit or veg each and every day.  They would make a point of it.

By saying "ten" people just concede and stick at their one or none.

On a programme this morning it said that the reason ten had an effect over five was not the extra five but eating ten crowds out the bad stuff like salt. So the benefit is what goes with the territitory and what you aren't eating.

HOLA4416
1 minute ago, crashmonitor said:

On a programme this morning it said that the reason ten had an effect over five was not the extra five but eating ten crowds out the bad stuff like salt. So the benefit is what goes with the territitory and what you aren't eating.

They don't really know that though do they?  That sounds as grounded in actual knowledge as the decades of lecturing us about having a low fat diet.  Nutrition seems as much a psuedo-science as homeopathy and reflexology.

For example I get night cramps if I don't get enough salt, which happens every few weeks as I don't eat crisps or much processed food,  so I don't think it's bad for me.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
36 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Rather condescending to suggest fruit and vegetables are cheap. These doctors probably don't go shopping, and when you are on 100k per year everything is cheap I suppose.

A bag of bread flour is 75p, a bag of porridge is 50p, a bag of pasta is 35p, a bag of spinach is £1.15 you clueless fools.

Carrots, onions, spuds (which apparently don't count) all seem to be pretty cheap, to the point where the economics of growing them don't seem to make much sense. Haven't bought a cabbage for a while or bag of frozen peas (they last me for ages).

HOLA4419
16 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

They don't really know that though do they?  That sounds as grounded in actual knowledge as the decades of lecturing us about having a low fat diet.  Nutrition seems as much a psuedo-science as homeopathy and reflexology.

For example I get night cramps if I don't get enough salt, which happens every few weeks as I don't eat crisps or much processed food,  so I don't think it's bad for me.

They tell us to drink loads of water and then tell us that salt should be kept to the barest minimum - recipe for salt imbalance. Only a tiny percentage of people need to limit their salt due to hypersensitivity. The current advice on salt is just as wrong as the advice about carbohydrates and saturated fat has been for the last 50 years.

HOLA4420
40 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

I am vegetarian, I do get a year's supply of blackberries and apples free so that's two. Five is probably average at best.

I note spinach and apples come out tops which is encouraging. Spinach raw, is our side veg of choice.

Probably best not advertise that, could get the oily fish factor. Pilchards used to be 37p a tin, now well over a quid. If the middle classes get onto spinach it will be two quid a bag.

One of those big bags of frozen veg from the supermarket costs about a pound, and does me for about a week.

Other fruit and veg is home grown or foraged, or marked down at the supermarket. Eg a cabbage is about 35p at the end of the day at the Co-Op, and lasts for ages. 

I am regularly shocked at the price of fruit though. 

HOLA4421
3 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Carrots, onions, spuds (which apparently don't count) all seem to be pretty cheap, to the point where the economics of growing them don't seem to make much sense. Haven't bought a cabbage for a while or bag of frozen peas (they last me for ages).

Spuds count in countries that don't eat a lot of them - they don't count here because people would get most of their 5 a day from crisps and chips.

HOLA4422
1 minute ago, This time said:

Spuds count in countries that don't eat a lot of them - they don't count here because people would get most of their 5 a day from crisps and chips.

Perhaps I should've also mentioned that they'll cost more to people who insist on avoiding the degrading hardship of having to put them in a bag themselves and wash and peel them before cooking.

HOLA4423

What a stupid instruction, a confusing, idiotic instruction, ten of what, ten grapes, ten cabbages? ten leaves of a lettuce or curly kale...I know, ten blueberries, they are good or six peas a carrot and whatever on top of a pizza......ignore the lot and use own common sense because most people who tell you what you should be doing are stupid, and they talk to others as if they are stupid.....the blind leading the blind.;)

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived