House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

If you're landlord attempts to put your rent up due to S24 what will you do

If you're landlord attempts to put your rent up due to S24 what will you do  

55 members have voted

1. 1. If you're landlord attempts to put your rent up due to S24 what will you do

• Refuse the rise and give notice
    • Refuse the rise and stop paying rent in protest, then wait for the property to be repossessed and then offer to buy it
    • Bend over and take it up the wrong 'un
    • Give your children to the Landlord as a down payment
    • Wreck the joint then leave
    • Emmigrate
    • Lift several floorboards and put dead fish under each
    • Doff you cap and say thank you m'lord
    • Get straight onto the council
    • Show them that you have no more money and ask them what they expect you to do ?
    • Ask for a 50% rent cut due to UK rents being the highest in the Universe
    • Notify the tax man and mortgage company just to make sure it's all legit.

Tell him that you can't really believe this tax thing and that you are going to ring HMRC and give them exact details of all rent paid, repairs done, furniture not supplied (that lovely six piece dining set that was delivered and then removed immediately for example) so that they can confirm that he is right about this tax rise malarkey.

He won't do it because of S24 since he owns the place outright and has no financing costs. If anything he'll keep it stable as rents generally haven't risen much round here and he appreciates a long-term tenant with 2 years of regular rent payments so far.

I will however be laughing at the BTL scumlords caught up by S24 who think all landlords are in the same boat as them. They're in for a shock when the market - dominated by non-BTL landlords - does not rise to meet their rent rises and they can't get new tenants.

Edited by RentingForever

16 minutes ago, sPinwheel said:

That implies you are still liable for the original rate of rent. You can't just stop paying altogether   

yes of course, you continue to pay the original rate while the case is ongoing. I would never advocate "not paying" this is just a means to stall and cause trouble. 

Yup, refuse, wait for him them to issue notice and start looking. I'd probably also send them a list of the places I was going to view and see if their mind had been changed.

Also, you missed off toploading...

Edited by malk

31 minutes ago, Sandwiches33 said:

yes of course, you continue to pay the original rate while the case is ongoing. I would never advocate "not paying" this is just a means to stall and cause trouble. 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

If they attempt to put your rent up in that situation then you know chances are they are in trouble. Probably cant afford a void or have some dubious tax issues let alone a legal dispute.

They just gave you a "tell" and its time to go in for the kill.

Worst that can happen is they chuck you out but as renters we are all in that boat anyway so fk it might as well cause a bit of bother for sh1ts n giggles.

I would tell them I will move out unless I get a rent reduction and hand in my notice. 

although when renting I always deliberately paid £5 over my rent each month, and then I could always ask for it back when they wanted to put rents up.

so double whammy of 'I'm moving out and I have been overpaying, where's my £280?'

5 hours ago, CunningPlan said:

Tell him that you can't really believe this tax thing and that you are going to ring HMRC and give them exact details of all rent paid, repairs done, furniture not supplied (that lovely six piece dining set that was delivered and then removed immediately for example) so that they can confirm that he is right about this tax rise malarkey.

That is indeed a cunning plan ?

Me and the wife would go away for a six month holiday, leaving our feral kids behind with the instruction that if a strange man knocks on the front door he is the local paedo, on now account should they answer it and should pour the remains of their bedpan out of the window :-)

Go to the local travellers camp, tell them that we are going away for a six month holiday and ask them if they would mind keeping 'an eye' on our property as we dont want all that copper pipe in our heating system bursting!