House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sledgehead

BBC fires start pistol on fresh wave of stereotyping jokes

Some great lines in that report, eg:

The proposals for a Scottish Six were in response to criticism that the News at Six often featured stories - for example on education and health - that had little relevance to Scottish audiences.

37 minutes ago, dgul said:

Some great lines in that report, eg:

The proposals for a Scottish Six were in response to criticism that the News at Six often featured stories - for example on education and health - that had little relevance to Scottish audiences.

Ever wondered where "accommodating" stops and "patronizing" begins?

Not a good example.

Ever wondered where patronizing stops and out-right piss-taking begins?

Now we're on to something :lol:

A new approach to the major biennial charitable telethons is in train.

Expect a re-naming to "Children in need of a thrift lesson."

Meanwhile Red Nose day will concentrate on those afflicted with rhinophyma

The scottish content of bbc scotland does seem to have improved a bit in the last few years. It used to be like watching "bbc england" but there seem to be some local wildlife/travel pograms now.

4 minutes ago, Steppenpig said:

The scottish content of bbc scotland does seem to have improved a bit in the last few years. It used to be like watching "bbc england" but there seem to be some local wildlife/travel pograms now.

There's always been stuff like the Beechgrove Garden and Landward but it was fairly limited in the pre digital days.

If it follows the lead of BBC Alba it should be a decent channel, or a TV version of Radio Scotland which has for years presented a Scottish view on the world without the need for tartan trimmings.

11 minutes ago, Steppenpig said:

The homeless Jakeys travelling down to Euston?

15 minutes ago, Steppenpig said:

Not having a telly I only have a passing interest in this but if TV is going to provide more programming relevant to its regional audiences then what about the regions of England? There are more people in each of the distinct regions that are the NW, NE, West Midlands, East Midlands, SW and SE than in Scotland and they would all benefit from more localised programming.

Sub-titling on the new channel is to receive extra money in a drive to attract more viewers speaking foreign languages, such as the English.

52 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Not having a telly I only have a passing interest in this but if TV is going to provide more programming relevant to its regional audiences then what about the regions of England? There are more people in each of the distinct regions that are the NW, NE, West Midlands, East Midlands, SW and SE than in Scotland and they would all benefit from more localised programming.

I suspect it's more about preventing Scotland breaking away from the Union, or if it does, to ensure that the BBC has a strong foothold there. 

55 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

They don't have distinct political propaganda needs. 

Bosses are looking to tap into regional culture with new Sunday evening comedy show, Last of the Summer Meths.

(Just tell me when you've had enough, honestly I can help myself)

That's harsh.

Thought I was doing alright ...

ish.

All this supposed demand for more regional representation within the meeja has got me thinking.

If supposedly English TV is dominated by the likes of Marr, Neil, Kuenssbergh, Bruce, Edwards, Wark, Norton etc, one can only suppose that this new channel will be wall-to-wall Jacob Rees-Mogg. That'll serve 'em right!

I would love to see more regional programming (and more regional independence generally) but it does seem to be hard and probably expensive to make stuff that's good and interesting. Scotland is a bit different from the English regions, with different institutions etc. Some of what goes on in England is irrelevant. The scottish versions of the daily papers have also scotchified up in the last few years.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I think the point is, mainly to do with the news is that it's currently at too high a level for Scotland. We already have regional news programs which supplement the main news. The issue with scotland is you miss out the middle chunk which is all the stuff Scotland does for itself, (NHS, Education, Law etc). 

Benefit of course is us here in England won't have to see fish face Sturgeon on our TV's ever again. 

44 minutes ago, Steppenpig said:

I would love to see more regional programming (and more regional independence generally) but it does seem to be hard ... to make stuff that's good and interesting.

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

They already have that... it's just called the BBC!

3 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

Sub-titling on the new channel is to receive extra money in a drive to attract more viewers speaking foreign languages, such as the English.

"an ingin ane an a"

1 hour ago, Sledgehead said:

That's harsh.

Thought I was doing alright ...

ish.

All this supposed demand for more regional representation within the meeja has got me thinking.

If supposedly English TV is dominated by the likes of Marr, Neil, Kuenssbergh, Bruce, Edwards, Wark, Norton etc, one can only suppose that this new channel will be wall-to-wall Jacob Rees-Mogg. That'll serve 'em right!

:lol: fair point! To be honest, I'd rather watch Rees-Mogg than Neil or Marr! My particular favourite is Taylor, a fine figure of Scottish, and Dundonian, man.

anigif_enhanced-7253-1409059753-2_previe

2 hours ago, AThirdWay said:

My particular favourite is Taylor, a fine figure of Scottish, and Dundonian, man.

anigif_enhanced-7253-1409059753-2_previe

Looks like he'd make the ideal substitute for Paul Hollywood in my initial program suggestion!