Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Recommended Posts

On 21/02/2017 at 4:33 PM, ubuntu said:

obviously you don't frequent north Mnachester then, is full of them traditionally.Born and brought up in 80s Manchester, couldn't wait to get out.

Oh it's not all bad. Apart from the dinosaur attitudes of a lot of the old men, the awful tribalism that affects areas of Oldham (Kids won't go to other areas), and the nasty women from Newton Heath who do things in cars with men for money. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 22/02/2017 at 6:16 PM, jiltedjen said:

It was standing on the balcony of a flat in central Manchester looking out at all the new builds of flats at night when I first realised there will be a HPC. 

corridors empty no lights on at night, endless slave boxes stacked on each other.

someone is going to make some huge losses. With such a low level of occupancy these hulks of mal-investments will not be maintained properly.

There seem to be plenty of BTLers bailing out, with a few being repossessed, in the Northern Quarter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 14/03/2017 at 6:51 PM, ubuntu said:

depressing though, they've received an offer of £242.5k for that! ffs it's Newton St, a craphole.

Indeed. But it's in the 'northern quarter' therefore add loadsamoney to be in some mythical 'hipster' place despite it being in an absolute sh1thole as you say.

It looks inside like a student flat quite frankly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to love the sorting house. I wanted to live (rent) there in 2003. Then in 2004 I wanted to live at Timber Wharf. I would have been gutted by those 3 monstrosities they built in front of it (St George's Island?)

Not sure what it is about living in Cheshire (why do we become snobs?) but took the peasant way into Manchester this weekend. Off the tram at Piccadilly Gardens and walked up Market street. Won't be making that mistake again. Rough as ****** and a beggar/rough sleeper problem that is worse than it was in the late 90s.

will continue to get off the tram at deansgate and stick to the better bits of town in future. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, 24 year mortgage 8itch said:

I used to love the sorting house. I wanted to live (rent) there in 2003. Then in 2004 I wanted to live at Timber Wharf. I would have been gutted by those 3 monstrosities they built in front of it (St George's Island?)

Not sure what it is about living in Cheshire (why do we become snobs?) but took the peasant way into Manchester this weekend. Off the tram at Piccadilly Gardens and walked up Market street. Won't be making that mistake again. Rough as ****** and a beggar/rough sleeper problem that is worse than it was in the late 90s.

will continue to get off the tram at deansgate and stick to the better bits of town in future. 

 

Yes, it's pretty grim isn't it. I luckily don't have the pleasure of using Piccadilly station, but the area around piccadilly 'gardens' (where all the druggies hang out) opposite the bus stops and the walk from there down market street is grim.  As you go under that overpass bit (the escalator going up into the Arndale next to Boots) is just like some ghetto.

Luckily I only ever journey into the city centre once every few months to either give blood or go shopping for stuff I can't get elsewhere/order online

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, 24 year mortgage 8itch said:

I used to love the sorting house. I wanted to live (rent) there in 2003. Then in 2004 I wanted to live at Timber Wharf. I would have been gutted by those 3 monstrosities they built in front of it (St George's Island?)

Not sure what it is about living in Cheshire (why do we become snobs?) but took the peasant way into Manchester this weekend. Off the tram at Piccadilly Gardens and walked up Market street. Won't be making that mistake again. Rough as ****** and a beggar/rough sleeper problem that is worse than it was in the late 90s.

will continue to get off the tram at deansgate and stick to the better bits of town in future. 

 

That's not just a Manchester problem, its happening everywhere.  It makes you realise how bad the economy really is unlike the lies the media keep trying to feed us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 27/03/2017 at 1:49 PM, 24 year mortgage 8itch said:

I used to love the sorting house. I wanted to live (rent) there in 2003. Then in 2004 I wanted to live at Timber Wharf. I would have been gutted by those 3 monstrosities they built in front of it (St George's Island?)

Not sure what it is about living in Cheshire (why do we become snobs?) but took the peasant way into Manchester this weekend. Off the tram at Piccadilly Gardens and walked up Market street. Won't be making that mistake again. Rough as ****** and a beggar/rough sleeper problem that is worse than it was in the late 90s.

will continue to get off the tram at deansgate and stick to the better bits of town in future. 

 

Blanket coverage about the Manchester city centre Spice problem today in the media, which centers around Piccadilly. I can just about remember the old gardens and in latter days they weren't very nice but in its current guise the area has been getting worse for years now.

 

I wasn't just being a Cheshire snob, after all...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Having to reluctantly relocate into manchester with Mrs Chewy and the two lambs and have noticed that there appears to be a lot of iffy areas.

I read somewhere that you can check whether or not (or how many!) sex offenders live within a certain postcode or radius but don't know how to go about this, can you do it on the net?

I have also realised that the government also know where suspected terrorists are living and that the Manchester one also lived on the same street as a known bomb maker!

Is there another register similar to the child sex-offenders one that can be checked?

After all whats worse Jimmy Saville or someone with kilogrammes of explosives tucked in their underpants!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2017 at 10:01 PM, ChewingGrass said:

I have also realised that the government also know where suspected terrorists are living and that the Manchester one also lived on the same street as a known bomb maker!

 

Didsbury is supposed to be one of the best areas and you can spend close to a million on a reasonable house there. It's like how west London was ~20 years ago. Even so you could only be a few minutes away from a mosque attended by serious jihadists, not just some daft fantasists.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

Not dying, we're all rich I tell ye!

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/property/manchesters-property-market-third-most-13697739

"Manchester's property market is third most valuable in country

In research of the top 20 cities in the UK, Hometrack found that houses in the city are worth a total of £133bn"

 

But wait, what's that you say Lassie? Young Mancunians have fallen down the well? 

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-housing-developments-skyscrapers-apartments-13729433

"Who is really benefiting from the Manchester city centre housing boom?

Cranes fill the skies and foreign cash is flooding in. But some are questioning who it is all for"

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EmmaRoid said:

Not dying, we're all rich I tell ye!

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/property/manchesters-property-market-third-most-13697739

"Manchester's property market is third most valuable in country

In research of the top 20 cities in the UK, Hometrack found that houses in the city are worth a total of £133bn"

 

But wait, what's that you say Lassie? Young Mancunians have fallen down the well? 

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-housing-developments-skyscrapers-apartments-13729433

"Who is really benefiting from the Manchester city centre housing boom?

Cranes fill the skies and foreign cash is flooding in. But some are questioning who it is all for"

It's all for Hu. Correct.

old-chinese-man.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/02/2017 at 11:28 PM, Will! said:

When the commercial property market in London reaches the bottom of its crash the difference between the cost of office space in London and Manchester will be much much smaller than it is now.

Not sure if that will ever happen.

London, Paris, NYC, Tokyo, Hong Kong - These 5 cities may have periods of Recession, but will remain at the CENTER of Global Finance at least for another generation.

Please note the the world population is expanding, and with it is commerce and trade. Nations in Africa, Australia, Canada, Russia, Brazil have PLENTY of resources they want to sell, traded in our financial centers.

Manchester will never become London.... Toronto will never become NYC.... Osaka will never become a Tokyo.....  And there is no need for that to happen, all cities have their own footprint, design, purpose and prosperity level.

Finally,  Industrialized Nations with Developed Infrastructure don't need Textiles to flurish. There are plenty of areas like Services , Defence, Tourism, Finance, Education, etc etc that can generate a comfortable GDP...not to mention Money Laundering.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/04/2017 at 11:08 PM, EmmaRoid said:

Blanket coverage about the Manchester city centre Spice problem today in the media, which centers around Piccadilly. I can just about remember the old gardens and in latter days they weren't very nice but in its current guise the area has been getting worse for years now.

 

I wasn't just being a Cheshire snob, after all...

 

Will that impact the desirability of the city living dream do to reckon?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 21/02/2017 at 2:41 AM, ManVsRecession said:

I grew up in a mill town near Manchester, and visited for 2 reasons.  

1) It had better shops.  What I couldn't buy in my home town, I could get in Manchester. 

2). The music / clubbing scene of the late 80s/early 90s which I was involved in... Eastern Bloc records,  The Hacienda, etc.

Reason 1 no longer exists since we have the internet now, and reason 2 was really just a cultural blip.

:( Blipchester ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 years later...
 

I'd be less sure about job returning to London with a downturn in office space prices.  Instead, I think we'll shortly be wondering why on earth are we bringing all of these people into an office at all (when we/AI can keep an eye on them remotely if necessary). This will be the next big socialisation of business costs in my view - get knowledge workers to work from home and save on office space.  My company is slowly shrinking our office space because employees (myself included) are doing this to ourselves. 

You were absolutely right!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 428 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.