House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

One in four UK families have less than £100 in savings

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-families-one-in-four-100-savings-wealth-gap-rich-poor-households-aviva-britain-a7589341.html

Low income families in Britain hold an average of just £95 in savings and investments, compared to a mean £62,885 that higher income families have, according to new research, which highlights the widening gap between rich and poor.

According to insurer Aviva’s Family Finances report, the savings gap between low and high income families has increased 25 per cent year-on-year, from £50,072 to £62,790, with UK households facing increased financial pressure from stalling incomes and savings, combined with rising debt and inflation fears.

Who needs savings?

4 minutes ago, cashinmattress said:

I get the savings part. But what is £95 worth of 'investment'?

Silly article.

Averages - I assume it's the mean.

Edited by Digsby

7 minutes ago, Digsby said:

Averages - I assume it's the mean.

Does the sample include the 10 million or so families that mostly rely on benefits?... plus10ish million pensioners on benefits?

And their share of the £200b benefit bill per year spend on them.

Surely the framework of the article should take that into consideration.

What do you care about savings when you're being paid by UK.gov to consume and exist?

More of a clickbait title with silly reasoning and 'fact'.

9 hours ago, cashinmattress said:

Does the sample include the 10 million or so families that mostly rely on benefits?... plus10ish million pensioners on benefits?

What do you care about savings when you're being paid by UK.gov to consume and exist?

Eek

but that must include the old, disabled and too young to work?

10 hours ago, cashinmattress said:

Exactly.The family over the road to me have savings of £330k to spend and never worked more than a few hours a week.Tax credits,housing benefit and DLA for their naughty kid.Thats the income they will get  just over the next 14 years until the youngest is 18 for free.If that income was produced by capital at 5% they in affect have savings of half a million.There are poor people though in my close.The few families who work probaby dont have much saved after their tax,government and council and mortgages.

Edited by durhamborn

As above, with the benefits system as it is there's no need or want for savings. 

Also, why would one want to publish how much they have in savings?

11 hours ago, interestrateripoff said:

Who needs savings?

What is savings?.......How long are 'savings' held for them to be called savings?

This is nothing new......Millions live from hand to mouth, thousands live on an overdraft.;)

How do they know, anyway?  Or think they do...

Just wondering.  

i wonder the same when they say that the average U.K. family throws away £X worth of food a week.  If anybody weighed our food waste bin they'd probably think we waste a lot, but it's virtually all peelings and eggshells.  And the odd chicken carcass that I've stripped and boiled up for stock.  

11 hours ago, cashinmattress said:

I get the savings part. But what is £95 worth of'investment'?

Silly article.

Scratchcards probably.

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 8:18 AM, durhamborn said:

Exactly.The family over the road to me have savings of £330k to spend and never worked more than a few hours a week.Tax credits,housing benefit and DLA for their naughty kid.Thats the income they will get  just over the next 14 years until the youngest is 18 for free.If that income was produced by capital at 5% they in affect have savings of half a million.There are poor people though in my close.The few families who work probaby dont have much saved after their tax,government and council and mortgages.

Which is why people who voted Brexit to reduce the numbers of foreign johnny's getting benefit was ludicrous, the vast majority of benefit scroungers (not all people on benefits are obviously) who  steal from the tax payer are proper home grown scum, you see them everywhere right across the UK not a migrant gene in them.

The accepted lie that we have to pay a certain amount to stop them storming the gates is laughable, I am really hoping the enforced financial discipline of Brexit will sort these chavs out.

Anecdotally I am noticing a lot more UK people in council jobs locally could be a result of benefit clampdowns and weirdly quelle surprise they seem to take pride in their work having worked any work can be rewarding