Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Fairyland

U.K. Will Need Low-Skilled EU Migrants After Brexit, Davis Says

Recommended Posts

Bloomberg: U.K. Will Need Low-Skilled EU Migrants After Brexit, Davis Says

Quote

The U.K. won’t suddenly shut the door on low-skilled migrants from the European Union who work in restaurants and hotels, Brexit Secretary David Davis said, in comments that risk a political clash over migration policy when Britain leaves the bloc.

During a visit to Estonia, Davis said it will take “years and years” to persuade British workers to do jobs in the hospitality industry or agriculture that are currently carried out by EU migrants, arguing the economy needs continued immigration to maintain its success. 

“In the hospitality sector, hotels and restaurants, in the social-care sector, working in agriculture, it will take time -- it will be years and years before we get British citizens to do those jobs,” Davis told reporters in Tallinn on Monday. “Don’t expect just because we’re changing who makes the decision on the policy, the door will suddenly shut: it won’t.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rubbish, many students want this type of work.  These establishments will just need to pay a reasonable wage if they want to attract other people who are looking for more full time work.  Oh wait, that's the issue isn't it. Many employers are hooked on cheap labour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Rubbish, many students want this type of work.  These establishments will just need to pay a reasonable wage if they want to attract other people who are looking for more full time work.  Oh wait, that's the issue isn't it. Many employers are hooked on cheap labour. 

Absolutely.It's why big companies were engaging in Project Fear with Georgy boy before June 23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Fairyland said:

Quote: "Davis said it will take “years and years” to persuade British workers to do jobs in the hospitality industry or agriculture that are currently carried out by EU migrants."

So, stopping their benefits unless they take the work wouldn't do the trick then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Davis, Hammond and May reveal their Neoliberal, globalist ambitions for the first time. Indistinguishable from Cameron and Osborne. Indistinguishable from Blair and Brown.

Have they started cheering for the banksters yet? :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive no problem will single, low skilled EErs coming over and working. Its a good thing.....

Providing they support themselves and pay for health insurance.

The UK is being screwed with giving access to benefits and tax credits. I was in a non too thriving town's Tesco. Half the pople shopping were EEers. And they did not look high skilled.

The fairest system is you  set a job pay hurdle, have health insurance. Dont have EE families over, claiming for kids, and doing makework tax credit stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spyguy said:

I was in a non too thriving town's Tesco. Half the pople shopping were EEers. And they did not look high skilled.

As opposed to a thriving town's Tesco crammed with folk sporting stethoscopes, hard-hats and clipboards and dragging reverse osmosis machines around with them?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole western world have pretty much been taken over by fascist politicians whose priority is the well being of large corporations at the expense of the people.  How much longer can it go on? Probably a while yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Noallegiance said:

As opposed to a thriving town's Tesco crammed with folk sporting stethoscopes, hard-hats and clipboards and dragging reverse osmosis machines around with them?!

Well, it would hep if people actually generated more money over + above the benefits they claim.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, long time lurking said:

 He was speaking in Latvia ...politicians playing politics ...telling the people what they want to hear 

I've only met two Latvians. Very, very intelligent and highly educated. From what they told me, their education system far surpassed ours   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, One-percent said:

I've only met two Latvians. Very, very intelligent and highly educated. From what they told me, their education system far surpassed ours   

The Baltics states are pretty good. Theyve all been sheltered/helped by Sweden/Finalnd over the last 15 years.

Unforturnately, they number only a couple of millions.

Estonian women ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yes eaten European countries have special women in the visual front.

Went to Poland years back. Sat with a pal having coffee in the main square for an hour playing 'Spot the Minger', as opposed to 'Spot the Rare Non-orange Hottie' in Essex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Noallegiance said:

Oh yes eaten European countries have special women in the visual front.

Went to Poland years back. Sat with a pal having coffee in the main square for an hour playing 'Spot the Minger', as opposed to 'Spot the Rare Non-orange Hottie' in Essex.

Some countries are more Slavic than others.

They just are.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was almost universally agreed that most of Britain's economic problems come from low productivity.  I would say low cost workers are the exact opposite of what we need.  In fact we need to work on automating those jobs.  In the last 10 to 15 years low cost workers have reversed the process.  The standard argument being the gang of 5 eastern European car washers replacing the fully automated car wash, operated by 1 person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most Brexiteers are hard-right anything goes chaps who are keen to exploit the things that are there to be exploited, whether that be cheap labour or other resources.

If you voted for these chaps on the basis that it was going to rebalance the division between low pay and the middle classes, then there is probably a nasty wake-up call coming.

Most people in charge of Brexit are now saying that Brexit will do little to reduce immigration - it may infact increase it as we do trade agreements with other countries outside of Europe to prop up our new global future.

I'll admit I don't get Brexit, so might be overly cynical, but I do not get the sense that the people who are managing Brexit share the same concerns as those who voted for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are between 1 and 7 million people in the UK not working...the UK needs approx ZERO immigrants right now.

 

I've suspects from June 24th the Westminster government has no intention of stopping immigration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, london_thirtythree said:

Most Brexiteers are hard-right anything goes chaps who are keen to exploit the things that are there to be exploited, whether that be cheap labour or other resources.

If you voted for these chaps on the basis that it was going to rebalance the division between low pay and the middle classes, then there is probably a nasty wake-up call coming.

Most people in charge of Brexit are now saying that Brexit will do little to reduce immigration - it may infact increase it as we do trade agreements with other countries outside of Europe to prop up our new global future.

I'll admit I don't get Brexit, so might be overly cynical, but I do not get the sense that the people who are managing Brexit share the same concerns as those who voted for it.

********...the people in charge are making any excuse to keep immediately immigration going because their economic ponzi depends on it. 10s of millions are needed. The British people will not accept this. I've predicted for many years this policy will backfire and the British will turn on the immigrants and start following extremist party's. 

 

If Tory/labour won't give the people what they want then someone will. We are seeing this start across Europe already.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

The British people will not accept this.

Since when did that ever matter? Our parliament has two options, often with the same core principles... such as right now.

The alternative of supporting our own wholly British workforce from cradle to grave will crush the UK.

It will utterly destroy our modern society in fact.

Simple mathematical and economic truths.

When will you lot figure this out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   35 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.