House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

"Guest Post: The Houses in Multiple Occupation Scam. Warehousing the poor and ripping off the public"

This just shows how disgusting people are, no government or council should be allowing this to happen, It all fits into the realms of the huge population increase we have seen and the lack of accommodation to house the 325'000 extra people that flood into the country each year. I'm sure they are allowing this only because they are to incompetent to come up with a viable housing scheme that would replace the extra capacity created through this vile practice.

i blame the people.if you have no kids get a camper van live in that. ive no idea why this is not becoming the norm for the priced out and hard working. handing your money over to a landlord for a room, being their slave is foolish. save yer money while living in a camper van then go buy yerself a house abroad for 20k 

So Ourcity/London spotted it already.

It's 2017 and it's apparently been going on for many many years.

It seems to be pretty absent from most if not all MSM journalism.  Probably because it's Real news and not Fake news.

Edited by billybong

The model the guest poster has described still has some ways to go to be fully optimised. If the house has a garage, be sure to rent it out. A garden? Fill it with sheds with beds. 

People go for this rather than a camper van because last time I looked you don't get housing benefit for living in a vehicle (and it assumes you can drive/don't need an address to claim other benefits/be employed). 

6 hours ago, jimmy2x3 said:

i blame the people.if you have no kids get a camper van live in that. ive no idea why this is not becoming the norm for the priced out and hard working. handing your money over to a landlord for a room, being their slave is foolish. save yer money while living in a camper van then go buy yerself a house abroad for 20k 

A lot of the older affordable, a decent size for living in full time (2.5-3.5 tonnes)  diesel campers were banned from within Londons M25 for emmissions in 2012. 

http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhome-faqs/6-london-low-emission-zone

1 hour ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

The model the guest poster has described still has some ways to go to be fully optimised. If the house has a garage, be sure to rent it out. A garden? Fill it with sheds with beds. 

People go for this rather than a camper van because last time I looked you don't get housing benefit for living in a vehicle (and it assumes you can drive/don't need an address to claim other benefits/be employed). 

Although a small van (under 2,5 tonne) to diy convert to a camper could be bought for a flat deposit, its is arguably not really big enough to live in full time, (though neither are some of these tiny HMO's) .

Presumably there are savings like no council tax 

Does not being on  the electroal role affect your credit rating ? 

Up North .....Hmo Daddy Jim Haliburton: 100 Properties, 800 Tennants

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/199925-hmo-daddy-jim-haliburton-100-properties-800-tennants/

4 hours ago, billybong said:

So Ourcity/London spotted it already.

It's 2017 and it's apparently been going on for many many years.

It seems to be pretty absent from most if not all MSM journalism.  Probably because it's Real news and not Fake news.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Excellent post. A major cause of the current ludicrous prices. The other scam is the 'maisonette' scam. It's all over Rightmove, buy a very average three bed family home for around 400k, dissect into two maisonettes and try to get 350k for each. Disgusting business. 

The difference is people have a choice in the maisonette scam whether to buy or not. This hmo scam almost forces desperate people to accept it, due to the way people are housed by authorities. This also helps authorities house more people and will likely turn a blind eye so not to cause themselves problems. 

Its a sign of total and utter government failure....again. 

Edited by honkydonkey

Everyone has to have a place to live, it is not the people, it is the authorities that allows it, knows it is happening, compliant into turning certain areas into overcrowded slum style places....No social mobility for some.;)

The number of migrants in the uk is beyond ridiculous.

Stop paying benefits ffs.

Start repoing LL assets.

UK has a Rico law. Use it.

7 hours ago, jimmy2x3 said:

Camper vans have rubbish toilets.

Do HMO's still make any return on investment? Sure if you were buying houses in the 90s or early 2000s, I just struggle to believe new entrants make any profit? I found quite a good in in-depth online BTL profit spreadsheet once, couldn't make any profit buying at today's prices.

8 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Do HMO's still make any return on investment? Sure if you were buying houses in the 90s or early 2000s, I just struggle to believe new entrants make any profit? I found quite a good in in-depth online BTL profit spreadsheet once, couldn't make any profit buying at today's prices.

Depends.

The local town's entrepreneur of the year is a benefit LL FFS

The blurb article was going about how hard he'd worked, what he'd done for the town etc etc.

All he's done is borrow a load of money, bought some old hotels and packed them with benefits claimiants, using tax payers money.

That has to stop. Stop benefits and HB after 2 years claiming.

The LL entire business hinges on contued support for HB. I dont think thats going to fly. Or rather, it needs to be set much lower.

6 hours ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Thanks for the 2014 bbc link which touched on the things covered by Ourcity/London but mainly seemed to be angled towards problem British tenants Up North and the advantages of HMO landlordism as a means of creating wealth despite the problem tenants.  

It's scandalous that the warehousing, loophole-ism and scamming of the taxpayer etc issues emphasised by Ourcity/London (and likely in lots of other places in the UK outside of London) aren't being headlined by the MSM most every single day of the year - along with the issue of how to accommodate about 600,000 new arrivals to the UK every year requiring to be housed immediately (in an area of their choosing?) as well as being generally provided for.

Apart from that the UK has the tiniest homes in europe and in some areas people are still being crammed in.

Edited by billybong

I've seen better dressed/presented tramps.

Still, these are our government's chosen ones. Mind you I'm just a nasty deplorable who pulled some population stats from the Daily Mail to outline the issue we have between uncontrolled population numbers and deliberately limited housing supply. We all have our crosses to bear.

4 hours ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

22 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

I thought we didn't have shortage of supply?

It's about affordability. When the price of a house or a "whole" flat rises too high then opportunity presents itself for sub-division, and of course when you split that flat into two you charge 75% of the original rent for each half...

At the other end of the scale, you have OAPs living in 5-6 bed properties with almost an acre of land.

This is really nothing new - my parents lived in a bedsit in Newcastle in the 60s with only a coal fire and a calor gas stove.

The difference now is, you are in danger of having to live like this...

3 minutes ago, Futuroid said:

"It's the immigrants, 'init" :lol:

Not entirely, bu the make up alrge part of the problem.

In no particular order:

- Non contribution benefits + free at use Health system

- Speaking English

- No Id card required for working.

- Lots of people smuglers lying and putting up money for people to come here, in slavery.

UK needs to get brutally hard on migrants.

So this is all about certain people trying to make themselves wealthier off the back of others misfortune.....Certain landlords, people traffickers, employers that pay poor wages to make bigger profits for themselves....Just as many gain from those that they can use, for their own greed/self satisfaction, as those who have not gained at all, only lost in many ways....the rest neutral they can't see it, so it hasn't happened.;)

57 minutes ago, buckers said:

Are you implying that they're not contributing to this problem in any way?

Recent issue in Luton with poor HMO's that went to court , the case was brought forward by a number of organizations including Romanian Embassy. I don't think its a stretch to suggest they immigrants are ones targeted to house in this kind of accommodation and so do contribute to the issue greatly.

1 hour ago, gibbon said:

I suspect that a lot of HMO owners, especially the slummier ones - of which there would seem to be many - demand cash in hand and don't declare rental income.  

Its high time there was a massive tightening up - at the very least LLs  should have to be on an official register and should have to state addresses of their properties on the SA tax form.  At the moment there is no requirement to do this, so I don't see how anyone is to know whether a LL is declaring rental income (unless someone shops them).  

I would imagine that there is a vast amount of LL tax going unpaid, but I have long given up hope that any government of any colour will take the obvious and sensible action.