House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turned Out Nice Again

Auto spray jobs? Any experts here? Pin?

My new white van has a few cosmetic issues that need attending-to, chief of which is repairing a ham-fisted attempt by the previous owner to remove a graffito tag from one of its side panels.

I don't know what he used but I'm guessing sulphuric acid since he's managed to completely remove the top layer of paint right back to what looks like primer!

How would I go about patching that up and blending it in with the original finish?
Is an "invisible" result feasible?
Do I need a pro? and if so, Any idea what a body shop would sting me for? The area concerned is about a 1 SQ Metre
Or is it something I could tackle? Being a van, it is a "flat canvas", so to speak.

Can you post a pic?

You can get ok results with rattle cans but easy to get horrendous results, needs practice generally. You will need to get paint mixed to the right paint code for the vehicle, there's a surprisingly large amount of variations in white.

There may be alternatives like vinyl wrapping but need to see a picture really.

If you know the right somewhere you could probably get the whole thing resprayed for £500, or less, if you did most of the prep work but a lot of places will give you a daft quote, to basically go away, because they can fill their day with insurance work.

16 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Can you post a pic?

You can get ok results with rattle cans but easy to get horrendous results, needs practice generally. You will need to get paint mixed to the right paint code for the vehicle, there's a surprisingly large amount of variations in white.

If you know the right somewhere you could probably get the whole thing resprayed for £500, or less, if you did most of the prep work but a lot of places will give you a daft quote, to basically go away, because they can fill their day with insurance work.

The colour code match is vital...You may even need to do a bit of overspraying for it to blend in.  Typically the colour code can be found nearish the VIN plate, under the bonnet.

2 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

The colour code match is vital...You may even need to do a bit of overspraying for it to blend in.  Typically the colour code can be found nearish the VIN plate, under the bonnet.

I think the blending in is the key. The existing paint will have faded over time and brand new paint will stand out. I had to have a front wing replaced and sprayed, they took off the bonnet and the door and gave them some fresh paint to do the blending in.

Ragarding the original post, is it a vehicle you use for your buisness and is it a panel that could be sign written? It might be cheaper to get your company logo and phone number etc. put there rather than have it resprayed.

1 minute ago, assetrichcashpoor said:

I think the blending in is the key. The existing paint will have faded over time and brand new paint will stand out. I had to have a front wing replaced and sprayed, they took off the bonnet and the door and gave them some fresh paint to do the blending in.

Ragarding the original post, is it a vehicle you use for your buisness and is it a panel that could be sign written? It might be cheaper to get your company logo and phone number etc. put there rather than have it resprayed.

You could even have a vinyl wrap...You see loads of Sky vans around with it..

The original paint is probably a two pack isocyanate. Very deadly to spray without a separate air supply or a least a charcoal mask. 

Rattle cans are usually cellulose. The paint job tends to shrink and crack over time. It's worth a try though. White is the easiest colour to paint, it hides imperfections. You'll probably get a passable job quite cheaply. Cellulose is very forgiving, you can flatten it with wet and dry and buff it up to a nice shine.

4 hours ago, assetrichcashpoor said:

Thanks people - good suggestions all. I'm not after absolute perfection, just better than the current carbuncle on what is otherwise a very tidy van. 
It's intended as a "stealth" camper and I was going to keep it white but a bit of subtle branding (emergency drain sevices?) might actually help with urban residential parking.
I even thought of cutting a hole there for a bonded window, but I'll try patching it up first anyway.
I'll post a pic tomorrow when there's light.

I'd suggest something like this, this will give you a legitimate reason to park in residential areas for days and nobody will approach you as they don't want to attract attention to themselves: ;)

article-0-188768C900000578-988_634x377.j

19 hours ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Thanks people - good suggestions all. I'm not after absolute perfection, just better than the current carbuncle on what is otherwise a very tidy van. 
It's intended as a "stealth" camper and I was going to keep it white but a bit of subtle branding (emergency drain sevices?) might actually help with urban residential parking.
I even thought of cutting a hole there for a bonded window, but I'll try patching it up first anyway.
I'll post a pic tomorrow when there's light.

Having "BLOOD" or "DOCTOR" emblazoned on the bonnet in dark green font is the trick round here.

Plenty of "chips away"   https://www.chipsaway.co.uk/ type companies/people out there 

With the van not being that old i would think it would be pretty easy to get a very good paint match by cutting the original paint back 

Plenty of paint suppliers will mix paint to your code and rattle can it if you fancy a go yourself 

How the pro`s do it 

Your van could well have a water based base coat and two pack clear coat the paint suppliers  would be able to inform you on that one

On 19/02/2017 at 4:54 PM, Turned Out Nice Again said:

My new white van has a few cosmetic issues that need attending-to, chief of which is repairing a ham-fisted attempt by the previous owner to remove a graffito tag from one of its side panels.

I don't know what he used but I'm guessing sulphuric acid since he's managed to completely remove the top layer of paint right back to what looks like primer!

How would I go about patching that up and blending it in with the original finish?
Is an "invisible" result feasible?
Do I need a pro? and if so, Any idea what a body shop would sting me for? The area concerned is about a 1 SQ Metre
Or is it something I could tackle? Being a van, it is a "flat canvas", so to speak.

Hold on m8.

On 19/02/2017 at 5:14 PM, SNACR said:

Can you post a pic?

NO. Dont do this yet! Squirt some water over the scratch, it it "disappears then it's only the clearcot that needs fixing not the paint.

2 hours ago, long time lurking said:

Plenty of "chips away"   https://www.chipsaway.co.uk/ type companies/people out there 

With the van not being that old i would think it would be pretty easy to get a very good paint match by cutting the original paint back 

Plenty of paint suppliers will mix paint to your code and rattle can it if you fancy a go yourself 

How the pro`s do it 

Your van could well have a water based base coat and two pack clear coat the paint suppliers  would be able to inform you on that one

This one is genuinely good advice. /Drive Clean shows you how to fix paint like a pro, but a Rupes DAP will cost you 300 quid. If it's a cheapo van I would suggest taking more of a Chris Fix aproach:

1 hour ago, Automotive Engineer said:

Hold on m8.

NO. Dont do this yet! Squirt some water over the scratch, it it "disappears then it's only the clearcot that needs fixing not the paint.

Did you read the OP?

There is no scratch. It's a previous owner's botched graffiti removal attempt covering a square metre.

I don't think it will be too bad to rattle can that. It'll certainly look fine from a distance even if it doesn't look quite bodyshop perfect close up.

I would try just doing the patch first and seeing how the new paint blends with the old. If too much difference then just spray the whole panel up to the creases and the door and any shade difference will be much less noticeable. 

The problem for bodyshops, with small jobs, is just mixing the paint and cleaning up, on it's own, is a bit of a faff.

If going for vinyl you don't necessarily need a decal you could just fill the panel with white vinyl.

There's a blackbird currently nesting near us that lands on my driver-side wing-mirror every morning, and then sprays the driver's door like a pro...!

Colour-match is a bit shitty though...

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

Thread update: I finally got around to doing it.

It took 2 rattle cans of "Citroen Polar White" paint from Halfords @ £6.50 per. I washed the area thoroughly beforehand and smoothed it  back with ultra-fine sandpaper between cans. The result is very acceptable albeit a "matt" rather than "glossy" finish. I'm going to leave it a week to harden and try rubbing it with Meguiars Scratch X to get some kind of shine on it. Thanks for all the tips people.

IqEyrKgZkxsFp1qFuz2vKSg5x0KtH2QBfZyZQX7z

19 hours ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Thread update: I finally got around to doing it.

It took 2 rattle cans of "Citroen Polar White" paint from Halfords @ £6.50 per. I washed the area thoroughly beforehand and smoothed it  back with ultra-fine sandpaper between cans. The result is very acceptable albeit a "matt" rather than "glossy" finish. I'm going to leave it a week to harden and try rubbing it with Meguiars Scratch X to get some kind of shine on it. Thanks for all the tips people.

IqEyrKgZkxsFp1qFuz2vKSg5x0KtH2QBfZyZQX7z

you could of had a paint shop mix up the rattle cans for you. then the paint would match. 

those pre mixed ones are rubbish. 

3 hours ago, longgone said:

you could of had a paint shop mix up the rattle cans for you. then the paint would match. 

those pre mixed ones are rubbish. 

Now he tells me! Never mind. If it ever bothers me down the line, I'll get a can made up and put another couple of coats on it. Main thing is that horrendous blotch is gone.