Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

assetrichcashpoor

Amazon delivery

Recommended Posts

I've just had an Amazon delivery, I only ordered yesterday at 0800 but it has arrived today at 1100. Only 27 hours after I placed the order. I'm not a member of Amazon prime and haven't accidentally signed up for it. I'm staggered by their speed of delivery. Has anyone else experienced this speedy a delivery from Amazon? Is it normal now?

There is one area they could improve on. Instead of using the door knocker like a normal person the delivery driver hammered on the glass in the door like it was a drugs raid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't that standard these days?  I am a very occasional online shopper (three purchases ever I think!) but bought something a couple of weeks ago, the website said all orders placed before 3pm would be delivered the next day and it was at about half eleven in the hour slot they advised.

This was interlink, I've not used Amazon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Logistics are getting a lot more sophisticated than they used to be (pretty much like everything else).

I've heard a few examples of same day delivery with amazon prime. Mate of mine in the US has had something from Amazon within an hour. A few months back I ordered a fridge from ao.com at 5.30 on a Saturday evening, it turned up at 7.30 the following morning (i.e. the Sunday) I was mightily impressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered from Amazon recently. On Friday got an email saying delivery on Monday. Fair enough. Monday comes and goes without a delivery, as does Tuesday and Wednesday. Look at the email again. Monday March 6th. wtf?

Has been dispatched via La Poste, which also serves some colonies as well as France. Saw nothing on the Amazon site that said the vendor wasn't in this country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a few Sunday Amazon deliveries.  Actually, I've found them annoying because I assume that deliveries won't come on a Sunday, so do stuff away from house (eg, go for a bicycle ride), but I work from home quite a few days in the week so can be around for normal deliveries.

I think Amazon are promoting their next-day (even Sunday) delivery service by putting a % of normal (free) delivery orders through via it.  This then leads to a proportion of the receivers going onto social media to say how amazing it is.  IMO It is an attempt at a clever, low-key, viral marketing campaign.

Looks like it is working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dgul said:

I've had a few Sunday Amazon deliveries.  Actually, I've found them annoying because I assume that deliveries won't come on a Sunday, so do stuff away from house (eg, go for a bicycle ride), but I work from home quite a few days in the week so can be around for normal deliveries.

I think Amazon are promoting their next-day (even Sunday) delivery service by putting a % of normal (free) delivery orders through via it.  This then leads to a proportion of the receivers going onto social media to say how amazing it is.  IMO It is an attempt at a clever, low-key, viral marketing campaign.

Looks like it is working.

I assumed it was an attempt to get people onto Prime. I was wondering if Amazon will send me an email to say that this delivery was so quick because they put it through as a prime order for free, but if I want all my deliveries to be like this why don't I join prime.

I wouldn't join prime because I don't order enough from them to justify it, I don't watch any of their TV shows etc. I used to be fan of Top Gear on the BBC but I felt it had reached it's natural end. It seemed like a fitting way to finish the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, assetrichcashpoor said:

I assumed it was an attempt to get people onto Prime. I was wondering if Amazon will send me an email to say that this delivery was so quick because they put it through as a prime order for free, but if I want all my deliveries to be like this why don't I join prime.

I wouldn't join prime because I don't order enough from them to justify it, I don't watch any of their TV shows etc. I used to be fan of Top Gear on the BBC but I felt it had reached it's natural end. It seemed like a fitting way to finish the show.

Ah, but that's the clever bit.  They don't need you to join prime -- just some of the people who've read your post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, assetrichcashpoor said:

I've just had an Amazon delivery, I only ordered yesterday at 0800 but it has arrived today at 1100. Only 27 hours after I placed the order. I'm not a member of Amazon prime and haven't accidentally signed up for it. I'm staggered by their speed of delivery. Has anyone else experienced this speedy a delivery from Amazon? Is it normal now?

There is one area they could improve on. Instead of using the door knocker like a normal person the delivery driver hammered on the glass in the door like it was a drugs raid.

I often find ebay sellers seem to get their packing inspiration from drug smugglers when things often arrive in black polythene wrapped with brown tape. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, assetrichcashpoor said:

I've just had an Amazon delivery, I only ordered yesterday at 0800 but it has arrived today at 1100. Only 27 hours after I placed the order. I'm not a member of Amazon prime and haven't accidentally signed up for it. I'm staggered by their speed of delivery. Has anyone else experienced this speedy a delivery from Amazon? Is it normal now?

There is one area they could improve on. Instead of using the door knocker like a normal person the delivery driver hammered on the glass in the door like it was a drugs raid.

I ordered something on Ebay at 19.00 on a Sunday and it was delivered by Amazon on Monday at 11.00 am, that both astounded and surprised me.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have this Prime Sunday delivery thing don't they - so they must have delivery staff ready to deliver on Sundays. I wonder, if they do not have enough Prime orders in an area, they are simply making use of the staff in work.

Or maybe this is clever marketing to try and get more people to sign up to Prime for Sunday deliveries - hmm, haven't thought that one through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I remember the days of mail order where you were lucky if the thing turned up at all and nothing ever arrived in less than a month!

I am still waiting for those x-ray spectacles that allow me to see women's lingerie through their clothes. Ordered them back in 1974. Still waiting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I am still waiting for those x-ray spectacles that allow me to see women's lingerie through their clothes. Ordered them back in 1974. Still waiting.

Just get some Littlewoods' catalogues, those and the risque shower advertisements in Green Shield stamp catalogues used to keep us amused at prep school in the '70s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I am still waiting for those x-ray spectacles that allow me to see women's lingerie through their clothes. Ordered them back in 1974. Still waiting.

I had a pair of those! I bought them in a joke shop (remember them?) rather than through mail order. The had some kind of membrane thing in the middle that gave everything a slightly blurred outline - interesting in an optical sense, but very disappointing for a randy 16 year old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dgul said:

Ah, but that's the clever bit.  They don't need you to join prime -- just some of the people who've read your post.

No one should do anything based on my recommendation or because of a post I've written on 'tinternet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I had a pair of those! I bought them in a joke shop (remember them?) rather than through mail order. The had some kind of membrane thing in the middle that gave everything a slightly blurred outline - interesting in an optical sense, but very disappointing for a randy 16 year old.

I had a camera that was apparently worth money* because of its ability to see through (light) clothes. They changed the firmware after I'd brought it to stop people doing it, hence attraction to the earlier versions.

*only in Japan, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, dgul said:

I had a camera that was apparently worth money* because of its ability to see through (light) clothes. They changed the firmware after I'd brought it to stop people doing it, hence attraction to the earlier versions.

*only in Japan, though.

Actually, I lied - mine did come but they were a disapointment. I convinced myself that I could see my bones in my fingers.

xray_5.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whenever I order from Amazon it seems to arrive via a stressed mumsy type in a bog standard shopping hatchback c/w baby seat in the back and packages piled on top right up to the roof.

I often wonder how they get Hire & Reward/GIT cover for such an arrangement, and how much Chinese tat ends up- um - falling out of the back on a typical working day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, honkydonkey said:

I've had a few Sunday deliveries from Amazon and now make sure I don't order them for Sunday. People should have a day off imho, and my desire for a new spatula should not trump this.

I'd certainly agree with the general principle, but plenty of people are more than happy to work Sundays it's not special in anyway for them. 

As for the original post, I suspect that a ramp up of prime in general has put enough infrastructure in place than most deliveries via Amazon would be quicker in general. 

Did you pay for delivery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I often order off ASOS about 11:45pm and it comes between 8am and 9am the next day.

I don't believe in Sunday deliveries either. Anyone who is "happy to work" on a Sunday needs to get a life (assuming they work the rest of the week).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an item in my Amazon shopping cart the other day and was about to check-out when I noticed, through the frosted glass of my front door, a figure holding a brown package. As my finger moved toward the left hand button, i could see the delivery mans right arm move towards the door knocker. I played around with this for a few minutes before removing the item from my basket and he quickly scurried off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I requested a bacon sandwich at 8.05am on Sunday morning.

Ten minutes later, Mrs XYY delivered it.

Amazon had fûck-all to do with any of this...

 

XYY

                                                                                                               

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This bugs me. We are a small manufacturing company. Back in the day, 10 day delivery was fine and people expected and planned for it. Now, if they don't get the item in 24 hours they are unhappy. People's ability to plan ahead has been destroyed and this in turn is wiping out the smaller operator. I cannot afford to have machines standing idle waiting for the order (remember firms quoting order books?) and it is just another way to shift everything away from the little man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   87 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.