House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davidg

Geisterfahrer

Not what you want to meet on your ski holiday, some bumbling French driver pottering up the motorway on the wrong side! Filmed near Annecy yesterday  - look over to the left to see the car in question.

http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2017/02/17/11-5km-a-contresens-sur-l-a41-la-video-qui-fait-le-buzz-sur-facebook-annecy-haute-savoie

It is pretty common in Germany due to shitty autoroute layouts, they even have a name for them "geisterfahrer" - ghost drivers. But less common in France as the peage make it more difficult to get onto the wrong lane. Still in the Haute-Savoie where this incident occured it is estimated that up to 30% of drivers on the roads are over the limit at any one time.

You would think after the fifth juggernaut almost hit you head on you may move over to stop and have a wee think. 

2 hours ago, davidg said:

Not what you want to meet on your ski holiday, some bumbling French driver pottering up the motorway on the wrong side! Filmed near Annecy yesterday  - look over to the left to see the car in question.

http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2017/02/17/11-5km-a-contresens-sur-l-a41-la-video-qui-fait-le-buzz-sur-facebook-annecy-haute-savoie

It is pretty common in Germany due to shitty autoroute layouts, they even have a name for them "geisterfahrer" - ghost drivers. But less common in France as the peage make it more difficult to get onto the wrong lane. Still in the Haute-Savoie where this incident occured it is estimated that up to 30% of drivers on the roads are over the limit at any one time.

The German practice of putting junctions on slip roads still baffles me occasionally. Easy to end up going the wrong way!

1 hour ago, ccc said:

You would think after the fifth juggernaut almost hit you head on you may move over to stop and have a wee think. 

The belief that 'I'm right' is strong ins some people -- they presumably thought 'why are all these lorries driving on the wrong side of the road'

I once had a person drive towards me on an off-sliproad.  I could see them coming towards me at the top and started flashing my lights.  They continued.  I moved to the middle of the road and stopped, then continued beeping and flashing at them.  They continued coming.  They almost got to me before they stopped and turned around.  

4 hours ago, davidg said:

They also call them "Falschfahrer" - false drivers.  There are numerous reports on the radio leading of course to the joke:

Falschfahrer?? Falschfahrer?? There's f***ing hundreds of them!!

1 hour ago, sukuinage said:

They also call them "Falschfahrer" - false drivers.  There are numerous reports on the radio leading of course to the joke:

Falschfahrer?? Falschfahrer?? There's f***ing hundreds of them!!

Used to be a regular thing on the Munich traffic reports, deranged nutters in BWM heading down the Salzburger autobahn at 160km/h flashing their lights at the oncoming traffic convinced they are right and the rest of the world is wrong. I guess it is the Hitler complex.

Still if only they drove on the left like sensible people then all this unpleasantness could be avoided.

3 hours ago, dgul said:

The belief that 'I'm right' is strong ins some people -- they presumably thought 'why are all these lorries driving on the wrong side of the road'

I once had a person drive towards me on an off-sliproad.  I could see them coming towards me at the top and started flashing my lights.  They continued.  I moved to the middle of the road and stopped, then continued beeping and flashing at them.  They continued coming.  They almost got to me before they stopped and turned around.  

One time in France I drove around a corner and thought "what's that idiot doing on the wrong side of the oh hell it's me."