House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Isambard

Digital Music - How do you listen to music at Home Question!

As some of you may know i have gone fully digital with music. 

I am going to be moving into a new house share with 100MB Virgin broadband line. As a result I want to get some kind of system to play music on. Currently I have an Android device with a 128GB card full of music and a Onedrive with about 150GB of stuff on it.

I DJ (very occasionally) and produce electronic music. Why is this relevant - well I've got 2 X Active speakers and an interface with ableton. What I could do is stream from the MAC i suppose but because I am slightly lazy i would have to turn on the speakers and the MAC and start playing. OK I am sorta answering my own question here(trying too! but i'll carry on) 

Option 1 could be that I sleep the MAC and have a shuffle play say on iTunes - but i would have to turn the speakers on (ok its not that much effort) Could i leave the MAC in this state rather than turning it off- Do people do this. You see I also have been offered an old skull hifi not separates but I suppose you'd call in a mini system so I have been using the AUX out in the living room, but i just think that thing in just so 1990's!

I recently drove a nice hire car and blue toothed to the stereo, now forgive me I know this has been around for a while but it was brilliant - It immediately knew when I was in the car and started playing - So cool. Now i want that in the house - I want like an app to press a button and do that and it would i dunno wake the stereo - does this exist. 

I also have limited funds and I am not THAT bothered about sound quality (my actives are very good however Yamaha HS7's

Can anyone relate or contribute?

Thanks

If you're not too bothered about sound quality there's the Amazon Echo gadget. Not automatic but all you have to do is speak to it. It can send its audio to another bluetooth speaker if you do decide you need better sound at some point.

I have Sonos stuff and although it's pricey it is good, and integration with the Echo is coming very soon.

I want to get like 1TB of storage - So say get it to browse that on my one drive. Catch my drift. I just want to put all my music in one place instead of loads of devices.

Could the echo do that like that.

Also like the alarm idea - so I could say wake me up at 6am and it would do it.

Maybe I don't need girlfriend after all! :)

35 minutes ago, Isambard said:

As some of you may know i have gone fully digital with music. 

I am going to be moving into a new house share with 100MB Virgin broadband line. As a result I want to get some kind of system to play music on. Currently I have an Android device with a 128GB card full of music and a Onedrive with about 150GB of stuff on it.

I DJ (very occasionally) and produce electronic music. Why is this relevant - well I've got 2 X Active speakers and an interface with ableton. What I could do is stream from the MAC i suppose but because I am slightly lazy i would have to turn on the speakers and the MAC and start playing. OK I am sorta answering my own question here(trying too! but i'll carry on) 

Option 1 could be that I sleep the MAC and have a shuffle play say on iTunes - but i would have to turn the speakers on (ok its not that much effort) Could i leave the MAC in this state rather than turning it off- Do people do this. You see I also have been offered an old skull hifi not separates but I suppose you'd call in a mini system so I have been using the AUX out in the living room, but i just think that thing in just so 1990's!

I recently drove a nice hire car and blue toothed to the stereo, now forgive me I know this has been around for a while but it was brilliant - It immediately knew when I was in the car and started playing - So cool. Now i want that in the house - I want like an app to press a button and do that and it would i dunno wake the stereo - does this exist. 

I also have limited funds and I am not THAT bothered about sound quality (my actives are very good however Yamaha HS7's

Can anyone relate or contribute?

Thanks

I'm very old-skool.

I have a soundblaster card plugged from my PC into my mixer,amp,and a set of wharfedale diamonds.still can't beat it whether you are listening to music or watching a film,it's proper cinema sound quality.

if you were going wireless/bluetooth then the only speakers I've heard that are any good are bose or bang and olufsen, but they are sodding expensive.

45 minutes ago, Isambard said:

Looks like you have to upload to Amazon Cloud then connect.

Nah, you can store music on a local device. A media server, or a disk connected to a PC or Mac. It'll stream music stored on an iPhone, not sure about Android.

Ah.. hang on. That streaming from local, that's to Sonos. Amazon I think you do need to upload to Amazon Cloud. I use Spotify so I am not entirely sure about the cost of the Amazon stuff.

All that built in stuff for alarms etc. works well, I use mine much more than I thought I would.

I use a gramafon plugged into a Fatman iTube hybrid amp and old Sony speakers. This gives me Spotify and internet radio.  I've also got a Twonky media server running on a 1TB Buffalo NAS. With AllPlay Jukebox I can queue up music from my phone / tablet or the media server onto the gramofon. It all works very well. AllPlay Jukebox is a bit rubbish, though.

I mainly use spotify for my digital music and I have a bunch of old pcs and laptops around the house for listening from room to room. I've also got a couple of bluetooth speakers that work well with my iphone.

Like yourself, as a hobbyist electronic musician, I have a mac and an interface. To be honest, I don't find much difference between that and the headphone out on the mac. Also, I bought a cheap bluetooth clock radio which is great for playing music in bed when I don't want to use a huge amp an speakers.

What I've found from all of this is that almost any hardware will sound good enough if you aren't expecting some kind of audiophile experience. Personally, I find the challenge is in getting to your music. Spotify if pretty good as it's got a lot of music I like on it, but there's always a few artists and tracks that seem to slip through the net. I tried itunes as a server in the past but found it fairly hit and miss.

For anyone interested i have one drive so downloaded groove on my mac - very good. I also have on my phone and will use monitors for speakers - probably the best idea. 

Maybe I'll get a echo when I am more flush. 

Cheers for contributions.

I play music digitally from 5 inch shiny disks. I'll not be storing music in the cloud, where it might get cut off. I do like internet radio though, but that's not storing it.

Amazon Music Unlimited is just £3.99 pm for a single Echo or Dot device. We have the Echo in the kitchen, and we listen to way more music at home than we did before.

I toyed with other streaming services, but honestly I'd barely use them other than at home. I've ripped all my CD collection to OneDrive and use the free version of Groove to stream them on occasion, or I use the free version of Amazon music that comes with Amazon Prime when not using the Echo.

Mostly Youtube or MP3s through the TV at the moment!

That said, I have just bought a Sumvision Psyc Monic for under £40 as my first foray into Bluetooth speaker territory. Went with that as it's reviewed very highly and everybody mentions how much bass it puts out, which is rather important for what I listen to... Will update with my thoughts when it arrives.

When I used to listen to digital music I mostly plugged the headphone out of my phone into the aux in in my amp. That worked fine until they implemented the EU rules that now force the manufacturer to make my phone randomly drop the volume according to some algorithm that has no idea of the actual SPL in my ear, or the fact that my phone is being used as an input and no headphones are even connected. 

So I listen to records or CD's, or cut out the middle man and just play the songs myself on guitar.

The problem with streaming systems is less at the hi-fi/DAC end and more at the "selector" end.

Trying to navigate a library of 20,000 tracks with a tiny LCD display on a separates box is a bit tricky.

If you want "audiophile" then the answer is a dedicated always on PC or MAC (some use laptops but they won't last if left on all the time and have trailing cables etc.) as the source, and an HDMI lead to the TV. Sound card with digital OUT into a decent DAC.

It's still a DIY affair. If you're not so bothered about SQ then there are some out of the box solutions although those often play to the "multi room" audience when for me, I'd rather it just worked in one room (the one with the speakers in it) and on the phone (with headphones). I don't have four separate sitting rooms all with hi-fi speakers that I might elect to spend my time in on any given evening and I can hear it from the kitchen if I turn it up.

If you had an all-Apple ecosystem then the answer might be an Apple TV box (cheap to buy) which would give you a TV interface. Store all your music files in iCloud. Will work from that and from your phone. Apple doesn't do hi-res or FLAC files so it's very restrictive in what it can play. The DAC in an Apple iPhone is truly appalling. But you can connect the Apple box to the TV and the TV to a DAC and so it's that DAC that does the work. Except the Apple box will cripple everything by resampling (16/48 I think). SQ is appalling. To my ears, anyway.

With OneDrive, and a Microsoft phone, you can play FLAC and hi-res and have your music in one place. Though you need to then plug the phone into the amp. There's no "TV interface" for Microsoft "Groove".. I don't know about Android. Chromecast > TV > digital OUT > DAC?

To be honest most things are on YouTube and if SQ really isn't important, you can bring up pretty much anything on YouTube TV and it will play from an external DAC via the digital OUT on the TV. If your TV has a YouTube app. It's 320K MP3 and sounds like a tape deck but it's free and easy to use.

This is a market which just hasn't really been "worked out" yet as the main players want you to submit to their entire ecosystem. Apple = slick but really crap SQ, Microsoft = buggy and unfinished, Android = ?

7 hours ago, DTMark said:

With OneDrive, and a Microsoft phone, you can play FLAC and hi-res and have your music in one place. Though you need to then plug the phone into the amp. There's no "TV interface" for Microsoft "Groove".. I don't know about Android. Chromecast > TV > digital OUT > DAC?

You could get an xbox 360 for about £20 off ebay, depending on the model some have better audio options than others. 

On 16/02/2017 at 9:42 PM, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Mostly Youtube or MP3s through the TV at the moment!

That said, I have just bought a Sumvision Psyc Monic for under £40 as my first foray into Bluetooth speaker territory. Went with that as it's reviewed very highly and everybody mentions how much bass it puts out, which is rather important for what I listen to... Will update with my thoughts when it arrives.

Turned up yesterday and I'm impressed. Connecting can be problematic at times, but OK once you are. Sound quality is fine what I use it for, and the amount of bass is good for the size. Probably not the kind of thing you're after given the other comments here, but worth a look if you're on a budget.

I listen to music from my phone on good bluetooth headphones when I'm in the house. The right volume wherever you happen to be and cuts out almost all the noise of: wife, children, washing up, dishwashers cooking, TV, doorbell etc. It's the best solution by far.

1 hour ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I listen to music from my phone on good bluetooth headphones when I'm in the house. The right volume wherever you happen to be and cuts out almost all the noise of: wife, children, washing up, dishwashers cooking, TV, doorbell etc. It's the best solution by far.

Now you just need to convince the wife that you've gone deaf, and that the headphones are a hearing aid that doesn't work very well and you're home free. :)

On 17/02/2017 at 1:13 AM, SpectrumFX said:

When I used to listen to digital music I mostly plugged the headphone out of my phone into the aux in in my amp. That worked fine until they implemented the EU rules that now force the manufacturer to make my phone randomly drop the volume according to some algorithm that has no idea of the actual SPL in my ear, or the fact that my phone is being used as an input and no headphones are even connected.

Does it have a location setting you can change to something else so it'll ignore that stupid rule (my MP3 player does, which is just as well because when it's plugged in to the car stereo it needs to be turned up to maximum volume to output at about the same level the radio does).

I use my PC with good speakers and VLC Remote for Android when I CBA to get up off the sofa

2 hours ago, Riedquat said:

Does it have a location setting you can change to something else so it'll ignore that stupid rule (my MP3 player does, which is just as well because when it's plugged in to the car stereo it needs to be turned up to maximum volume to output at about the same level the radio does).

There are ways around it, but I think I'd have to root the phone. It's all just so unnecessary.

I use a NUC (mini PC) running Kodi (XBMC). Sound out over USB to a dedicated DAC, then into conventional Amp and speakers. Remote control via iPad.

All music was ripped from CDs to FLAC. I have these (and DVD rips) on a portable drive plugged in to the back of the NUC, so no network streaming required.

An old Apple TV box might suit you, or look at Chromecast. In fact you can now even install Kodi on an Amazon Firestick.

Btw, I used MediaMonkey software to bulk convert the FLACs to MP3s, for use in the car.