House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Famous pilot error

So, while approaching a taxiway, he spots an airliner on it but still lands there. And fails to wonder why there is a much wider runway alongside where he landed.

Time to hang up your hat, Indiana.

Anyone know what actually happened? I have read conflicting stories.

Some say that he was coming in to land and landed on the taxi way and not the main runway. Others say that he approached the taxi way but realised his mistake and diverted. Others say that he was merely on the ground and simply taxied down a taxi way as opposed to heading out onto the runway.

3 hours ago, happy_renting said:

So, while approaching a taxiway, he spots an airliner on it but still lands there. And fails to wonder why there is a much wider runway alongside where he landed.

Time to hang up your hat, Indiana.

Runway 20L and Taxiway C are both roughly the same length, width and colour. The huge runway is 20R,

Given the time of day, he'd have been almost directly into the sun too, although I don't know the conditions at the time.

Not condoning what he did, but far more experienced pilots have made similar errors in the past.

Green indicates where he should have landed. Red is where he actually did.

SNA_Approcah.jpg

I remember when a B52 inbound for Farnborough went to Blackbushe by mistake, 6 miles distant.  

8 minutes ago, One-percent said:

What twice?  :lol:

He bounced.

A PPL holder I knew recounted tales of a rather batty lady pilot in the 1980s. Possibly apocryphal, but anyway...

One day she was apparently lost, and radioed air traffic control for advice where to land. In mid-conversation she announced she could see a 'star-shaped' airfield, and she was going to land, abruptly ended the conversation, and put her plane down.

The 'star-shaped' airfield was, of course, Heathrow.

He allegedly smoked a lot of pot on film sets. It's probably addled his brain no age is catching up. 

It is perhaps time to surrender the pilot's licence, Harrison.

29 minutes ago, buckers said:

Locally a pilot bound for Shobdon airfield landed on the roads of a Leominster business park about 8 miles away.

I've flown from/to Shobdon, it's a MASSIVE runway, some 300feet wide and very long. No idea why it's built this way but it's worrying to think a pilot could confuse it with a road?!?!?

What age was the pilot? 

In the aftermath of the shoreham airshow crash it was speculated that the pilot may have mistook the A27 for the airfield runway when lining up for the disasterous loop stunt which caused the deaths of many peoole on the ground.  

Pilot disorientation is common. It makes you wonder why they don't tarmac taxiways in red like the Mall. Would seem a simple and obvious solution. But then I supposed there is a danger of airports who do not do it ending up with loads of 747's landing on the taxiway. :D

There was a time in aviation when what Harrison did would have resulted in a slap on the wrist, a "Don't do it again." and "You're buying the drinks tonight for the boys.".

2 hours ago, buckers said:

Locally a pilot bound for Shobdon airfield landed on the roads of a Leominster business park about 8 miles away.

I've flown from/to Shobdon, it's a MASSIVE runway, some 300feet wide and very long. No idea why it's built this way but it's worrying to think a pilot could confuse it with a road?!?!?

It was built triple width to be used for glider pilot training in WW2.

3 hours ago, buckers said:

Maybe the pilot would just think they were a bit closer than they actually were...

The wide runways were built for the airborne gliders for Normandy.

Basically they would have the tow aircraft pulling the gliders lined up in the centre of the runaway, usually two abreast, with the gliders they were each going to pull aligned down each side of the runway.

If you look at the below photos you will see the tow aircraft, two abreast, lined up in the centre with the gliders on either side. It was just the system they used to maximise space / take-off in formation.

300px-FIGHTER_COMMAND,_NO._38_(AIRBORNE_

gliders-and-tugs-at-tarrant-rushton-6562

It maybe a case of a pilot not doing their homework first.

They generally have a diagram of the airport, and know before hand which are the runways and the orientation.

Airport_diagram_-_John_Wayne_Airport,_Or