House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Lloyd's of London bans daytime drinking

Insurance giant Lloyd's of London has written to staff this week to inform them that alcohol consumption is now forbidden between the hours of 9am and 5pm.

'Drinking during these times is considered gross misconduct and may result in summary dismissal,' reads a memo. 

A retired underwriter tells me: 'This is sad to hear. 

'My department routinely headed off for 11am sharpeners at The Elephant on Fenchurch Street. Mind you, not all of them are still with us.'

There's a technicality here in that only the processing, reception, door staff etc. would be employed by Lloyd's whereas the syndicates are independent bodies so that underwriter could keep drinking.

It's still surprising though as when I worked there (many years ago) it was the processing guys that were the regular drinkers, not caning it but two pints every lunchtime.  When you do that every day for thirty years it doesn't affect your work at all so they've just spolit some people's jobs for a PR stunt.  It's the sort of thing that American companies do.

The syndicates used to have regular sessions of getting properly drunk at lunchtime and I did enjoy a few of these.  At one company we used to play five a side one lunchtime a week followed by a pub lunch with several pints, not much work was done that afternoon.

I drive to work these days so it naturally restricts it and, in what I thought was an age thing, have totally gone off lunchtime drinking as it makes the afternoon a struggle.  I would still oppose a drinks ban at work even though it wouldn't affect me.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/comment/article-4209516/CITY-DIARY-Lloyd-s-enacts-9am-5pm-staff-booze-ban.html

Apparently they treat their staff like children.

What is wrong with a glass of red with a meal, exactly? Even the Italian football team insist on having a glass of red at lunch.

Another company that hasn't got a clue how it's supposed to treat staff and settles for micromanaging their behaviour. Either they're capable of doing their jobs, in which case so what if they've been drinking, or they're not, and deal with them accordingly; why they're not doesn't really matter unless it's due to circumstances outside their control (which this isn't). People who come up with such rules need a good kicking.

Yes, could quite easily have sent a memo round that half of disciplinary cases involved an element of alcohol excess, don't be one of them and be done with it.

15 minutes ago, casual_squash said:

I personally couldn't drink in the middle of the day and still be productive. Just one pint and my motivation goes. 

I'm the opposite. I've no motivation at all, and a lunch time pint really buoys me up and gives me the drive to get through the rest of the day.

My employer has, alas, also banned drinking, oh well :)

10 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

I'm the opposite. I've no motivation at all, and a lunch time pint really buoys me up and gives me the drive to get through the rest of the day.

My employer has, alas, also banned drinking, oh well :)

Fortunately not the case here (yet), not that I drink much at lunchtime when I'm at work. There's no alcohol on site, which isn't unreasonable.

18 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Fortunately not the case here (yet), not that I drink much at lunchtime when I'm at work. There's no alcohol on site, which isn't unreasonable.

We're actually allowed alcohol on site, for functions and hospitality. You're just not technically allowed to go back to work after the function.

It's not really policed, to be fair.

46 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

Please tell me you're not a surgeon or an air traffic controller.

28 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

:)

Don't worry, in in no position to harm the public.

You are a pilot and I claim my five pounds. :D

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/02/world/canada-pilot-arrested/

http://fox6now.com/2016/10/26/skywest-pilot-arrested-after-showing-up-drunk-to-delta-connection-flight-police-say/

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/two-pilots-arrested-week-allegedly-flying-while-drunk-n701896

seems to be an occupational hazard for pilots  :huh:

1 minute ago, One-percent said:

Not that surprised TBH; piloting is one of those jobs that sounds really glamorous on paper, but the reality nowadays is that you're basically a highly-qualified person doing the same job as a bus driver.

1 hour ago, One-percent said:

He could be an old Air France pilot.

Wine was an essential part of their lunch.

http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-2683.html

3 hours ago, casual_squash said:

I personally couldn't drink in the middle of the day and still be productive. Just one pint and my motivation goes. 

There was a time when nobody did any work Friday afternoon.....four and a half day week.;)

2 minutes ago, winkie said:

There was a time when nobody did any work Friday afternoon.....four and a half day week.;)

All about building a book of business and contacts. Bet most companies expected and wanted staff to liaise (and drink) after work hours for prolonged periods, meet and entertain overseas visitors after work, all part of the job. Heck if you could drink like a fish and still perform you probably had the best credentials going.

36 minutes ago, onlyme2 said:

All about building a book of business and contacts. Bet most companies expected and wanted staff to liaise (and drink) after work hours for prolonged periods, meet and entertain overseas visitors after work, all part of the job. Heck if you could drink like a fish and still perform you probably had the best credentials going.

Wasn't it a done deal that the most important work was done at the golf course Friday afternoon?;)

51 minutes ago, onlyme2 said:

Yep, this is why I didn't become a broker or an underwriter because I didn't want to spend my drinking time working.

The mantra was "A lunchtime in the office is a lunchtime wasted"; that's when you got the business that you ended up writing.

Certainly when I worked in London (late 90s) we always went for a pint at lunchtime. I wasn't in banking. We also went for a "few" after work, where all the problems were ironed out. None of us had to drive.

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yep, this is why I didn't become a broker or an underwriter because I didn't want to spend my drinking time working.

The mantra was "A lunchtime in the office is a lunchtime wasted"; that's when you got the business that you ended up writing.

Quite.

As a client I would be expecting a bit more than a glass of Perrier at a business lunch. I once worked for a notoriously 'dry' US IT company on a major contract. They lost the rebid when their French rivals simply flew the clients to Paris for a slap up meal with loads of booze. We spent millions on that process but  our rivals blew us out of the water for the price of a few bottles of wine.

1 minute ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

Quite.

As a client I would be expecting a bit more than a glass of Perrier at a business lunch. I once worked for a notoriously 'dry' US IT company on a major contract. They lost the rebid when their French rivals simply flew the clients to Paris for a slap up meal with loads of booze. We spent millions on that process but  our rivals blew us out of the water for the price of a few bottles of wine.

C'est bonne! Moi aussi.

I never even used to think about it. You either fancied a pint and a pub lunch, and went and did it, or didn't fancy it, and didn't do so. It was never a thing that needed policing in places where I've worked. No-one ever went overboard and work still gets done.

When I last changed jobs it was a bit of a shock to have an induction where part of it highlighted that you were not to drink at all during working hours (when would you apart from at lunch time?). Also, you were never allowed to bring any alcohol on to the premises. Not that I would generally have any reason to, but you can imagine that one might do some lunch time shopping, maybe to avoid a rush after work, but you would not be allowed to say bring a bottle of wine in your shopping into the office. Just a bit strange really, in my opinion.

13 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I drive to work these days so it naturally restricts it and, in what I thought was an age thing, have totally gone off lunchtime drinking as it makes the afternoon a struggle.  I would still oppose a drinks ban at work even though it wouldn't affect me.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/comment/article-4209516/CITY-DIARY-Lloyd-s-enacts-9am-5pm-staff-booze-ban.html

...listen for the ending.

now I get a travelcard and snort coke instead.Still sharp!