House Price Crash Forum

Should horses have to have registration numbers and insurance?

ChewingGrass

Should horses have number plates and insurance when used on roads  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should horses have number plates and insurance when used on roads

• Yes
    • No

HOLA441

I was almost run over by some old boy middle aged woman on a bicycle horse with a riding crop and leather boots on the mean streets of Cambridge Oxford the other day.  This got me thinking, should those cycling people riding horses on the road have to have registration numbers and insurance like other road users?

Think this might be less divise as horse riders in general live in poncey big houses, drive big poncey cars and hate little people.  Rather . What.

HOLA442

Horses do a lot of damage when you hit them. People naturally keep clear. So not necessary. Also horses' reactions are unpredictable. Gawd knows what they'd do if they had registration numbers imposed on them. Responsible horse owners have already got insurance. 

HOLA443
HOLA444
1 minute ago, One-percent said:

A true story.  I live in London as some on here will know.  My eldest daughter failed her first driving test. In London, because she did not give way to a horse which was at the edge of the road waiting to cross. 

Thats because horses like pedestrians acually have the right of way on roads, otherwise it would be perfectly legal to run over anyone or anything.

Can't remember the exact distinction with cats'n'dogs though but squirrells are fair game, pheasants taste nice as well.

HOLA445

I agree with the op.

Shergar's current whereabouts would be no mystery had he had a registration number etched on his hind-quarters. There's no doubting that bacon comes from Denmark now is there...?

;)

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

HOLA446
1 minute ago, ChewingGrass said:

Thats because horses like pedestrians acually have the right of way on roads, otherwise it would be perfectly legal to run over anyone or anything.

Can't remember the exact distinction with cats'n'dogs though but squirrells are fair game, pheasants taste nice as well.

Not arguing with the rules but it is not what you would expect to fail your test on in London. 

HOLA447
HOLA448
16 minutes ago, ChewingGrass said:

Just don't hit a badger. Trust me, a 200kg concrete block will do less damage.

HOLA449

I once stopped a runaway horse.  Caught it running down the middle of the local road which has plenty of blind corners and busy traffic. In retrospect, it could have gone badly wrong in any number of ways, but thankfully it calmed down once I had hold of its halter and I could mostly lead it half a mile down the road to the nearest field with an unlocked gate.  Turned out to be the local undertakers. Hopefully I'll get a discount when my time comes. 

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
9 minutes ago, dgul said:

I've been nearly run over by a horse twice in the last few months.  I find it quite annoying as I do try not to run over them.

I don't try to run over the ones I encounter on the back-roads where I live either.

But I do sound the horn very loudly in the hope it will spook the horse enough to throw the pikey riding it into the oncoming traffic...

;)

XYY

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
4 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

I don't try to run over the ones I encounter on the back-roads where I live either.

But I do sound the horn very loudly in the hope it will spook the horse enough to throw the pikey riding it into the oncoming traffic...

;)

XYY

You can save the horn. All it needs is a stereo system turned up loud. I found out last time I went riding. :blink:

HOLA4417

Unlike cyclists I never encounter horse riders who assume that they can take their animal on a full commuter train for free and then demand that standing passengers who have actually paid to travel move so that they can park their horse.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/man-attempting-to-get-massive-bike-on-train-20151015102949

In addition horse riders don't seem to assume that they have the right to gallop down the pavement knocking pedestrians out of the way.  So no comparison at all really.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 8:19 PM, CunningPlan said:

Just don't hit a badger. Trust me, a 200kg concrete block will do less damage.

Christ yes.

The other half hit some Stallone of a badger coming home from work one evening. She was distraught about the poor animal.

I wobbled out it (it was a Friday) for a look at the car and came steaming back in to demand to know what concrete bollard she had hit and what was this balls about a badger?

It was only after the discovery of half a badgers mangled ars* wedged in what remained of the grille that I believed her story.

The car was a virtual write off, those animals are f*cking units.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
44 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Christ yes.

The other half hit some Stallone of a badger coming home from work one evening. She was distraught about the poor animal.

I wobbled out it (it was a Friday) for a look at the car and came steaming back in to demand to know what concrete bollard she had hit and what was this balls about a badger?

It was only after the discovery of half a badgers mangled ars* wedged in what remained of the grille that I believed her story.

The car was a virtual write off, those animals are f*cking units.

Nah. She hit some kind of ballet dancing badger. A proper one will get you pitchpoling down the road. They show no mercy.

HOLA4422
5 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Oh, and back on topic...

Horse people, now that's a level of mental you don't want to cross.

Yes, don't ever date or marry a horsey woman you'll always come a very distant second to the bloody horses.

I don't like to see freedoms curbed but horse riding on the roads does annoy me a bit as it is purely a leisure activity. I suspect if it wasn't so popular amongst a certain level of society it would be banned. If chavs, off a council estate, all started driving husky sleds on the roads, and you were forced to gingerly drive around them, I can't imagine it would last long.

HOLA4423
3 hours ago, SNACR said:

Yes, don't ever date or marry a horsey woman you'll always come a very distant second to the bloody horses.

I don't like to see freedoms curbed but horse riding on the roads does annoy me a bit as it is purely a leisure activity. I suspect if it wasn't so popular amongst a certain level of society it would be banned. If chavs, off a council estate, all started driving husky sleds on the roads, and you were forced to gingerly drive around them, I can't imagine it would last long.

Worse than that, around here it is mainly a business leisure activity.  Someone is making money out of horses riding slowly and getting in the way.

HOLA4424

Used to experience this loads when I lived in rural Oxfordshire  (dahling).  About a third of your commute was spent on narrow, winding roads staring up a horses a-hole waiting for an opportune moment to crawl past; all under the withering gaze of the over privileged bellend rider who thought that every morning during rush hour was the most appropriate time to take Findus for his daily trot/shit.

I'm sure they did it deliberately.

HOLA4425

Archived