House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
A Fool & His Borrowed Money

Debt Repayment Loans

I got flu today, so not having watched daytime TV for ages i see if its true

All morning long in the ads it's been: Loans, Loans, Loans to repay loans (putting out a fire with petrol) more loans, loans & mew, if you have debts over 15k, we can help pay off your loan with our loan! etc, ad infinitum

Never knew it was this bad :blink::ph34r:

About time we had a watchdog clamping down on this mass debt propaganda!

I got flu today, so not having watched daytime TV for ages i see if its true

All morning long in the ads it's been: Loans, Loans, Loans to repay loans (putting out a fire with petrol) more loans, loans & mew, if you have debts over 15k, we can help pay off your loan with our loan! etc, ad infinitum

Never knew it was this bad :blink::ph34r:

About time we had a watchdog clamping down on this mass debt propaganda!

Over at moneysavingexpert there's a petition you can sign calling for these ads to be removed from daytime TV.

Some believe that these ads, as they are likely to be seen by children, will foster in those children a belief that debt and borrowing is "normal".

Real cynics might suggest that this is overt "conditioning".

Taking out more loans to pay off previous debt is 84% unsuccessful apparently.

No wonder daytime TV is flooded with loan adverts - you have to ram unsuccessful products down people's throats when you have a staggeringly bad product to sell.

Where's the FSA, when are the numpties at the BOE going to realise what they have to to the economy. We wait and we wait and we wait and all the time debt the debt level just keeps on rising and rising.

http://new.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/new...3A04%3A04%3A660

He added that an increasingly popular way of trying to tackle the problem, taking out secured loans, was not the answer in the vast majority of cases.

“In the case of 84 per cent of people it doesn't work because they run up further debts. They don't fully see how much connection there is between what they earn and what they spend and debts continue to accumulate, so they have to take out further credit,” he said.

I caught part of a programme last night, I think it was on UK Living, called 'Family Forensics'. It's a US show where they rifle though your house to build up a profile on you and your family. This fella they were doing last night had debt problems. They found one loan with over 1,000 (one thousand)% interest on it and another where the interest was 644%!!!!!!!!

The mind boggles! :o

I see these ads all day on Sky News. I can't believe how unemployable and fat looking their customers who go on the ads are. No wonder they need those companies, they couldn't get a loan if they walked into a bank, they have to do it over the phone.....

Well done TTRTR, finally something I can agree with you on. :P

I can't believe people would take those ads seriously!

I was listening to talk sport this morning and there was a new ad from barclays saying why not take out a biggg loan......

they must make so much money out of people!

Those types of ads on daytime tv should be taken off, people should be re-educated that debt is a bad thing and shouldn't be taken on a whim!

Edited by CrashBear

I can't believe people would take those ads seriously!

I was listening to talk sport this morning and there was a new ad from barclays saying why not take out a biggg loan......

they must make so much money out of people!

Those types of ads on daytime tv should be taken off, people should be re-educated that debt is a bad thing and shouldn't be taken on a whim!

they do

i've just had a client take a loan out for £20K with those crooks

it is over 7 years.

not only do they charge 12 odd % on the loan but they add on an insurance for £3.5K and then charge 12 odd % on that :angry:

so the total repayable is in the region of £35K

thick as pig sh1t <_<

they do

i've just had a client take a loan out for £20K with those crooks

it is over 7 years.

not only do they charge 12 odd % on the loan but they add on an insurance for £3.5K and then charge 12 odd % on that :angry:

so the total repayable is in the region of £35K

thick as pig sh1t <_<

That must be part of the reason why "Financial Services" are such an important part of the Economy.

Lol, a new ones just been released from the Chelsea building society,

" take out a Mew for a Mew Car or some Mew Decorations for your house, Etc"

all the while going along to the That terrible song from the 80's: The birdie song by the tweets. Although it did have a flash in print of the warning "You must think seriously before securing debts against your home"

:lol:

What will they think of next? :unsure:

There is an advert on local radio that winds me up, it asks if you have debts of 15k or more and are struggling with repayments, and they can help, they claim it is not a debt consolication loan, but they get your interest frozen and some or your debt wiped out.

Now i am a fairly responsible adult :lol: , but i have never taken on a debt that i could not manage, at the moment i am debt free + cash rich, but it annoys me if there are companys claiming to wipe out your bad debts if you borrowed irresponsibly and then could not afford to service the repayments.

How is the person supposed to learn from this experience.

Oh heard another ad on radio the other day about government child savings accounts, at the end of the ad, they said "the investment can go down aswell as up" i have not heard that statement in a long time.

Guest Bart of Darkness

I see these ads all day on Sky News. I can't believe how unemployable and fat looking their customers who go on the ads are. No wonder they need those companies, they couldn't get a loan if they walked into a bank, they have to do it over the phone.....

Yes, these ads proliferate the digital stations as well as terrestrial.

Fortunately I record a lot of stuff onto my PC HD rather than watching "live", so I can fast forward through the adverts at 32X if I want.

Something I'm very interested in is a device that blocks the ads from being shown, on digital TV for example. The picture could be replaced with a blank screen or 'Please Wait' message.

I hate the idea of kids being brainwashed with ads for McDonalds, Loans, Credit Cards etc. etc.

Does such a device exist, and if not why not?

I saw an ad the other day on daytime tv about clearing 75% of your loan off if you were struggeling with repayments...

cant remember the name now, is this possible ?

Edited by ExeC

I saw an ad the other day on daytime tv about clearing 75% of your loan off if you were struggeling with repayments...

cant remember the name now, is this possible ?

I really enjoy the one when the guys on a desert island moving heavy rocks around to spell "help" or "sos"

before getting picked up by the loan boat! Makes me laugh every time! :lol:

I really enjoy the one when the guys on a desert island moving heavy rocks around to spell "help" or "sos"

before getting picked up by the loan boat! Makes me laugh every time! :lol:

Yeah, I've seen that one too!. This commercial would be more accurate in representing debt consolidation companies if, after being pulled on board half alive, the bloke is given dry clothes in the form of a gimp costume by the very attentive crew! :lol:

Something I'm very interested in is a device that blocks the ads from being shown, on digital TV for example. The picture could be replaced with a blank screen or 'Please Wait' message.

I hate the idea of kids being brainwashed with ads for McDonalds, Loans, Credit Cards etc. etc.

Does such a device exist, and if not why not?

I can imagine it would be fairly easy to implement, but on the other hand it certainly would NOT have the support of the TV stations - the ads you watch are the price you pay for watching the TV, and if companies like Maccy'Ds found out TV-drones weren't watching their ads, they would pull them, and then the TV channel would go down too.

An alternative model is to pay in a different manner for TV - and of course it already exists in the BBC. Mind you, nowadays they seem to have become one big bloody advert for NuLabour, so that's a pile of crap too!

p.s. these adverts for loans are shown during the day not because as someone posted earlier they would be swamped if they were shown during peak time...it is because:

1. Peak-time ads are bloody expensive

2. Day-time ads are likely to be watched by...yes, that is right...unemployed people who are financially up sh1t creek.

They are just cynically targetting unemployed people who are more likely to be in financial difficulty.

Edited by marko

Er scroll up to where it says your name logged in then look just below it at the 3 adds

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The reason these loans are popular is the people selling them couldnt give a damn what you earn and if you will struggle to pay the money back.

Thats why they all mentioned "been turned down by the banks, we can help"

you could phone them up and tell them anything they wont even check it, the simple reason is you sign your house over to them, infact the intrest rates for these loans should be the lowest in the country as they tie up about twice as much of your wealth than they pay out.

example

house value = 180k

mortgage = 30k

they will loan you 30k without a blink, without any info only that you own the house and who else and what amount is mortgaged on it.

they dont care at all they secure it, these loans should in reality be the cheapest in the country.

And what the stupid mugs that take these loans out dont understand is that if they just phoned there credit card companies and sais "sorry i cant pay" there is nothing the credit card companies could do about it apart from a few cc'js

unsecured loan companies must truly love these guys as they prevent all the defaulting on there loans by switching the debt to a secured one, without which there would be huge amounts of defaulting.

Anyone with any brains in debt trouble would protect the house and just default the credit cards, thats why the people in these ads look dumb, its because they are.

I can imagine it would be fairly easy to implement, but on the other hand it certainly would NOT have the support of the TV stations - the ads you watch are the price you pay for watching the TV, and if companies like Maccy'Ds found out TV-drones weren't watching their ads, they would pull them, and then the TV channel would go down too.

An alternative model is to pay in a different manner for TV - and of course it already exists in the BBC. Mind you, nowadays they seem to have become one big bloody advert for NuLabour, so that's a pile of crap too!

p.s. these adverts for loans are shown during the day not because as someone posted earlier they would be swamped if they were shown during peak time...it is because:

1. Peak-time ads are bloody expensive

2. Day-time ads are likely to be watched by...yes, that is right...unemployed people who are financially up sh1t creek.

They are just cynically targetting unemployed people who are more likely to be in financial difficulty.

The rise of recording systems with pause controls has worried the ad industry which is why you see more and more "sponsorship" of programmes and the rules on "product placement" are to be relaxed.

"Product placement" can bring in good money for popular programmes.