House Price Crash Forum

17 year old lottery winner

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

Won a million at 17 and is now suing Camelot for ruining her life:

She says she is planning to sue Camelot for selling her the winning ticket in the first place, complaining that she was far too young and the legal age for playing the Lottery should be raised to 18.

She's now working in a chip shop as she's happier doing that; I don't think she's gone the full Michael Carroll (the binman who won £8m) route of spending it all but like him she's gone back to a normal job and lifestyle and is much better for it.

I entirely agree with her that Camelot shouldn't be selling tickets to under 18s and this should be stopped so I hope her case succeeds (though I'd probably raise it even further to 30) but I do find it ironic that if she wins then they will be giving her more money. 

I don't agree with the view of the linked article but it has the key details.  A win at 16 or 17 will ruin your life as effectively as being a child star: MaCauley Caulkin, Jack Wild, Michael Jackson.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-4221300/Now-Lottery-millionaires-victims.html

HOLA442
HOLA443
48 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Won a million at 17 and is now suing Camelot for ruining her life:

She's now working in a chip shop as she's happier doing that; I don't think she's gone the full Michael Carroll (the binman who won £8m) route of spending it all but like him she's gone back to a normal job and lifestyle and is much better for it.

I entirely agree with her that Camelot shouldn't be selling tickets to under 18s and this should be stopped so I hope her case succeeds (though I'd probably raise it even further to 30) but I do find it ironic that if she wins then they will be giving her more money. 

I don't agree with the view of the linked article but it has the key details.  A win at 16 or 17 will ruin your life as effectively as being a child star: MaCauley Caulkin, Jack Wild, Michael Jackson.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-4221300/Now-Lottery-millionaires-victims.html

tbf to camelot you can claim anonymity. I think 16 could be a cut off for tickets if unaccompanied by a parent or guardian

As for the person in the article, she seemed to still be enjoying her fame just a few months ago in November 2016

So, no sympathy for this particular person from me.

Ditched her bf because he wouldn't wear a T-shit with her photo on it - says it all (and a BTL-er)

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
30 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

I think if Prince Charles won for instance at age 17, it wouldn't change him. So it's not just age is it. But then you are into another world of decisions...like would it change your life too much etc? Are you too poor to play the Lottery? If it's not going to change your life, why would you play it? Why are poorer people drawn to it?

Poorer people are drawn to it IMO because a lot of problems within their lives are caused by lack of money.  Ideally you'd want a trustee appointed who would make the changes to their life for the better (pay off debts, pay off mortgage or buy a similar house to their current rented one outright, buy a reliable car) which would not distance them from their existing friends, family and workmates.

Looking at my situation if I'd won at 17 it would have had a negative effect upon my life as it is the ultimate "money burning a hole in the pocket"; if I'd won at 30 I'd probably have been mature enough to quietly pursue my hobbies as I woudl have done if there was a Citizens' Income which is like a small lottery win for everybody.  If I won now I'd probably just retire a couple of years earlier and have a bit more legroom on planes when I do go on holiday; I wouldn't feel that same compunction to spend it as I would have at 17 and as the winner in the OP clearly did.

HOLA447

It would have had hugely positive effect on my life at 17. I'd have probably split it 3 or 4 ways between my parents, sibling and myself. Suspect my sibling would have blown it - but I'm pretty sure I'd have turned my share into some form of secure income for life. I had that kind of mentality even then although not the knowledge of how to actually do that. 

I do think lottery winners of all ages probably should get management advice - and not just the invest it in x, y and z stocks etc. But here's what research says about how to maximise the happiness and fulfilment from it, and what to do with the void if you no longer have to work. 

HOLA448
1 minute ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

It would have had hugely positive effect on my life at 17. I'd have probably split it 3 or 4 ways between my parents, sibling and myself. Suspect my sibling would have blown it - but I'm pretty sure I'd have turned my share into some form of secure income for life. I had that kind of mentality even then 

I do think lottery winners of all ages probably should get management advice - and not just the invest it in x, y and z stocks etc. But here's what research says about how to maximise the happiness and fulfilment from it, and what to do with the void if you no longer have to work. 

Had you worked by the age of 17?  If not that's impressive.

I agree I would also have shared it but for myself I'd not had more than a hundred quid at any point, if that. At college the most I had was at the start of each term after the rent and kitchen fixed charge for the term had gone out was about £250.  It was just enough but, not having any spare money, I was totally clueless about investing anything.

Lottery winners are the modern equivalents of rock stars who made and lost fortunes being ripped off along the way.  There was an anecdote, about Kurt Cobain or Fleetwood Mac but said as being very common, that because they lived their lives in hotel rooms when they bought their huge mansions they basically camped out in a couple of rooms because that's what they were used to.   

HOLA449
HOLA4410
23 minutes ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

It would have had hugely positive effect on my life at 17. I'd have probably split it 3 or 4 ways between my parents, sibling and myself. Suspect my sibling would have blown it - but I'm pretty sure I'd have turned my share into some form of secure income for life. I had that kind of mentality even then although not the knowledge of how to actually do that. 

She was advised to draw a salary from it, equivalent to what someone her age could expect to get from a job, and keep the rest in the bank for later life. At her age that is not a great deal of money if you want to escape the 9-5 later on?

HOLA4411
25 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Had you worked by the age of 17?  If not that's impressive.

I agree I would also have shared it but for myself I'd not had more than a hundred quid at any point, if that. At college the most I had was at the start of each term after the rent and kitchen fixed charge for the term had gone out was about £250.  It was just enough but, not having any spare money, I was totally clueless about investing anything.

Lottery winners are the modern equivalents of rock stars who made and lost fortunes being ripped off along the way.  There was an anecdote, about Kurt Cobain or Fleetwood Mac but said as being very common, that because they lived their lives in hotel rooms when they bought their huge mansions they basically camped out in a couple of rooms because that's what they were used to.   

Yep, I'm afraid so - a result of growing up very poor but lucky enough to have aspirations to university which my parents supported. In fact, I even recall running the numbers at 12 and figuring that £1m could be turned into £25K-50K per year income for pretty much life (back when interest rates meant something - I hadn't figured out inflation).  I had no idea actually how to do beyond sticking it in the bank - but I think I would have figured it out.  I was also extremely frugal with low expenses - basically if I had my bike (bought for a fiver from a carboot sale), could do volunteering with the local BTCV and access to a local library I was perfectly happy.  I had a few gardening jobs at the time, but absolutely nothing I wanted to spend the money I was making on. 

HOLA4412
1 minute ago, dances with sheeple said:

She was advised to draw a salary from it, equivalent to what someone her age could expect to get from a job, and keep the rest in the bank for later life. At her age that is not a great deal of money if you want to escape the 9-5 later on?

It's enough if you go the 1% rule for drawing income.  So £300k for a nice house and then £700k invested, take 1% index-linked income off that for life is £7k a year.

Now if your hobbies and interests are cheap or free then that has set you up for life.  It would have done me when I was mature enough (I hope to reach this level of maturity soon) to take that route.  It doesn't however feel like you are a millionaire, even though you are, because you are very much not living the millionaire lifestyle and what you have actually bought is your own time.

This particular winner sounds very materialistic so my safe low-drawing strategy wouldn't suit her at all.

HOLA4413

Sad that she won all that money and used it on cosmetic procedures, especially when she's so young.

Good idea about payouts being gradual - even if you have to take the jackpot over 15 years or so it would hopefully stop people messing up too badly.

HOLA4414

She comes across as quite attractive to me, sexy voice and probably really pretty intelligent, just not used to that kind of money, obviously. Not sure I would want to live in Niddrie and broadcast the fact I had a million squid in the bank though, but the area has improved a bit on 15-20 years ago for sure. Pretty sure someone I work with knows her, I might ask for an introduction......

HOLA4415

I never understand why people make so much of an issue of this.

If I won, say £50 million, I could probably have 10-20 million of it spent within a day or two. No trouble at all. On quite defined and specific things.

It's really not hard.

HOLA4416
10 minutes ago, Errol said:

If I won, say £50 million, I could probably have 10-20 million of it spent within a day or two. No trouble at all. On quite defined and specific things.

It's really not hard.

I don`t think she has spent it all yet though? Of course you could blow 50 million, house next door to the remaining Bee Gee in Miami, yacht, hookers, blow, and squander the rest...easy. A wee lassie fae Niddrie though, that was a once in a life-time opportunity she had, hope there is time/money enough left for her to salvage it.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
35 minutes ago, Errol said:

It's really not hard.

Easy to spend.  After that initial rush will you find your life improved or worsened by it?  She found hers worsened.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
1 hour ago, Sgt Hartman said:

If she wins can she sue them again for giving her more money?

She won`t win. This is probably more about keeping her (getting her back into) the public eye. Celebrity is the only real currency for her age group after all? If it is genuinely making her un-happy I am happy to take a gift of say 300k to help her out.....

HOLA4422
2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Easy to spend.  After that initial rush will you find your life improved or worsened by it?  She found hers worsened.

Improved - because I'm already happy with myself. She clearly wasn't happy with herself, so probably no amount of money would have changed the problems she evidently has with her own character.

HOLA4423
7 minutes ago, dances with sheeple said:

She won`t win. This is probably more about keeping her (getting her back into) the public eye. Celebrity is the only real currency for her age group after all? If it is genuinely making her un-happy I am happy to take a gift of say 300k to help her out.....

Exactly. Why go public with a lottery win otherwise? And what would be the outcome if she was successful with her case? More money for absolutely nothing plus more publicity, the very things that are supposedly currently blighting her life, except they are not, that's exactly what she wants but preferably with an added helping of victimhood. I would imagine the real reason she cant get a man is due to her manipulative nature. But then, I'm reading between the lines, maybe she's lovely..

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
3 hours ago, Errol said:

It's really not hard.

You'd blow it all on a Russian air missile defence system, and then die the following day from priapism.

Archived