House Price Crash Forum
Bronson

"Fixing Our Broken Housing Market" - HMG White Paper

This may be of interest to some:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/590463/Fixing_our_broken_housing_market_-_accessible_version.pdf

I've only skimmed it so far but it includes facts regarding houses earning more than their owners etc etc. I think the conclusion reached (build more houses) is incorrect and they've overlooked the real symptoms that have caused that kind of increase. All of which is covered on here in great detail!!

33 minutes ago, Bronson said:

This may be of interest to some:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/590463/Fixing_our_broken_housing_market_-_accessible_version.pdf

I've only skimmed it so far but it includes facts regarding houses earning more than their owners etc etc. I think the conclusion reached (build more houses) is incorrect and they've overlooked the real symptoms that have caused that kind of increase. All of which is covered on here in great detail!!

They';ve over looked f**k all.

They will build more houses and expect investors to buy them at top whack to rent to the poor...All funded by our taxes and futures.

12 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

They will build more houses and expect investors to buy them at top whack to rent to the poor...All funded by our taxes and futures.

"No-one wants to see a house price crash."

Gavin Barwell, Minister of State for Housing, Planning and London, responding to the suggestion that the best option for future affordability would be to let house prices fall.

Radio 5 live, 7th February 2017.

4 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Gavin Barwell, Minister of State for Housing, Planning and London, responding to the suggestion that the best option for future affordability would be to let house prices fall.

Yes I'd really like to pay a special tax to prop up house prices

28 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

1. @Gavin_BarwellMP Maybe the "majority" tory government should start to listen to the majority.

0 replies0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

View Tweet activity

@Gavin_BarwellMP Said people didnt want a house price crash, but when told house prices would collapse 52% voted for #BrExit

^

Gavin (building even tinier homes is "innovative") Barwell

More than 17.4 million people voted to leave the eu despite treasury threats that house prices would crash.

He means "no-one" in his circle of pals.

Edited by billybong

How can you be Minister of State for Housing and not recognise that a sizable proportion of the population would like nothing more than to see the cost of housing to fall....He must know this...so why would he say "no-one wants to see a house price crash'....when he must know this is untrue....he is not fit for office, a total disgrace.

12 minutes ago, Wayward said:

How can you be Minister of State for Housing and not recognise that a sizable proportion of the population would like nothing more than to see the cost of housing to fall....He must know this...so why would he say "no-one wants to see a house price crash'....when he must know this is untrue....he is not fit for office, a total disgrace.

+1

He should just come out with it and say "my pals" don't want a house price crash. 

Edited by billybong

1 hour ago, Wayward said:

He may actually want to see a house price crash himself but he knows that if he publicly stated he wanted average house prices to fall he would lose his job. Very likely that Number 10 and the Treasury want to avoid a HPC in this Parliament.

20 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

He may actually want to see a house price crash himself but he knows that if he publicly stated he wanted average house prices to fall he would lose his job. Very likely that Number 10 and the Treasury want to avoid a HPC in this Parliament.

Well yes, considering the size of their portfolio via Help to Buy Bail Banks, 20% in the regions and up to 40% in London!

Last time I asked,  £22m profit but 420 sales at a total loss of £1m against the original investment

29 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

This. Can you imagine the Daily Express screaming?

Softly, softly. Gently, gently. If it's market forces that bring it down (even if indirectly precipitated by policy), they don't take so much blame. You just have to hope the journos at the tabloids don't notice.

May didn't like the idea of building on the Greenbelt  (hence the whitepaper delay), but they've admitted the market is broken.

Remember: Barwell barely held onto his seat in the last election. Croydon is an ultra marginal seat. He's GOT to get more owner occupiers into Croydon to keep it because labour are snapping at his heels. He wants housing prices down more than most.

Crash is already happening.

Chelsea is bombing, and if you read this one  http://www.cityam.com/258504/far-house-prices-have-plunged-chelsea-  you will see that everyone  in the middle price envelope who thought it was a great idea to buy "upwards" and can just scrape it, will be mincemeat soon.  

Only this morning I treated myself to a full english in the local busy high street, and in EA windows was observing "new price" stickers making their timely apocalyptic appearance :D  (in exactly the bracket afore mentioned.)

6 hours ago, Si1 said:

All other things being equal, the Tories have just lost my vote for the next ge.

If you pretend to throw the ball too many times the dog will stop running after it.

Edited by Dorkins

4 hours ago, BuyToLeech said:

What I've heard of the white paper is pretty good compared to what I expected.

Doing nothing is a pretty good outcome considering what they normally do, unless I've missed something. 

The housing white paper came from the Department for Communities and Local Government, not the Treasury. The really irresponsible throwing around of taxpayer cash like Help to Buy comes from the Treasury. The next budget is on March 8th so we'll see what the Treasury come up with on housing.

4 hours ago, BuyToLeech said:

What I've heard of the white paper is pretty good compared to what I expected.

Doing nothing is a pretty good outcome considering what they normally do, unless I've missed something. 

haha.. yes you do wonder if the government did nothing in the last 50 years would we be better or worse off.. remember we are always being told they are the brightest and best.. but the brightest and best of what..

7 hours ago, Dorkins said:

The housing white paper came from the Department for Communities and Local Government, not the Treasury. The really irresponsible throwing around of taxpayer cash like Help to Buy comes from the Treasury. The next budget is on March 8th so we'll see what the Treasury come up with on housing.

The paper still verbally supports and promotes htb, sadly.

20 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

What is this word poor?......No household should be poor if they work a full week and pay their taxes on income and expenditure......It is the mortgages and rents that are out of kilter with maximum earnings able to earn from hours in the week....the wealthy can only become wealthier at the expense of increasing costs or failing to share profits to greater numbers of people so seeing that they are left with less money to go around so can only spend less.;)

29 minutes ago, winkie said:

What is this word poor?......No household should be poor if they work a full week and pay their taxes on income and expenditure......It is the mortgages and rents that are out of kilter with maximum earnings able to earn from hours in the week....the wealthy can only become wealthier at the expense of increasing costs or failing to share profits to greater numbers of people so seeing that they are left with less money to go around so can only spend less.;)

+1

The cost of housing is the elephant in the room. The political classes love HPI because it creates an ecomic drug like high. In fact their addicted as is a large proportion of the public. Problem is the cost of this habit has now gone beyond the level that shoplifting and minor crime can support. The drug addled mind of an addict isn't able move up to high level crime to support his greater addiction and so ultimately overdoses fatally sometimes.