House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

The great mumsnet mystery

I read this yesterday; very interesting.

Though if it was outside my house I wouldn't have put it back but would have kept it.  Why encourage these people?

And 4p is a win.

Looks like it was written in Voynich!

Years ago I had an attempted burglary.  I happened to be awake (always have worked odd hours) and confronted them, then chased them (couple of ruffians) down the street wielding a piece of pipe.  Not sure what I'd have done if I'd have caught them...  Or what they'd have done to me...  But anyway, about a month afterwards a strange symbol appeared chalked on the road outside the house.  It would reappear every 6 months or so, then, about 5 years after the incident it stopped coming back.  I've always presumed that it was the local criminal cartel telling their members that there was a loon present.

It is the modern day online version of the chain letter, 

"If you see this "X" marked on your house or driveway someone has targeted your dog for stealing" 

Facebook is riddled with this kind of hysteria 

Other examples: 

"A new gang member initiation is to climb into the back of peoples cars when left unlocked at petrol stations, lock your doors in petrol stations" 

"if you see a car coming towards you with no lights on do not flash your head lights it is a new gang member initiation trick and they must target the first car that flashes them" etc etc 

Intriguing. I read through to the end of that thread hoping for a breakthrough.

Allowing for the vagaries of handwriting, the starts and ends of all the lines have the same characters.

It isn't any known script that anyone has identified (though someone suggested Klingon?)

The inward sloping of the final section, both left and right, might be significant because it breaks with the general neatness of the rest of it, the weird cursive style of writing, and the double line-break in between the two "paragraphs".

The penultimate line of the first section has a few variations, at the start, and the spacing near the end.

It could be some sort of "code". That line being perhaps significant.

My instinct is that it's someone with "an issue" because of the odd mix of things. It's like a doodle in hand-written form. Yet the neatness of it is what is most puzzling.

4 minutes ago, long time lurking said:

World fair Bristol IIRC banks of the river Avon

No it wasn't B)

1 minute ago, long time lurking said:

Bristol international fair 1914

Yep, I looked it up on Wikipedia now that it argues to be more reliable than the daily fail.  I think ccc was just attempting to carry on the debate. 

19 minutes ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

It'll be some nutter thinking they are magicking the mumsnetter. 

The coins (copper) included with the letter seem to indicate a pagan / Witchcraft spell.

The handwriting could be a variation of the witches' alphabet https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theban_alphabet

The best solution is to emigrate.

19 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Yep, I looked it up on Wikipedia now that it argues to be more reliable than the daily fail.  I think ccc was just attempting to carry on the debate. 

:D