House Price Crash Forum

Big Data and Populism

workhou

HOLA441

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/how-our-likes-helped-trump-win

A SJW friend of mine send me this link. Basically he reckons Brexit and Trump  were engineered outcomes from personality profiling on FB. Big data can now profile someone based on what facebook posts they like and what they don't like. So he reckons Trump/Brexit supporters were bombarded with coded messages which influenced them to support desired outcomes. Don't know if I agree with this as I made up my mind about Brexit years ago but interesting article.  

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I've no doubt that you can be profiled from your bookface thingy. The things and people you follow, the groups you join, the things you like.  That's why I'm very careful with it and tend to only use it in narrow and passive ways.  

However, I think it is a massive step from this to arguing that subliminal messages actually influenced anything further that what reading the news/ following the news elsewhere.  They can't even predict the outcomes, never mind influence the results :lol:

HOLA445
49 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

They're still working through the five stages of grief. This is the new coping mechanism:

The people who voted for these things are stupid, and must have been tricked into it in some way.

indeed.

remoaners are somewhere in between denial and anger.

HOLA446
14 minutes ago, One-percent said:

I've no doubt that you can be profiled from your bookface thingy. The things and people you follow, the groups you join, the things you like.  That's why I'm very careful with it and tend to only use it in narrow and passive ways.  

However, I think it is a massive step from this to arguing that subliminal messages actually influenced anything further that what reading the news/ following the news elsewhere.  They can't even predict the outcomes, never mind influence the results :lol:

I don't. weaponised music has been on the books sine the nazis used it in world war 2(and is to a degree presently in use).As was meaningless art.

it does not take a genius to work out that advertisers have been using similar methods to persuade people to buy their products(so why not buy their politics?). I guess the bit they don't like too much is some people are proving rather more difficult to hypnotise than they had counted on.

HOLA447
HOLA448
12 minutes ago, oracle said:

I don't. weaponised music has been on the books sine the nazis used it in world war 2(and is to a degree presently in use).As was meaningless art.

it does not take a genius to work out that advertisers have been using similar methods to persuade people to buy their products(so why not buy their politics?). I guess the bit they don't like too much is some people are proving rather more difficult to hypnotise than they had counted on.

I don't doubt there is an attempt to influence.  That's why we have a msm.  With some, there has been incredible success; sjws and special snowflakes. But I'm not convinced there are enough hard of think people for it to have much success.  Otoh, the reaction to trump with the riots and virtue signaling seems to suggest the opposite. 

HOLA449

Hope means people with no hope will cling to anyone/anything that preaches that there is a hope, there is a way, you have a future......surely they do what they are led to believe will change issues for the better, issues they believe have made them feel hopeless.....surely they will be disappointed?;)

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
2 hours ago, oracle said:

indeed.

remoaners are somewhere in between denial and anger.

Nope, the hardcore ones are working on BreEntry for 2030. Trouble is the Euro and Schengen will be part of the deal - and don't think it won't happen, the demographics say so. 

Also I am getting suspicious of the opportunity £, $,€ p three way parity might present.

Brexit is just the first move in tighter integration.

HOLA4413
12 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Nope, the hardcore ones are working on BreEntry for 2030. Trouble is the Euro and Schengen will be part of the deal - and don't think it won't happen, the demographics say so. 

Also I am getting suspicious of the opportunity £, $,€ p three way parity might present.

Brexit is just the first move in tighter integration.

Denial? :)

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
55 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

You're assuming people's political leanings remain the same throughout their lives. Have you never heard of the saying about university students that they "swap the red flag for the blue carpet slippers" as they get old (and they want to keep more of their money).

I agree though, our exit is much better for the sorts of things the EU nations need to carry out to ensure they have a fully functioning currency zone (fiscal transfers) and to becoming a single country. However, I still don't think the Germans and other rich nations' voters are ready for the sorts of monetary transfers required and so there will continue to be lots of fudge hiding the problems and the further building up of unpayable debts. The Germans, Austrians etc. simply culturally think that the med. nations are lazy backsliders. Therefore, most likely I think we'll see a thinning out of the Eurozone first and therefore huge ructions that can become unpredictable in their outcomes. 

The massive change comes after a few years of working for a living whereupon you realise that money doesn't grow on trees / credit cards and the basics that you have been taking for granted (somewhere to live, clothes, food) you actually have to pay for from the wages of a job that you may not like and out of those wages is taken the money that pays for all of these causes you have been cheerleading.

At that point the reality of these hypothetical policies that you have been advocating hits home: every immigrant will make you marginally poorer.  There is no magic pot of money or supply of housing so when you start allowing in millions of immigrants your life will be materially affected for the worse in many many ways.  Still want no borders?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
10 hours ago, hotairmail said:

I agree with this. If advertising did not alter opinions, choices and actions why would so many $billions would be spent on it.

It used to be said that whomsoever the Sun came out and supported would determine the UK general election. I would suggest that Murdoch and his newspapers, the newspapers in general like the Mail, Telegraph and Express and Fox In America probably did more for these outcomes. I note though that Sky is a little rogue and that he is seeking to take control.

Well Cameron attempting to get the Mails ? editor sacked because he suported brexit is more than proof it has an influence, as you say billions spent on advertising is all the proof needed ,what  the sjws can`t work out is why it did not work in their favour when they fell for the rhetoric hook line and sinker 

HOLA4419
6 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

The massive change comes after a few years of working for a living whereupon you realise that money doesn't grow on trees / credit cards and the basics that you have been taking for granted (somewhere to live, clothes, food) you actually have to pay for from the wages of a job that you may not like and out of those wages is taken the money that pays for all of these causes you have been cheerleading.

At that point the reality of these hypothetical policies that you have been advocating hits home: every immigrant will make you marginally poorer.  There is no magic pot of money or supply of housing so when you start allowing in millions of immigrants your life will be materially affected for the worse in many many ways.  Still want no borders?

+ 1000 

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I think the benefits of advertising are massively overstated these days. We're in the age of streaming tv with no adverts, tivo boxes to fast forward through them etc. How often have you watched a youtube advert rather than waiting for 5 seconds until you can skip it?

On top of that we have the benefit of user reviews, such as amazon, so our decisions on purchases can be based around fact based reviews, not some bullsheeet made up advert.

While I have no doubt that the US department of defense have psychologists involved in mass brainwashing ideas, of course they do, they plan for everything where it comes to defense; and of course the UK has its fabled nudge unit. I'm also of the belief that governments are monumentally dumb and couldn't even begin to implement something of this nature. 

I also believe snowflakes have had their time now, and are just lashing out with anything and everything to remain relevant. They're aren't, they're being sidelined, and I have a little black book of those like Lineker and Cumberbatch that will be remembered.

HOLA4422
4 minutes ago, honkydonkey said:

I think the benefits of advertising are massively overstated these days. We're in the age of streaming tv with no adverts, tivo boxes to fast forward through them etc. How often have you watched a youtube advert rather than waiting for 5 seconds until you can skip it?

On top of that we have the benefit of user reviews, such as amazon, so our decisions on purchases can be based around fact based reviews, not some bullsheeet made up advert.

I am influenced by advertising; I think we all are.  Not to buy something that you don't want but when buying, say, trainers one will think a particular brand is good so will pay that extra fiver.

HOLA4423
6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I am influenced by advertising; I think we all are.  Not to buy something that you don't want but when buying, say, trainers one will think a particular brand is good so will pay that extra fiver.

You need to see the advert to be influenced by it though.

Advertising is more likely influencing me to not purchase something, because some (alot) of adverts are extremely crap and annoying and getting in the way of me enjoying whatever it is I'm consuming.

There's a lot of advertising in America with a political message now, like the superbowl advert telling the immigrant story. This is going to come back and bite them where the sun doesn't shine imho. Selling DIY equipment does not give you the right to dictate your opinions onto people. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2017/02/06/84-lumber-and-the-big-budget-super-bowl-ad-to-nowhere/

Archived