House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

workingpoor

Peter Falconio

The girlfriend of murdered British backpacker Peter Falconio has gone back to Australia 15 years after his death to "bring him home".

Joanne Lees said she believed his missing body could still be found.

The 43-year-old returned to the Outback as part of a TV special, revisiting the place where the 28-year-old was shot.

Bradley Murdoch was convicted in 2005 of murdering Mr Falconio and assaulting Ms Lees, then 27, on a remote stretch of highway on July 14 2001.

The murder took place near Barrow Creek, about 200 miles north of Alice Springs.

The couple, from Huddersfield, were travelling when Murdoch waved down their camper van and shot Mr Falconio in the head.

Ms Lees was threatened with a gun, punched in the head and bound with cable-tie restraints before she managed to escape, hiding in bushes for hours while her attacker stalked her with a dog.

Murdoch is believed to have hidden Mr Falconio's body, which has never been found, despite extensive searches.

Ms Lees said she had "no choice" but to run from Murdoch because "it was either run or be raped and killed".

In adverts for the special edition of 60 Minutes, she says: "Pete's still missing. I know that he's somewhere here."

Asked if she is "stepping inside" her attacker's mind, she says: "I guess it is a very alien thing for me to do because I'm not a violent person.

"I'm not a murderer but if that's what I have to do and that's how I'm gong to find Pete then that's what I'm prepared to do."

She adds: "It's because I love Pete so much and I want to bring him home and I need to bring him home."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38942574

Strange case this one, it recieved alot of media  attention at the time, 

No body ever found, just that she heard a gunshot, Falconio is "presumed dead" although police did find a pool of blood on the road. 

Evaded an armed gunman searching the bushes with a dog, whilst bound with cable ties? that is quite a feat.

No idea what happened out there.  One thing I do know is I would nt want to make a TV special out if it if something like that happened to my girlfriend.

21 hours ago, workingpoor said:

No body ever found, just that she heard a gunshot, Falconio is "presumed dead" although police did find a pool of blood on the road. 

Evaded an armed gunman searching the bushes with a dog, whilst bound with cable ties? that is quite a feat.

I think she said she only heard a bang, it wasn't necessarily a gun shot although it's heavily implied that it was a gunshot. She did admit to having an affair with another briton living in Sydney just before she and Peter set off on their road trip. The guilt and presumably initially covering the affiar up might have led to her looking like a wrong 'un, as she was trying to hide something. She reminds me of the McCanns in that way, appearing not to be telling the whole truth even though probably innocent of the crime.

I do not believe she would have been able to fake the entire thing although it would be possible. Bradley Murdoch was convicted in a large part due to low copy number DNA which is controversial in its own right. With any DNA evidence there is always the possibility of contamination in the lab. So it might not have been him. Although there was some circumstantial evidence that he changed his and his vehicle's appearance straight after the incident.

I find it strange  that she is still courting the media regarding this after 15 years.

While I can understand that some experiences can haunt people for years I can't understand why people like her and the mccanns keep pushing for stories to be published.

Realistically lees and the mccanns are probably never going to know what happened (unless they did). Is it lack of acceptance and the ability to move on? the prospect of bringing in money? they're guilty and think that showing their constant search mitigates that?

If something like that happened to me I just can't imagine that under any circumstances I would want it spread over the media. Puzzling!

Thing that had me scratching my chin was her claim that she hid from the murderer and his dog for some time in the bush, then managed to give them the slip.

This wouldn't stand up in court but I remember encountering loads of those dogs when I was in Australia. Blue Heelers, the farmers that I knew loved them, fiercely intelligent, very trainable and...essentially...Good trackers.

I just don't buy that someone, presumably panicking and sweating rivets, could hide for hours in the **** end of nowhere and not be found by one of those dogs. It just doesn't match up to what I saw of them, not at all.

ETA. (How the fark do you edit on here!?)

Seems like the dog claim is controversial, some media claims there was one, others not so. In Oz they made quite a fuss about the mystery dog and as a result a lot of people discounted the story as balls, including me. 

She couldn't be sure according to some reports. 

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

ETA. (How the fark do you edit on here!?)

Seems like the dog claim is controversial, some media claims there was one, others not so. In Oz they made quite a fuss about the mystery dog and as a result a lot of people discounted the story as balls, including me. 

She couldn't be sure according to some reports. 

I don't think you can edit until you reach 100 posts.

Regarding the falciano lees case I don't know much about it but I think it's odd that after 15 years she's going to keep pursuing "bringing him home" Maybe she just hasn't got over it. If she's guilty of involvement in his disappearance you'd think she'd just zip it and keep out the limelight. Or maybe she's desperately trying to make herself appear innocent. I really don't know.

A dog would have found her in short order, some reports say she was handcuffed others that she was bound with cable ties. 

Very difficult to snap a cable tie. 

The Andrews woman i linked to above stabbed her boyfriend to death at the side of the road (she had been having an affair) 

Then tried to claim on national UK television that it was the work of a random road rage maniac. 

2 hours ago, Economic Exile said:

I find it strange  that she is still courting the media regarding this after 15 years.

While I can understand that some experiences can haunt people for years I can't understand why people like her and the mccanns keep pushing for stories to be published.

94867.jpg

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

2 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

Do murderers really return to the scene of the crime?

Rose West will be disappointed if she does - they've knocked it down..!!!

XYY

15 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Rose West will be disappointed if she does - they've knocked it down..!!!

XYY

Not as pissed off as Jack the Ripper would be...