House Price Crash Forum

House of Lords Reform

rahhhh

HOLA441
HOLA442
9 hours ago, rahhhh said:

Any ideas for a reforms of the House of Lords?

I was thinking that it may be good to have a House made of a random selection chosen from the people, like Jury Service. 

There's a good book, "Beyond Democracy" that makes the (quite convincing) case for doing exactly this to replace the Commons.

HOLA443
14 hours ago, rahhhh said:

Any ideas for a reforms of the House of Lords?

I was thinking that it may be good to have a House made of a random selection chosen from the people, like Jury Service. 

Yeah, sortition, it would be an excellent idea imo, but more for a lower house than an upper house.

A revising chamber upper house like the Lords needs to have some hoary old lawyers and elder statesmen in it.  Experts.  Sortition in a lower house that pass bills to an upper house of technocrats to be honed into sensible law seems like a pretty good idea to me.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

There's no need for a second house. Many of the best-run countries in the world have single chamber parliaments (Nordics, NZ).

Everywhere you have 2 chambers they are a relic from the times when people were explicitly divided into clergy, nobles and commoners.

Just abolish it.

HOLA448
16 hours ago, Dorkins said:

There's no need for a second house. Many of the best-run countries in the world have single chamber parliaments (Nordics, NZ).

Everywhere you have 2 chambers they are a relic from the times when people were explicitly divided into clergy, nobles and commoners.

Just abolish it.

The House of Lords provides dedicated scrutiny of secondary legislation, which is important.

HOLA449
17 minutes ago, Will! said:

The House of Lords provides dedicated scrutiny of secondary legislation, which is important.

If enactment of primary legislation requires legislative scrutiny, the primary legislation should be amended in such a way that it is explicit what the legislature intends.

Abolishing the second chamber would mean its roles transferring to other bodies (the first chamber and the judiciary).

HOLA4410
3 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

If enactment of primary legislation requires legislative scrutiny, the primary legislation should be amended.

That would generate a huge volume of legislative work.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
7 minutes ago, Will! said:

That would generate a huge volume of legislative work.

Also, the first chamber should be working hard on legislation. MPs waste too much time acting as pseudo-councillors for their constituents. Much of their "constituency work" could be replaced by emailing back a contact list of the constituent's local councillors.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
4 minutes ago, ChewingGrass said:

When was the last time there was such a thing as a truly independant committee, plus committees can't make decisions without squandering multi-millions of cash on consultants, all of which have their own agenda and lobbyists.

Agreed and I don't know how to get round that, but it can't be beyond the wit of man to improve upon the current cronyfest. 

HOLA4421
Guest TheBlueCat

Just abolish it, it adds no value that couldn't be replaced by making the house of commons spend more time looking at stuff before they pass it. In fact, if the commons spent more time on each act that would stop them passing so much pointless crap overal so it would be a double bonus.

HOLA4422
10 hours ago, Dorkins said:

Single chamber legislatures have been shown to work in practice. They are working right now in mature democracies like the Nordics and Baltics, New Zealand, Israel.

Not when they are composed by lottery rather than election as suggested in the OP. You wouldn't have the high proportion of lawyers or the experience of longstanding members.

HOLA4423
On 10/02/2017 at 3:28 PM, SarahBell said:

That's a lot of MPs.

not really.

I work that out to be about 50 per region.aside from tings like transport+defence which need to be national, we could probably have it as 30 delegates per region,assigned  via PR voting system

If we were doing things on that kind of basis, we might as well consolidate all local government into it as well,because there's a lot of duplication.

I'm not completely averse to the idea of consolidation of police forces etc within said regions. ie instead of say norfolk,suffolk,cambridgeshire,huntingdonshire we now have east anglia police.

HOLA4424
14 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Not when they are composed by lottery rather than election as suggested in the OP. You wouldn't have the high proportion of lawyers or the experience of longstanding members.

I think the high proportion of lawyers is actually part of the problem. they speak a closed shop jargon and serve to make everything as semantically complex as possible to keep themselves in employment.Applies equally to the commons.

we need a much better spread of society in both houses, not just bankers and lawyers.We need ground breaking doctors,engineers,industrialists and yes, some trade union reps.

I wouldn't even dismiss some clergy out of hand either,because there is a need for a moral compass to temper the worst excesses of madcap transhumanists.

HOLA4425
15 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

Just abolish it, it adds no value that couldn't be replaced by making the house of commons spend more time looking at stuff before they pass it. In fact, if the commons spent more time on each act that would stop them passing so much pointless crap overal so it would be a double bonus.

Or they'd just fling the crap out unamended.

I agree that the Lords in theory needs reform, unfortunately what I'm not sure about is if any alternative will actually do a better job.

Archived