House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmmaRoid

Question

12 minutes ago, happy_renting said:

Yes. It literally translates as 'shameful pleasure' but it means deriving pleasure from (other people's) misfortunes.

The opposite to that is envy, which is the chief cause of human unhappiness. So that aint good either. Bad news equals gratitude.

http://richhabits.net/envy-creates-misery/

I don't think schadenfruede/epicaricacy does it justice. I'm not sure it's about the enjoyment in misfortune, more an enjoyment in bad things.

When people are innately drawn to such things, are they harbouring a desire to commit acts of destruction?

1 hour ago, hotairmail said:

The everything is shit brigade is one thing, it's the ones who seem to be excited by it I get worried about...

I hear Paris is lovely at this time of year. It's probably a good time to visit

2 minutes ago, 24 year mortgage 8itch said:

The everything is shit brigade is one thing, it's the ones who seem to be excited by it I get worried about...

This is quite a good example of thoughts not being constrained by language, as discussed on another thread recently. The words flow from the pre-existing feelings and beliefs, not the other way around, counter to the tenets of those that would impose "Newspeak".

1 hour ago, 24 year mortgage 8itch said:

It's also availability bias (and any number of other cognitive disorders) i.e. humans seek patterns in stuff they can easily recall.

So, a single (or several) incidents somewhere in Europe (or Paris as you allude to) = Europe is a bad place full of bad incidents. Trump uses this to good effect. So also do those people who start threads on this nonsense every time there is an incident even though statistically they are irrelevant. For instance 32,000 people die in the US in auto accidents every year but nobody bans cars, only Syrians refugees

3 hours ago, Little Frank said:

It's also availability bias (and any number of other cognitive disorders) i.e. humans seek patterns in stuff they can easily recall.

So, a single (or several) incidents somewhere in Europe (or Paris as you allude to) = Europe is a bad place full of bad incidents. Trump uses this to good effect. So also do those people who start threads on this nonsense every time there is an incident even though statistically they are irrelevant. For instance 32,000 people die in the US in auto accidents every year but nobody bans cars, only Syrians refugees

Ridiculous comparison.

One would impact the lives of almost every person on the planet. The other would not. 

3 hours ago, ccc said:

Ridiculous comparison.

One would impact the lives of almost every person on the planet. The other would not. 

we're talking about availability bias. Impact is irrelevant

keep up...

1 hour ago, Little Frank said:

we're talking about availability bias. Impact is irrelevant

keep up...

No you're talking about availability bias.

I'm talking about a ridiculous comparison.