House Price Crash Forum
NuBrit

Men earn £12,500 less in 20s than generation before, research shows

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/feb/09/men-earnings-20s-millennials-generation-x-resolution-foundation

Young men today will earn £12,500 less in their 20s than the generation before them, according to a thinktank, partly as a result of taking on low-paid jobs previously done by women.

Torsten Bell, the director of the Resolution Foundation, will argue that evidence showing Generation Y, also known as millennials, earn less than their Generation X predecessors in every year between 22 and 30 was a blow to the idea that each age group should be better off than the last.

In a lecture in Manchester on Thursday, Bell will show that women have adapted better to changes in the workplace brought on by automation in the past 25 years. Women have responded to the loss of secretarial jobs by moving into higher-skilled posts, whereas many of the men who lost manufacturing roles have ended up in lower-skilled and lower-paid occupations.

1727.jpg?w=460&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=ed4bf1380c667663c5f8b098b863552f
Anushka Asthana is joined by Kate Andrews, Sonia Sodha and Owen Jones in a week where the government’s short Brexit bill cleared its first parliamentary hurdle.

Listen

The foundation, which concentrates on issues affecting those on low and middle incomes, has set up an intergenerational commission to look at whether millennials, whom it defines as those born between 1981 and 2000, are getting a fair deal.

The thinktank’s research shows that millennial men are doing worse than those from Generation X, which it defines as those born between 1966 and 1980. The proportion of low-paid work done by young men increased by 45% between 1993 and 2015-16, in part a result of the number of young men in retail jobs rising from 85,000 to 165,000. 

Women are still significantly more likely to work in retail than men, but the number of young women employed in the sector has fallen since the early 1990s. The number of young men working in bars and restaurants has gone up from 45,000 to 130,000 since 1993.

Bell will say the stunted pay progress for young men has been exacerbated by an increase in part-time work. The foundation’s analysis shows that since 1993, the number of men aged 22-35 working part time in the lowest-paid occupations (basic administration, service and sales) has increased four-fold, while the number of young women working part time in these jobs has fallen.

“The long-held belief that each generation should do better than the last is under threat. Millennials today are the first to earn less than their predecessors. While that in part reflects their misfortune to come of age in the midst of a huge financial crisis, there are wider economic forces that have seen young men in particular slide back,” he will say.

“The fact that young women have bucked this trend by moving overwhelmingly into higher-skilled roles is welcome, and suggests that the disruptive force of automation has met its match in the forward march of education and feminism.

“But if the past year has taught us anything, it is that we need to look beyond the headlines of rising employment to recognise the challenges posed to groups of workers that are left behind. Policymakers need to recognise the frustration that can follow from finding that Britain does not have the opportunities you had hoped, or indeed seen previous generations enjoy.”

In the early 2000s I completed an engineering apprenticeship in a chemical plant. I can remember fitters showing me showing me pay slips from the late 80s where they had earned 50K a year with overtime. This was in a poor northern town.

The plant is of course no longer there.

9 minutes ago, doomed said:

In the early 2000s I completed an engineering apprenticeship in a chemical plant. I can remember fitters showing me showing me pay slips from the late 80s where they had earned 50K a year with overtime. This was in a poor northern town.

The plant is of course no longer there.

This was not unusual during the late 80s boom for skilled.trades people.

Even in the less booming times, a virtually guarantee of 10-15 hours OT boosted your wages by 30-50%. A mate worked 8-6 with a 30 minute dinner time - 9.5 hours, an extra 2h/day over his contracted hours.. 10h/week at 1.5/2 hourly rate giving ~50% bump to his earning. He lived locally, so the hours were a piece of p1ss. No commute; 15 minute walk.

These days it s impossible to recruit any person under 45 - tax credits kids, or over 50 - disability. UK's fcked.

The number of young men working in bars and restaurants has gone up from 45,000 to 130,000 since 1993. Certainly a change I have noticed in places like Wetherspoons these last few years. Actually I  think they do a  better job than young women to boot, nothing worse than being served by a young sullen don't mess with me type girl with an attitude.

53 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Our intake of young men has gone up more than women? 

I, for one, could use more young women. My intake isn't high enough at present.

Edited by Errol

22 minutes ago, Errol said:

I, for one, could use more young women. My intake isn't high enough at present.

Not happening, you have to wait until you are 50 to get in the minority. Could be worse, you could live in Sweden where the ratio has gone to 116/100  in some younger cohorts because of asylum claims. No wonder Swedish women are joining the SJW movement, it's all good for them and bloody  depressing if you are a young Swedish bloke,.

chart_sex_ratio_united-kingdom.png

Edited by crashmonitor

Not only men's wages fallen but women's like for like.....many jobs only women would do like shop assistant, and care work, more men are now doing jobs women mainly did and women are doing jobs only men used to do.... equality is a good thing but wages most definitely for either have not kept pace with the costs of living especially housing costs......more women are forced to work today although some may still choose to work.....once there were more choices now far less so.;)

Edited by winkie

1 hour ago, NuBrit said:

a blow to the idea that each age group should be better off than the last.

Western culture subconsciously operates under the myth that evolution equals progress but that's only ever true locally. There's no global arrow of progress in Nature, why assume there must there be one in History? Evolution isn't the linear adoption of bigger and faster but a reward for what's reproductively practical, moment by moment. Insular dwarfism is a highly successful evolutionary strategy that involves the reduction in size of large animals over successive generations when they are subject to geographical isolation. Resource scarcity imposes an evolutionary constraint that only shrinking can satisfy. If we're now obliged to reduce our swagger like the Maltese hippopotamus it's because we've run out of options to do otherwise.

A lot of housing and finance is based on 'people earning more as they get older'

Flies in the face of the actual stats which show Joe UKAverage's earning peak in their early 30s. And thats from a time when most people under 40 actually did productive work rather than tax credit it.

1 minute ago, spyguy said:

A lot of housing and finance is based on 'people earning more as they get older'

Flies in the face of the actual stats which show Joe UKAverage's earning peak in their early 30s. And thats from a time when most people under 40 actually did productive work rather than tax credit it.

That was the old chestrnut used to convince people of my generation to go balls deep into debt....wage inflation would pay it off....not in the last 15 years it's not.

19 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Western culture subconsciously operates under the myth that evolution equals progress

Yes, they operate under a similar delusion that democracy is by default the best system and what everyone is aiming for.

51 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

And directed towards the wrong targets, like protesting against the very things that have placed the chains around them.

Exactly this. 

Nothing frustrates me more, or gives me as little hope of anything changing for the better, as the lack of hostility by my contemporaries towards the status quo. I just do not understand it. Of course, there are people like me who are angry, but if I am honest with myself, we are in the minority; even my well-educated associates of a similar age seem quite accepting of the current situation... and they certainly do not read HPC.co.uk!!

2 minutes ago, btl_hater said:

Exactly this. 

Nothing frustrates me more, or gives me as little hope of anything changing for the better, as the lack of hostility by my contemporaries towards the status quo. I just do not understand it. Of course, there are people like me who are angry, but if I am honest with myself, we are in the minority; even my well-educated associates of a similar age seem quite accepting of the current situation... and they certainly do not read HPC.co.uk!!

The bread and circuses of this generation are supremely efficient, the likes of social media and streaming sites giving that psychological instant-reward dopamine hit that so inhibits longer term strategic and critical thinking.

The Romans would have literally decimated an entire continent to have had control of Facebook and Twitter.

If they didn't already exist, the elites would have had to invent them.

2 hours ago, spyguy said:

This

My pension statements has wage inflation referenced as a given. I joined the workforce in 2008 since then wage inflation in Software engineering for those that don't move jobs is basically 1% or so not particularly inspiring that my pension will actually be anything like as expected when i retire at 68+ or whenever i am expected to slave untill.

5 hours ago, spyguy said:

This was not unusual during the late 80s boom for skilled.trades people.

Even in the less booming times, a virtually guarantee of 10-15 hours OT boosted your wages by 30-50%. A mate worked 8-6 with a 30 minute dinner time - 9.5 hours, an extra 2h/day over his contracted hours.. 10h/week at 1.5/2 hourly rate giving ~50% bump to his earning. He lived locally, so the hours were a piece of p1ss. No commute; 15 minute walk.

These days it s impossible to recruit any person under 45 - tax credits kids, or over 50 - disability. UK's fcked.

When i was 22 working on a factory production line i used to get £24 an hour on a Sunday.1991.Thats just the wage of course,i also got free shares,share save,final salary pension,6 months full sick pay,28 days holiday+ bank holidays,fully paid for breaks on shifts and free healthcare.The company still made billions in profits.

The only ordinary people now getting more than that are all on tax credits and DLA for naughty kids.

50 minutes ago, durhamborn said:

When i was 22 working on a factory production line i used to get £24 an hour on a Sunday.1991.Thats just the wage of course,i also got free shares,share save,final salary pension,6 months full sick pay,28 days holiday+ bank holidays,fully paid for breaks on shifts and free healthcare.The company still made billions in profits.

The only ordinary people now getting more than that are all on tax credits and DLA for naughty kids.

Jobs with perks like that seem like fantasy to my generation. I hear of similar stories from people and it almost seems like fiction!

The final salary pension scheme at work was closed  a few years ago and now it's a proportion of the salary. 

Currently we are going through a pay grading exercise which will put an end inflated salaries of years gone by and have everyone on a similar footing. I seriously doubt though they will be raising everyone's salary's up the old ones:lol::lol:

I blame the greedy boomers not holding the policy makers and bankers to account while decent jobs and affordable housing disappeared forever. 

1 hour ago, durhamborn said:

When i was 22 working on a factory production line i used to get £24 an hour on a Sunday.1991.Thats just the wage of course,i also got free shares,share save,final salary pension,6 months full sick pay,28 days holiday+ bank holidays,fully paid for breaks on shifts and free healthcare.

Wow! It's shocking to see how bad things have got now.

59 minutes ago, durhamborn said:

I remember once when sick getting paid twice, one from work one from sickness benefit!! Yes, total benefit packages are far worse today than they once were.;)

7 hours ago, hotairmail said:

And directed towards the wrong targets, like protesting against the very things that have placed the chains around them.

Hey, we have to make sure that we have non-genderised restrooms!  It's disgraceful that we are assigning gender in this day and age!

Seriously, TPTP have conned the population into thinking that non-issues are what constitute 'freedom'.  Meanwhile, the so called 'liberal' establishment that has been running the show in the West for the last couple of decades has been stripping away the freedom to have privacy with mass surveillance, taking away rights of people accused of crimes, removing financial freedoms like freedom to use cash or freedom to move your money around as you see fit and passing ever more complex laws and regulations about just about everything that can land you with a hefty fine or jail if you step out of line.  Things aren't far removed from a police state now, IMO.

Given how the younger generation have been totally disenfranchised in terms of their future quality of life they should be on the streets demanding the complete reformation of the financial system, sensible monetary policy and the reinstatement of privacy and civil liberties.  Instead, we have mobs of Social Justice Warrior rioting over completely BS non-issues that they have been told by the media are 'important rights'.  Their anger is being cynically channelled by the establishment.

5 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

That was the old chestrnut used to convince people of my generation to go balls deep into debt....wage inflation would pay it off....not in the last 15 years it's not.

This 100% 

It's why these people taking on 25% share shared ownership or the helptobuy loan are fubared ..they are under impression their income like their parents will go up to cover it ..it won't .Wages are not going anywhere.I applied for a role recently and was called said I looked good for role but salary was quite low , I said ok what is it and it was less than I got for a less skilled roll in same town in 2006 !!! 

55 minutes ago, Sour Mash said:

Seriously, TPTP have conned the population into thinking that non-issues are what constitute 'freedom'.  Meanwhile, the so called 'liberal' establishment that has been running the show in the West for the last couple of decades has been stripping away the freedom to have privacy with mass surveillance, taking away rights of people accused of crimes, removing financial freedoms like freedom to use cash or freedom to move your money around as you see fit and passing ever more complex laws and regulations about just about everything that can land you with a hefty fine or jail if you step out of line.  Things aren't far removed from a police state now, IMO.

Given how the younger generation have been totally disenfranchised in terms of their future quality of life they should be on the streets demanding the complete reformation of the financial system, sensible monetary policy and the reinstatement of privacy and civil liberties.  Instead, we have mobs of Social Justice Warrior rioting over completely BS non-issues that they have been told by the media are 'important rights'.  Their anger is being cynically channelled by the establishment.

Yes. Agreed. 

Good post.

3 hours ago, Mr Banks said:

This

My pension statements has wage inflation referenced as a given. I joined the workforce in 2008 since then wage inflation in Software engineering for those that don't move jobs is basically 1% or so not particularly inspiring that my pension will actually be anything like as expected when i retire at 68+ or whenever i am expected to slave untill.

Move jobs.

If company play that dumb game then they deserve to get it in the neck.