House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

libspero

John Bercow - Right or Wrong ?

John Bercow - Donald Trump  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Was John Bercow right to bar Donald Trump from addressing parliament ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Who ?
    • Maybe

He should keep his opinion private. Nobody cares what he thinks and the House of Commons is not his personal soap box.

Also, the manner in which he presumed to speak for the whole country was just laughable.

The Speaker leaves their own opinion behind when they take up the post -- and, by tradition, even after they have left it.  This is a great sacrifice, and is why the holder is normally given a peerage when they depart the position (although, note that they sit as a crossbencher in the House of Lords).

Bercow's statement is seriously out of place.  I cannot see how he can continue to sit as Speaker after it.

All depends what it says in the job description.....does it say can make known in public own personal options? If not maybe in the wrong job.;)

And now he's saying he defends his statement.  If he was doing his job he wouldn't have statements to defend.  No matter how annoyed he gets, or passionately he believes, etc.

If he said anything at this point it should be to apologise for bringing disrepute to his position.

He should go.

14 minutes ago, dgul said:

And now he's saying he defends his statement.  If he was doing his job he wouldn't have statements to defend.  No matter how annoyed he gets, or passionately he believes, etc.

If he said anything at this point it should be to apologise for bringing disrepute to his position.

He should go.

I think he should duck off right now too.

I suspect quite a few of these replies are coming from the point of view of not disliking Trump. I do dislike Trump and I'm not really sure that I disagree with Bercow's opinion, but being in the role of Speaker his job is to keep his opinions out of it (it's a role I couldn't do!)

Liking on not liking Trump is fairly irrelevant. Attempting to destroy the relationship between the UK and USA, at this moment in time, is at best stupid and at worst suicidal. 

Another one who deems a suspension of visa issuance as unconscionable, but bombing the same people back to the stone age as just dandy. 

In 2003, Bercow praised prime minister Tony Blair for his speech about Iraq's alleged possession of weapons of mass destruction. He wrote, "Congratulations on your superb speech in the Iraq debate. On this subject, as on many other foreign affairs issues, you have provided outstanding statesmanship."

From wiki:

"As a young activist, Bercow was a member of the right-wing Conservative Monday Club, becoming secretary of its immigration and repatriation committee. "

Oh, he was a merchant banker as well. He seems to hold whatever beliefs are most likely to advance his own interests. You wouldn't call him a man of integrity.

28 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Another one who deems a suspension of visa issuance as unconscionable, but bombing the same people back to the stone age as just dandy. 

'In 2003, Bercow praised prime minister Tony Blair for his speech about Iraq's alleged possession of weapons of mass destruction. He wrote, "Congratulations on your superb speech in the Iraq debate. On this subject, as on many other foreign affairs issues, you have provided outstanding statesmanship."

So, an ****-licker as well?

2 hours ago, CunningPlan said:

Liking on not liking Trump is fairly irrelevant. Attempting to destroy the relationship between the UK and USA, at this moment in time, is at best stupid and at worst suicidal. 

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.. as I understand it Trump had no actual plans to speak in parliament anyway,  infact quite the opposite. 

So why make an issue where one doesn't exist at a time when internationally we need as many friends as possible?

And the guy's a politician?!  What a world class silly billy.

Reassuring to see the OT reaction after R4 today gleefully passing it off as a fantastic turn of events and a triumph against..  um, stuff and things.  Oh,  and you know because Trump hates women and racial people because someone says so apparently even though there seems to be pretty much chuff all evidence that any of that is true.

Having followed this thread all day, I do wonder how someone who is so blatantly self serving can also be so naive and apparently so stupid.  The alternative is that this is some elaborate double bluff type of plan and ad thus is a deliberate play 

Some commentators argue that he was speaking for the majority of the Commons.

in the Commons, the majority of the Commons are perfectly capable and free to speak for themselves. That's why it''s called Parliament.

He should have kept his mouth shut. Impartiality is not a matter of being impartial except for the times when you are not impartial.

Trump's an **** but Bercow was completely wrong. Let's take some of the recent people who have addresses both houses of parliament:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_have_addressed_both_Houses_of_the_United_Kingdom_Parliament

Xi Jinping, China - many, many horrible things but in the Muslim context, China's treatment of the Uyghurs is way beyond a mere temporary travel ban into their country from the outside.

Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, Kuwait - prison for being gay, permanent travel ban in Israelis citizens, usual harsh punishment for speaking out.

Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, Indonesia - torture, religious discrimination, persecution of gays, etc.

To put Trump, the democratically elected leader of our closest ally, in a category somehow worse than this lot is ridiculous not to mention supremely rude (ruder even than The Donald himself).