House Price Crash Forum

Ssangyong Cars

Patfig

HOLA441

Those Ladas go off road, if not very fast. One bloke I know had three of them. Mind you, I believe him to be eccentric.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Its easy to laugh at Lada's but they are tough and simple to work on.  Having said that I wouldn't want to travel too far in one.  As to the OP's original question, I would not discount comfort.  Amazing deals on Volvo S/V60's at the moment and Volvo's tend to be supremely comfortable.

HOLA444
4 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

If you want newish car cheap then this site is good, ex rentals and leases:

https://www.motorpoint.co.uk/

If you are desperate to go new then maybe a diesel Dacia,though pay the extra and have a radio, or soemthing with a huge warranty, IIRC Kias have 7 year and Vauxhalls 10 yr / 100k miles.

I start from the position that most mass market cars these days are extremely well built and people saying "don't buy a <insert brand name here>" are basing it upon a rusty banger their mate had twenty years ago rather than the last ten years.

The basic model Duster will be all wired up for radio -- just buy a cheap radio on ebay if that's what you'd be paying the extras for.

I quite like the Duster; IMO it's really cool, but only in poverty spec -- petrol engine, steel wheels, white with black bumpers.  I am considering getting one, but not yet committed (see the diesel scrappage thread for my new found frustrations after years of only buying 10+ year old cars).

HOLA445
HOLA446
10 hours ago, sisyphal said:

Not sure what age you're going for, but do you research on rust first.

Pre 2009 are susceptible.  

I do like the look of the new ones though.

This is the sort of thing i'd be going for. But really i'd be looking for a petrol i guess.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192023733474?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

However my 09 Focus Zetec S still refuses to give me a reason to ditch it.

HOLA447
22 minutes ago, dougless said:

Its easy to laugh at Lada's but they are tough and simple to work on.  Having said that I wouldn't want to travel too far in one.  As to the OP's original question, I would not discount comfort.  Amazing deals on Volvo S/V60's at the moment and Volvo's tend to be supremely comfortable.

I wish Saab hadn't gone tits up. My 99 9-5 was an absolute beaut.

HOLA448
14 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

If you want newish car cheap then this site is good, ex rentals and leases:

https://www.motorpoint.co.uk/

If you are desperate to go new then maybe a diesel Dacia,though pay the extra and have a radio, or soemthing with a huge warranty, IIRC Kias have 7 year and Vauxhalls 10 yr / 100k miles.

I start from the position that most mass market cars these days are extremely well built and people saying "don't buy a <insert brand name here>" are basing it upon a rusty banger their mate had twenty years ago rather than the last ten years.

Nooo, just forked out 600 quid for an injector failure on a 4 year old VW van. Bloody useless

HOLA449

It's interesting ( to me at least) that SsangYong are offering an unlimited mileage warranty so there must be some confidence that they wont lose money on this. There is a dealer in Plymouth and I might just go have a test drive of one. Maybe it might be one of those ahead of the curve moments either way Dacia who have made a lot of ground in recent years must be a little worried

HOLA4410
3 minutes ago, Patfig said:

It's interesting ( to me at least) that SsangYong are offering an unlimited mileage warranty so there must be some confidence that they wont lose money on this. There is a dealer in Plymouth and I might just go have a test drive of one. Maybe it might be one of those ahead of the curve moments either way Dacia who have made a lot of ground in recent years must be a little worried

I've never had a car with a warranty to backup with personal experience but watch out for any loopholes, I just try to pick the best quality/proven reliability brand and model car for the budget I have, there's a lot to go wrong outside of engine and drivetrain (if that is all that is covered). You might get great warranty support, you might get a courtesy car every time you need it, you might be ahead of the quality curve and the SsangYong will be perfect purchase.

What you need though is a car that will have a the best chance of doing 200K miles in the next 5 years with minimal hassle/cost. Then theres the bailout cost - what if the car does not perform up to expectations or you just dislike it after 50K/100K miles, the depreciation will be very large. When you test drive it go on a long run, not just round the block, seats can be comfortable for a few minutes or noise levels acceptable for a short journey but longer distance is a different story.

HOLA4411

Just a thought Pat, given that you're going to be eating cars at that mileage and hence depreciating your £15k to very little, why not go for a cheap existing high miler for buttons and run it for a couple of years before chucking it.

There's a good range at every auction at these, local to you.  I might try one next time because I've had both my current and prior cars for over seven years each and fancy going back to my early days of buying cheap older cars and changing them for a bit of variety.

http://www.staustellbaymotorauctions.com/car-auction/

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
6 hours ago, onlyme2 said:

I've never had a car with a warranty to backup with personal experience but watch out for any loopholes, I just try to pick the best quality/proven reliability brand and model car for the budget I have, there's a lot to go wrong outside of engine and drivetrain (if that is all that is covered). You might get great warranty support, you might get a courtesy car every time you need it, you might be ahead of the quality curve and the SsangYong will be perfect purchase.

What you need though is a car that will have a the best chance of doing 200K miles in the next 5 years with minimal hassle/cost. Then theres the bailout cost - what if the car does not perform up to expectations or you just dislike it after 50K/100K miles, the depreciation will be very large. When you test drive it go on a long run, not just round the block, seats can be comfortable for a few minutes or noise levels acceptable for a short journey but longer distance is a different story.

Exactly, the "5 year warranty" thing lures in a lot of people, but it's not all its cracked up to be.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
1 minute ago, Little Frank said:

Never buy a product from a company with superfluous consonants. That's a rule.

Actually anything which is "almost unknown" will be hard to sell, when it is time.

HOLA4416

SSangyongs have always been reasonably well made as far as I know, just up until now nearly all of them were ugly- quite extravagantly so in a few cases!

Reading the reviews they reckon the ride isn't that great, which could get wearing if you're doing a lot of miles? Personally I'd always choose a large-ish saloon as my mile-muncher of choice, but if you fancy a small-ish 'crossover' for whatever reason (is some of your mileage on tight bumpy little country roads?) then the Tivoli looks O.K. It'll be worth next to nothing after 150-200k miles, but so what really- if it's 15k to buy new that's <10p a mile in depreciation, which is not unreasonable. I would check out the servicing costs / service intervals as well- although you can in theory get your car serviced anywhere and still claim on the warranty if you can prove it's been done properly, in practive you're going to have a much easier time claiming on the warranty (should you need to) if you've taken it to a franchised dealer.

I wouldn't do it that way personally of course, I'd try and find a Peugeot 406 HDi diesel with <150k on the clock and take it from there, there are loads of stories of taxi drivers taking them over 400k on the original engine!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
10 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

Toyota every time for me. My new RAV4 does 42 mpg in town, has all the toys and will do 57 on a long motorway trip. 

Edit it to say:  also has a five year warranty. 

Emporer Akihito has a fine stable of Toyota Centurys. I want one!

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I had an idea during my Sunday morning lie-in and wanted to share. Like most of my ideas it probably won't work in reality.

I'll use this car to highlight the point easily given its high value: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612190706580

If you use this car's details (2 owners, colour, year, mileage, FSH) and place it on WeBuyAnyCar it spits out £110k. Anyone who has used WBAC knows they'll up it slightly after a few days so let's say £112k . So that's £160 - £112 = £-48k; in other words you're handing over £48k (!!) to a dealer for advertising the car and cleaning it and taking on the risk of selling it. Most traders will pay close to WBAC prices, in fact some have told me they "can't match" WBAC somteimes. In other words, the trade price for this car right now is £112k.

Anyway, the point: I've noticed these adverts sometimes on AutoTrader saying "WE WILL BUY YOUR CAR" and then saying what they want to buy. What is to stop me from doing that, setting up a flashy website (easy), for say a lowly BMW 2 series, and paying the trade price + say 5% on top? Obviously I'd need to pay out cash but aside from that, if the car is fairly new and you can be assured it hasn't been ruined. are there any drawbacks?

There must be a flaw to my plan...

HOLA4421

I don't see a huge flaw.

You could get near to trade prices at auctions but you could probably beat that with your method as you would get people wanting to sell coming to you.

The downside with both auction and private purchase is the lack of any kind of warranty or comeback so I would happily buy a sub £1,000 car that way but not a £112k car unless I was an expert mechanic who would know from an inspection if it had any problems.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I'm very unsure how the Webuyanycar business model works profitably. Most people get shot of cars because there's something wrong with them even with the most thorough inspection and a diagnostic plug in it's impossible to catch everything. I prefer to buy something when I know the real reason for selling rather than 'child on the way' and all the usual BS that's a red flag to run a mile.

Having said that a lot of the 'spares and repairs' on ebay goes for too much money in my opinion. I have had a few MOT failure bargains off there a lot of people aren't keen on corroded brake pipes it seems and a couple of other things but a lot of the 'suspected head gasket' type engine failures go for far too much and the same for the accident damaged stuff.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

What is to stop me from doing that, setting up a flashy website (easy), for say a lowly BMW 2 series, and paying the trade price + say 5% on top? Obviously I'd need to pay out cash but aside from that, if the car is fairly new and you can be assured it hasn't been ruined. are there any drawbacks?

There must be a flaw to my plan...

I think the flaw would be that since apparently 90% (!) of new cars are 'sold' via a PCP plan or similar, there aren't very many private owners who actually own a 3 year old 2-series to sell to you. But you should, as Frank says, be able to pay close to trade at an auction from a dealer with returned ex-PCP stock to clear.

Archived