House Price Crash Forum
ChewingGrass

Scruffy Roads & Streets

Just been looking at slide photographs from the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s of normal roads and streets in suburban London with run of the mill maisonettes, semis and detached houses and compared them to now on streetview. How ramshackle everywhere now looks, neatly tended gardens gone, overgrown hedges, broken fences, mismatched garden walls, ugly/shoddy extensions, rutted verges, broken kerbs and a general air of neglect.

I imagine this is typical of many places other than London when you look the differences are stunning.

I wonder what todays newly built estates will look like in 20/30 years time or less!

The council road of my childhood used to be filled with blossom in Spring and neatly clipped hedges. Now, the gardens have been tarmaced over by landlords and the trees all died when the roots got dug through to put cable TV in. There's progress for you.

Edit: And then there is the home improvements of PVC Georgian front doors with fake leaded-windows!

Edited by OurDayWillCome

So much money spent on buying / renting the damn accommodation, and so little time free from both working and ever longer commutes due to not being able to afford near work... Or renting and not really caring... Vicious circles...

On 06/02/2017 at 11:06 PM, OurDayWillCome said:

Edit: And then there is the home improvements of PVC Georgian front doors with fake leaded-windows!

I absolutely hate plastic doors/windows. An absolute abomination.

4 hours ago, Errol said:

If one has to work every hour just to pay for an overpriced slavebox, why replace with something that requires ££ to maintain? Where we are, even gardeners/ maintenance services are £25 per hour. Personally, after a 50+ hour working week plus 15 hours commute, I don't have the energy or time to also sand and treat multiple fenestration occlusions.. Each to their own..

Ive noticed that estate agents hardly bother to mention the size and orientation of gardens anymore. That's how unimportant they are and to many people a largish garden is a minus point .

Out of the visible neighbours gardens we are the only household that has a washing line and hangs our washing out. 

We are no longer a nation that washes cars, tends gardens,grows vegetables and cuts lawns. For many people this is what cheap EU labourer is for.

My childhood was full of beautiful council maintained parks, nice putting greens, fantastic lidos and looked after tennis courts. Suburban London again.

Btw it wasn't all great, the football pitches were mainly poor and changing facilities abysmal . This doesn't matter anymore as local sports participation has fallen off a cliff and we moan constantly about obesity. Proves facilities were not the driving force . I believe previous recent generations were more physical inclined probably due to the lack of cars,TVs and even lack of money. Having a personally well maintained home was encouraged and respected in the community.

Some large private estates of modest houses rented out to artisans were maintained by teams of gardeners and painters to a very high standard - the landlord didn't want a scruffy estate to be seen to be belonging to him !

Housing estates had competitive gardens in bloom competitions and allotments were popular. This all seem to be diminishing by end of the 70s.

On 09/02/2017 at 4:32 PM, Errol said:

Ditto, something I really want to replace on my house when I get the chance. A few days every few years repainting is hardly a burden if you don't live in a 20-bedroom mansion. I guess that before that they'd been single glazed, so the change to double glazing was a plus, to plastic, yuck. There's the whole plastic porch on the back door too, and very useful it is but not very pleasant.

Edited by Riedquat

On 09/02/2017 at 9:04 PM, hp72 said:

If one has to work every hour just to pay for an overpriced slavebox, why replace with something that requires ££ to maintain? Where we are, even gardeners/ maintenance services are £25 per hour. Personally, after a 50+ hour working week plus 15 hours commute, I don't have the energy or time to also sand and treat multiple fenestration occlusions.. Each to their own..

If you use good quality wood no real maintenance is required. Stuff should last 20yrs +, with no work.

On 09/02/2017 at 9:04 PM, hp72 said:

You are paying too much for gardening. I have had quotes from very respectable gardeners at almost half that in rural Kent.

Also, not everything has to be about that extra bit of longevity. I wouldn't advocate getting wooden windows in the West Country as it's too wet but here in the SE they look about 1000 times better than horrid PVC ones. People should be more houseproud, I work 50 hours a week yet still find time at weekends to do DIY. The plan this weekend is to sand down and paint the guttering... It's all about priorities. Everyone is so busy working yet they miraculously have time to watch boxsets and average 3 hours of TV a day... riiight.

Edited by spunko2010

3 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

You are paying too much for gardening. I have had quotes from very respectable gardeners at almost half that in rural Kent.

Also, not everything has to be about that extra bit of longevity. I wouldn't advocate getting wooden windows in the West Country as it's too wet but here in the SE they look about 1000 times better than horrid PVC ones. People should be more houseproud, I work 50 hours a week yet still find time at weekends to do DIY. The plan this weekend is to sand down and paint the guttering... It's all about priorities. Everyone is so busy working yet they miraculously have time to watch boxsets and average 3 hours of TV a day... riiight.

The more effort people put into ways of saving time the less time they appear to have. All they end up doing is cram more irrelevencies in, or use it to get pushed into more work, and get more stressed. Resist anything that's supposed to make life quicker! You just end up with more superficialities and less ability to get grounded.

1 hour ago, Riedquat said:

The more effort people put into ways of saving time the less time they appear to have. All they end up doing is cram more irrelevencies in, or use it to get pushed into more work, and get more stressed. Resist anything that's supposed to make life quicker! You just end up with more superficialities and less ability to get grounded.

I agree with that - except for online shopping. That genuinely DOES make it easier than traipsing round a shop,

Part of the problem is privatisation. Round me, we had a team of road sweepers with little trollies, brooms and shovels. The roads were spotless.  Not a mean feat in autumn when the leaves fall off all the trees in the streets.

a few years ago, the service was privatised. Now, not a street cleaner in sight.  They come round every now and then in one of those little motorised sweepers.  It cannot get round the cars or into nooks and crannies. Often, they don't even bother doing that.  By December, the pavements are knee deep in leaves which get trodden into a sodden and slippery mess.

at least a bunch of capitalists and councillors are making a killing 

I'm on a council estate. We seem to have been completely forgotten when it comes to street cleaning etc. I've started keeping my own bit of street clean, but the litter is non stop, mostly blowing down from elsewhere. The bin men make it worse, as they just leave stuff that falls out of the bins.

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 11:14 AM, spunko2010 said:

I do  Watch 1 hour a week of tv, and neglected to mention my key priorities around 3 toddlers. 

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 3:50 AM, hp72 said:

I do  Watch 1 hour a week of tv, and neglected to mention my key priorities around 3 toddlers. 

That's fair enough. But mowing the lawn isn't that time consuming once a week. If you want a really nice garden then admittedly you'd have to hire either a gardener or a nanny!

8 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

That's fair enough. But mowing the lawn isn't that time consuming once a week. If you want a really nice garden then admireally you'd have to hire either a g ardener or a nanny!

Takes around 4 hours to cut the grass with a petrol mower. 300 x 180 feet. Add to that 2000 feet of hedge and after a 65 hour week (including commute) really no daylight hours to do it. Its Moot anyway as i Am 2 weeks from STR. 

3 hours ago, hp72 said:

Takes around 4 hours to cut the grass with a petrol mower. 300 x 180 feet.

Get a pet horse

On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 5:48 PM, hp72 said:

Takes around 4 hours to cut the grass with a petrol mower. 300 x 180 feet. Add to that 2000 feet of hedge and after a 65 hour week (including commute) really no daylight hours to do it. Its Moot anyway as i Am 2 weeks from STR. 

Hedges need to be cut 1 to 3 times a year though. 

Did you consider asking the local farmer? mine tops mine or puts his rams in it. 

On 17/02/2017 at 1:30 PM, janch said:

It's the increase in litter everywhere which gets to me:mellow:

And I'm convinced as much as any other reason this is actually down to the stupid boxes of recycling (plastics, paper etc) people put them out for collection on windy days and the boxes get blown over and the contents are all over the roadside. I've lost count of how many times I've seen this happen.

9 hours ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

This is news to me, and explains why mine looks absolutely terrible. I've cut it twice in five years.

Well you can get away with once a year. That's how often i do mine, in October time. 

You could just say you're growing them for privacy :P

Edited by spunko2010