6 mns in - Trump inauguration crowd size dig
7 mins in - Trump spat with CNN etc etc
8 mims in - Trump's 'Muslim ban'
10 mins in - Trump not born in US etc.
11 mins in - dig at Info Wars 's Alex Jones
commercial break
17 mins - Hitler meeting Trump gag
18 mins - Hitler not Merkel's father though gag
19 mins - Trumps a liar, but merkel's being lied about - Germany doesn't have evil influence on EU - it's 'east european real fake news' 
21 mins - leave voter saying stupid thing. Couple of mins about stupid brexiteers follows
22-23 mins - Trumps press secretary's a deluded liar jokes (denying sinking of Titnic - the fool! etc.)
etc.

HOLA446
4 minutes ago, newbonic said:

1 min in Trump comparing Canadian feminists to Taliban
6 mns in - Trump inauguration crowd size dig
7 mins in - Trump spat with CNN etc etc
8 mims in - Trump's 'Muslim ban'
10 mins in - Trump not born in US etc.
11 mins in - dig at Info Wars 's Alex Jones
commercial break
17 mins - Hitler meeting Trump gag
18 mins - Hitler not Merkel's father though gag
19 mins - Trumps a liar, but merkel's being lied about - Germany doesn't have evil influence on EU - it's 'east european real fake news' 
21 mins - leave voter saying stupid thing. Couple of mins about stupid brexiteers follows
22-23 mins - Trumps press secretary's a deluded liar jokes (denying sinking of Titnic - the fool! etc.)
etc.

Ah, well done on managing to pay attention. I found myself losing the will to live/wanting to punch something so stopped paying attention 

HOLA447
1 minute ago, One-percent said:

Ah, well done on managing to pay attention. I found myself losing the will to live/wanting to punch something so stopped paying attention 

Yes, it was drearily predictable, and hence unfunny. Like a pound shop HIGNFY (which is well past it's best by date). 

We really are short of decent political satire in the UK. Oh well, maybe summat actually unpredictable and funny will pop up on't interweb.

HOLA448
1 minute ago, newbonic said:

Yes, it was drearily predictable, and hence unfunny. Like a pound shop HIGNFY (which is well past it's best by date). 

We really are short of decent political satire in the UK. Oh well, maybe summat actually unpredictable and funny will pop up on't interweb.

Jonathan pie is quite good apart from two things. He hates trump and brexit and he bottled it on tv.

apart from that he is not too bad :)

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Is 2017 to go down in history as the year that the so-called "ordinary person" discovered that there is propaganda in the world?

"Fake News" appears to be the expression for all the propaganda that is not directed by nor in the pursuit of benefitting the government.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I saw the main C4 news show earlier this evening. There are times when I think that the whole world has gone mad.

OK, I can be a cynical git, but cynicism is healthy. Who "gets their news from Facebook"?

I don't indulge in it very much. In fact I only signed up for an account to communicate with one person. It has very little information about me that is genuine.

I "follow" three people. There are some things that come up that are interesting.

There are plenty of pictures of dogs and puddings. It seems to assume that I will be interested in anything that anyone I am interested in, is interested in. Interspersed with adverts for things. I don't have time to look through most of what is there. And that's "following" just three people.

So far as "current affairs" is concerned, this is the electronic equivalent of the London cabbie, or the man filled with opinions propping up the bar at a local pub.

OK, so traditional print and other media has been crowded out by social media. "Friends" make the news. The word "friends" is in quotes because a "friend" on Facebook is not the equivalent of someone in the real world you know enough to place trust in. Katy B, 5AM: "I lost my friends, I checked my phone" (ironic).

It only takes a few taps of the phone to bring up The Guardian website, which might not be "fake news", but just recently ran a piece about the dangers of a new wave of ecstasy citing the Leah Betts case. Leah Betts was not killed by ecstasy. It's simply wrong and poorly researched.

Then tap across to The Telegraph to get another equally single-minded set of articles with particular intentions in mind. The articles might be mostly right, but the essence of these is propaganda: to have you gain the beliefs that the editors want you to have. If you follow either for a while, you realise the articles don't really change, only the click-bait headlines do.

Because people are obsessed with sensationalism. From the election of Trump to those "Heat" style gossip rags in the supermarkets. It's more in the category of "entertainment" than anything else. Why people find it entertaining ("My ex ate my baby and set me on fire") is beyond me.

You wouldn't believe everything a random stranger said to you on the tube. You might not believe anything. It has no more legitimacy if it's on Facebook. It is supposed to have more legitimacy if it's in a "news"-paper / on a news site. Some, indeed most, of it may be factual. It is however an excerpt of particular news articles with a particular slant.

OK, I'd suggest those on here are far more intelligent than average. With reasoning minds, and the ability to question and form their own opinions.

Perhaps many, or most, are not. Yes, it is important that factual information reaches all of us.

But what I'm not really seeing is some metamorphosis going on where the world has suddenly become full of actors pushing opinions. 'Twas ever thus.

The internet is a brilliant enabler of the flow of information. Some is right and some is wrong. Some is downright malicious.

Have we really, collectively, totally lost the ability to question and to discern things? Is the population "getting more stupid"?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Was a ch 5 programme on last night about a paparazzi snapper. I started to watch it thinking it would be pants - but found it quite fascinating. If you want an insight into "fake" news you could do a lot worse than this as an insight.

Of course this all relates to "celebrity" type nonsense. However I have no doubts more serious news stories come about in a similar fashion.

HOLA4419
1 hour ago, ccc said:

Was a ch 5 programme on last night about a paparazzi snapper. I started to watch it thinking it would be pants - but found it quite fascinating. If you want an insight into "fake" news you could do a lot worse than this as an insight.

Of course this all relates to "celebrity" type nonsense. However I have no doubts more serious news stories come about in a similar fashion.

Yes, missed it but wife saw it and recounted the gory details. Basically if a journey/paper/media empire/govt want to frame the narrative basically they can paint any picture they want with a bit of appropriate photography and narrative. 

HOLA4420
14 hours ago, newbonic said:

What do you reckon - 30 mins of thinly veiled Trump and Brexit bashing?

This goes without saying. Basically any show on TV falls into this category. They are all stuck in a left wing/SJW echo-chamber.

HOLA4421
1 hour ago, onlyme2 said:

Yes, missed it but wife saw it and recounted the gory details. Basically if a journey/paper/media empire/govt want to frame the narrative basically they can paint any picture they want with a bit of appropriate photography and narrative. 

I knew it happens but hearing it from the horse's mouth with actual examples was quite eye opening. 

HOLA4422
2 hours ago, ccc said:

Channel 5 make better original telly than the rest.

There, said it.

My tv goes on for cricket rugby and a bit of football plus a bit of BBC4.

News wise i watch a bit of Fox, which astonishingly enough, is now the most balanced and least prone to hysterical fannny sundrome.

I do not watch Echo Chamber Broadcasting Co any more, whatever number it is on the remote.

HOLA4423

Channel 4 doing typical SJW virtue signalling by the sounds of it.

I remember in the mid 90's channel 4 used to have stuff like TV Offal - the show where Victor Lewis Smith rang up politicians pretending that the Queen Mother had died, and where every week just before the adverts there was 'Assassination of the Week' where you had to guess whether an assassination attempt had been successful or not. You found out after the adverts.

TV seems more bland, boring and safe since then.

HOLA4424

I assumed this thread was about Fake news by channel 4

The content of this video also exposes the #FakeNews peddlers, Channel 4, who have consistently acted as “cheerleaders” for Nusra Front-led terrorism in Syria. Where were they when the civilians were free and their voices could be heard condemning the “rebels” that Channel 4 and so many other corporate media promoted as “freedom fighters”.

HOLA4425

Archived