House Price Crash Forum

Ex-wife loses out on pwoperty speculation - expects ex-husband to bail her out

OnionTerror

HOLA441
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Former estate agent, Maria Mills, 51, received a £230,000 lump sum in 2002, plus £1,100 monthly personal maintenance payments, when she split from her "reliable and truthful" 50-year-old husband, Graham Mills, after 13 years of marriage.

But she lost it all and fell heavily into debt, after investing "unwisely" in a series of ever more "upmarket" London properties in a bid to climb the housing ladder, a court heard.

Blimey

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Bloody hell! :blink: This is all down to the gynocentric society we find ourselves in now. I'm never getting married...I'm going 'MGTOW'.

It says in the report that she's unable to support herself. FFS, she could do a few more days at the beauty salon. Perhaps find a higher paying job.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

An utterly absurd decision. It seems to be part of a conspiracy to keep divorce lawyers in business!

Her continual upgrading of property exposes the lie that it is possible to keep "trading up" the property ladder by taking advantage of price rises - each time her mortgage got larger until she could not afford the payments.

HOLA449

'Sir Ernest, giving the court's ruling, said Mr Mills had been regarded as "reliable, truthful and frank" by Judge Everall, who had been "less impressed with the wife". ..

...and so we will treat him like a fool?!...if he had stashed the liquid capital somewhere, poisoned his wife and then went to prison he would have been out by now and at least £400k in pocket (original £220k + the maintenance over the last 14 years), instead his sentence continues...and they call it justice?!

HOLA4410

The married men I know are at enormous risk if their marriages go wrong. They end up with lots of people dependant on them and the rug can be pulled out from under them at any time. 

What I don't understand is why it is so often the women who initiate divorce. Who wants a needy, menopausal woman with kids and a bad shopping habit? The world is full of lonely divorced women.

HOLA4411
3 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

The married men I know are at enormous risk if their marriages go wrong. They end up with lots of people dependant on them and the rug can be pulled out from under them at any time. 

What I don't understand is why it is so often the women who initiate divorce. Who wants a needy, menopausal woman with kids and a bad shopping habit? The world is full of lonely divorced women.

Because they think they will move onto something better but invariably real life doesn't play along. 

HOLA4412

I think it is more subtle than that.

I think for many of them the world becomes so closed in around their immediate circle that eventually the husband ends up outside that circle.  They see that they never see the kids during the week because they are at work, always want to do other things at the weekend and between the 2 of them life decisions become paralyzed into utter inaction. The mothers never have any time for themselves forgetting that neither do the father's. 

Eventually they see the father as just another child to look after, and god help him if he ever gives her any lip.

Finally they clock that the only thing he's good for is the fraction of cash he generates that pays for their lives...and he can do that when he only gets to see the kids at weekends on her terms right? No major change, just gives her some independence. 

HOLA4413

It's a big catch 22 for a lot of couples now with no decent prenuptial protection.

Most women don't want to work full time if they have kids with a high earning man.

Either the man has to take a big gamble on not being screwed over like this poor sap, and marry her... 

...or the woman has to take a big punt she will be adequately catered for if she passes up career opportunities to have kids without a marriage and the relationship ends.

On balance there's more financial  downside for the man, but a big life changing downside for the woman if she ends up with no kids, no wealthy lifestyle and a mediocre job anyway.

The system isn't working for either IMO.

I will say this about women though - there's more than a few who lose any interest in working as soon as they've been a home body.  They'd love to have men believe it's hell but a lot of them can't wait to get back to it. I know so many 50-odd year old guys with grown up kids and non-working wives who spend a good chunk of their income and keep the pressure on them to keep earning it.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Then consider this: most younger people (under 40s) need a dual-income mortgage.  The odds of everything "just working out" are so slim - they keep their jobs for 25 years, don't get divorced (with the risk primarily on the male side, yay equality).  Life never used to be this complicated.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
7 hours ago, whitevanman said:

If they're fed up with their (wealthy) husband then the knowledge that they can ditch them and keep the money flowing in must be tempting.

They are going to assume that, if they wish to, they can get another bloke and in any case will take that risk if they don't like / are bored with the one they have.

The law makes it far too one sided; a high-earning / wealthy man getting married is risking half his money by getting married and that risk remains; I recently heard of a late 60s couple getting divorced. Forced house sale, him having to keep working.

I blame the law rather than the wives; if men had the option of affluent lifestyles without having to lift a finger then I think a lot would also take it.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
14 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

This is about the govt avoiding paying benefits to her, take it from her ex instead. That's my take

Absolutely; all legal notions of being fair and even-handed fly out of the window when it comes to the divorce laws.  They are hugely weighted in favour of the wife.

The most likely reason for this bias is, as you say, that without this legislation the state would have to pay out far more in benefits.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
25 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Absolutely; all legal notions of being fair and even-handed fly out of the window when it comes to the divorce laws.  They are hugely weighted in favour of the wife.

The most likely reason for this bias is, as you say, that without this legislation the state would have to pay out far more in benefits.

Fairly sure that maintenance payments don't get taken into account for benefits.  My guess is that the kids have come of age and her benefits have dried up, hence the need for more from the ex.

HOLA4422
46 minutes ago, CunningPlan said:

Fairly sure that maintenance payments don't get taken into account for benefits. 

They do under universal credits...

http://www.cripps.co.uk/family-law/does-spousal-maintenance-affect-universal-credit/

actually always counted in the sense that if is she is being repossessed, unless she can afford rent, the council will have to rehouse her. So increasing spousal will keep the cost to the govt down.

HOLA4423

Anyone contemplating marriage these days needs to read about MGTOW....and re-read it.

Actually just living with a partner will soon have enormous consequences due to The Cohabitation Rights Bill.

They'red better start building shit loads of single bed appts.

HOLA4424
2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

If they're fed up with their (wealthy) husband then the knowledge that they can ditch them and keep the money flowing in must be tempting.

Shows what a sham most marriages essentially are.  "Oh I love Bill for his personality" - yeah, right, and his £65,000 a year job.  Most women marry up, just a fact of life.  Money really does matter, and guys get hypnotised when they start earning - "she loves me for me" - until you lose your job, or that she decides she can still use you for your money AND get divorced.  Polite society doesn't like to dwell on such matters, but they exist. 

HOLA4425
1 hour ago, canbuywontbuy said:

Shows what a sham most marriages essentially are.  "Oh I love Bill for his personality" - yeah, right, and his £65,000 a year job.  Most women marry up, just a fact of life.  Money really does matter, and guys get hypnotised when they start earning - "she loves me for me" - until you lose your job, or that she decides she can still use you for your money AND get divorced.  Polite society doesn't like to dwell on such matters, but they exist. 

IMHO money only really matters for women when they start flying towards 30/the wall. Early/mid 20s women are more interested in "hawt" Chads on Tinder with a large instagram following. Alpha f***s Beta bucks. It's why I'd never date anyone over 25 anymore, you turn up and it's just a long list of interview questions to guess your financial status: what car do you drive? where do you live? what's your exact job title? who do you live with? do you rent? 

Archived