House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Driving licence photographs

Every 10 years, I think. When mine had to be renewed I just went to the Post Office, they took the photo and I handed in my odl licence to them. The new one came back fairly promptly, a matter of days. I did take the precaution of photo copying the old one before I handed it in.

17 minutes ago, juvenal said:

Do you really have to renew this photo every three years?

And how?

every 10. But does it say it needs to be a new photo and would they check?

2 minutes ago, Errol said:

Loads of people still have a paper only licence. 

I doubt loads, you'd have to have not moved for ?twenty years.

40 minutes ago, juvenal said:

Do you really have to renew this photo every three years?

And how?

Its 10 years unless like me you had to surrender it while ill, in which case its 3 years. If you voluntarily surrender they are supposed to send it straight back when you are fit to drive again. It took six months from asking for it back because they only employ one or two people to return voluntary surrendered licenses. The muppets say you can drive if you show the letter saying you are entitled to drive. However, you can't get car insurance without a valid license so you can't.

I think I read a week ago you can use selfies now for the photo. (as in take it on your phone and upload it)

As long as you haven't let yourself go too much in the last decade.

Seems to be another tax having to pay for renewal every 10 years like the passport.

Dear Mr Death,

We cannot accept your uploaded photo. What happened to the sexy guy in his early 30's and wtf is that wart thing with the hair growing out of? 

Please have this picture certified by your doctor or embalmer.

Yours,

DVLA

49 minutes ago, LiveinHope said:

Do you have to tell them if you have moved ?

Yes.

They reissue a license with same photo.

2 minutes ago, LiveinHope said:

I have a paper license.

2 minutes ago, LiveinHope said:

I have a paper license.

Not if youve moved...

To be honest, the photo id is useful. Doing sny banking without is a pain.

1 hour ago, LiveinHope said:

Do you have to tell them if you have moved ?

In theory yes, I kept being quoted a thousand pound fine when I was doing my CBT as I continued with my paper license at my parents' address whilst I was living in rented flats.

I would probably have continued with a paper one indefinitely had my parents not moved.

8 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Not if youve moved...

To be honest, the photo id is useful. Doing sny banking without is a pain.

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

In theory yes, I kept being quoted a thousand pound fine when I was doing my CBT as I continued with my paper license at my parents' address whilst I was living in rented flats.

I would probably have continued with a paper one indefinitely had my parents not moved.

I've had my paper license 33 years now and moved around quite a bit. Never heard about a fine, but then I've never needed to show my license, except abroad for hire cars.

I've never needed photo id for anything. And if i did, I have my passport.

I'll be sad to see my paper license go, but it may never do so.

Come to think of it, it's probably not my current address on my passport.

5 minutes ago, LiveinHope said:

I've had my paper license 33 years now and moved around quite a bit. Never heard about a fine, but then I've never needed to show my license, except abroad for hire cars.

My thinking was in the event of being stopped by the police and required to produce documents then I could justify having my parents' current address on it and so avoid the fine by saying that in the event of an accident I would want them contacted rather than an empty flat.  I don't know if it would have worked as a defence but I was happy to risk it.

Once they'd moved I didn't think I could use that any more so I might as well use my own address as I had to get a photocard anyway through changing.

I've never been asked to produce my documents so I could have continued with my paper one if I'd wanted to do so.

I haven't checked the thousand pound fine anywhere but my motorbike trainers had no reason to invent that.

10 minutes ago, LiveinHope said:

I took my car into the main stealers for a service a couple of months ago.  New young woman on the reception. Signing out the curtesy car.

"Can I see you drinking licence?"

passed over my battered paper licence.

"that's not valid, I can't accept it"

looooonnnnggg discussion later over whether it was legal, off she goes to 'consult' with colleagues out back

"oh well, we can't decide on whether it is a valid licence, so we will give you the benefit of doubt on this occasion "

:rolleyes:

My driving licence photo is nearly twenty years old, they used my passport one, which was nearly 10 years old, for my driving licence. Ten years later my driving licence is still using that photo although my passport  photo is now ten years newer.

Just renewed mine and they used the photo from my passport from the gov database which was taken in March 2007 do will be 19 years, 11 months out of date when the license is up for renewal again.

When Mr B lost his licence (as in nicked, with his wallet) they used the photo from his passport. 

All done without him having to faff around with the photo booth at Asda. 

If you have a valid passport I gather they can just upload it.  Don't know about any restrictions, though.