House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flopsy

Boiler systems for flats / small houses - opinions please

We heard that our LL could be putting our current house on the market so started looking over the weekend. Saw a newish build house with a boiler in the kitchen and a small hot water tank. It's been a while since I've lived in a home with this arrangement. Our current place has a combi boiler and the one before that one of those huge condenser boilers.

Our current combi bolier does a good job of heating and water for baths / showers but is very noisy, slow and rattles a lot. The condensor boiler was also good at heating / bathing water but kept breaking down plus it was very hot in summer around the cupboard housing it.

Any opinions on these different water heating options?

18 hours ago, DEATH said:

Maybe this needs shifting to the mental rental department of the forum.

Thanks Death for the reply!

I'm sure the same question will arise when I start looking at houses to buy again.

It's been such a long time since I saw  a hot water / heating system with an old style tank. I'm lost on what the best option would be for one to buy as well.

Move in and test it probably the best. If it works, keep it if it doesn't or is not reliable or noisy then reappraise. Some older systems can go on for years, some newer combines can rust through very quickly so I'd be tempted only to replace if and when you know there are any serious issues with the existing install.

If you have sufficient pressure I would say fit a combi. The ones I have had have all worked very well and for over 10 years, and not been too noisy.

They have the disadvantage of struggling to run a shower and a tap at the same time, but if you can cope with that then I think they are the best choice. They're the most efficient and you don't have to have a big tank stuck in a cupboard somewhere.

The only other thing... don't fit one in the loft, ever, despite what installers might tell you.

49 minutes ago, Jugador said:

If you have sufficient pressure I would say fit a combi. The ones I have had have all worked very well and for over 10 years, and not been too noisy.

They have the disadvantage of struggling to run a shower and a tap at the same time, but if you can cope with that then I think they are the best choice. They're the most efficient and you don't have to have a big tank stuck in a cupboard somewhere.

The only other thing... don't fit one in the loft, ever, despite what installers might tell you.

We have a condensing boiler in the loft:unsure:. Drawback ?

4 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

There's no room for your train set.:mellow:

5 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

The major issue is that there is no room for your train set, as MrPin said :)

A secondary concern is temperature. The boilers have a safety system that automatically switches them on if the temperature drops below around 4 degrees, i's there to prevent freezing temperatures causing damage. In some cases this causes hot water to get pumped around the radiators whether you want it to or not.  I know two people who have had this problem.

Also, if you ever have to bleed a radiator to let air out you are going to have to go up into the loft the add water pressure back into the system. Not a problem if you have a nice clean loft with a ladder though.