Steampunk - why???

spyguy

HOLA441
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I like the wail's picture of ken Dodd.  

I got got caught up by mistake in goth week a couple of years ago.  Not happy. It took my over an hour to get out of the coop car park.  And the sights in the pubs.  I've never seen so much cellulite on show or wrapped in fishnet.  

I guess that the steampunk thing is someone trying to cash in on the success of the two goth weeks.  I hope it all fizzles out as people with their goldfish attention spans move onto something else. 

HOLA443
HOLA444
3 minutes ago, ntb said:

Cosplay for adults. Some people like dressing up. Not sure but I believe they call it 'fun', whatever that is.

A cold February weekend in Whitby?

Youve a 80% of getting snowed and rained on.

HOLA445
29 minutes ago, One-percent said:

I like the wail's picture of ken Dodd.  

I got got caught up by mistake in goth week a couple of years ago.  Not happy. It took my over an hour to get out of the coop car park.  And the sights in the pubs.  I've never seen so much cellulite on show or wrapped in fishnet.  

I guess that the steampunk thing is someone trying to cash in on the success of the two goth weeks.  I hope it all fizzles out as people with their goldfish attention spans move onto something else. 

The Goth girl looks works well in an Ingrid Pitt/Twins of Evil if you are tall, slim attractive and under 25.

However ...

Most of the women tend to be short, fat and over 50.

The whole gauzy bustier thing ends up like lard straining thru a sieve.

HOLA446
1 minute ago, spyguy said:

The Goth girl looks works well in an Ingrid Pitt/Twins of Evil if you are tall, slim attractive and under 25.

However ...

Most of the women tend to be short, fat and over 50.

The whole gauzy bustier thing ends up like lard straining thru a sieve.

Don't, just don't.  I cannot cope with more mental,images. I'm still recovering from seeing the cellulite ooze out of fishnet in the plough. :huh:

it seems to me a mix of chavs from the local conurbations out on the piss and bored school teachers looking to spice up their sex lives.  :huh::huh::huh:

HOLA447
Just now, One-percent said:

Don't, just don't.  I cannot cope with more mental,images. I'm still recovering from seeing the cellulite ooze out of fishnet in the plough. :huh:

it seems to me a mix of chavs from the local conurbations out on the piss and bored school teachers looking to spice up their sex lives.  :huh::huh::huh:

It is a bit like folk week - there does seem to be an over representation of public sector workers.

HOLA448
Just now, spyguy said:

It is a bit like folk week - there does seem to be an over representation of public sector workers.

At least the folkies cover up.  All that facial hair and that's just the women.  Mind, they do tend to think they should have precedence over the regatta and for that reason alone should be banned from the town.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
2 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I like it. It's a bit of harmless eccentricity that makes the world a slightly more interesting, amusing place. If I were still young and idle i would probably join in, but I simply don't have the time, money or sufficient personal inclination. Good for them though.

Oh its all harmless.

I just dont see the why? bit.

HOLA4411
5 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Oh its all harmless.

I just dont see the why? bit.

Why not?

It's no more silly than sitting down in front of your TV and spending all weekend playing a "witches and elves" fantasy game on your computer with people you will never ever meet.

HOLA4412
Just now, DeepLurker said:

Why not?

It's no more silly than sitting down in front of your TV and spending all weekend playing a "witches and elves" fantasy game on your computer with people you will never ever meet.

OK, Id be OK with a dress up fancy dress night.

Id not do it but some people like to.

This is dress up for a good 3 days, all day.

HOLA4413

Bit like battle re-enactors, always seems hard to decide if it's harmless fun to be applauded or if you should swap in some live ammo, whilst they're not looking. Reminds me a bit of weekend 'shoots' amateur photographers do with female models, who volunteer. Seems like a bit of a mutually assured self-destruction pact scenario where there's an unspoken agreement that none of the blokes photographing mention the women are far from modelling material and none of the women mention the blokes doing the photographing are a bit pervy.

Didn't this all come from Manga like Howl's Moving Castle before the various video games got in on the act though?

HOLA4414

It's the attitude of some of the ones who turn up for goth week that I have an issue with.

lots of people turn up to goth watch and not take part.  The goths moan about these people and whinge on about how they spoil it for them.  Meanwhile, they don't care the impact that there little festival has on local people when they descend on mass and take over the town.

then they are disrespectful of the local heritage and of local families, draping themselves, semi nude over gravestones in the local church.  Signs have had to be put up asking people to respect the consecrated ground of the church.

HOLA4415
1 minute ago, SNACR said:

Didn't this all come from Manga like Howl's Moving Castle before the various video games got in on the act though?

I think there has always been a bit of a subculture. I thought it got a bit more of a bump from "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" being made into a movie, but the manga elements probably played a part too. I really liked Nemo's car:

nb9j7udis0enya0airep.jpg

HOLA4416
13 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Bit like battle re-enactors, always seems hard to decide if it's harmless fun to be applauded or if you should swap in some live ammo, whilst they're not looking. Reminds me a bit of weekend 'shoots' amateur photographers do with female models, who volunteer. Seems like a bit of a mutually assured self-destruction pact scenario where there's an unspoken agreement that none of the blokes photographing mention the women are far from modelling material and none of the women mention the blokes doing the photographing are a bit pervy.

I thought it was from William Gibsons Difference Engine book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Difference_Engine

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I actually love steampunk. As in the 'look'. I'd love to have the balls to dress like that casually every now and then. And this comes from someone who was never a goth and never had an interest in fashion or art or anything; I just instinctively 'like' the steampunk look.

The chap in my profile picture is Thomas Dolby; musician, silicon valley entrepreneur, and now college professor, who has been known to dress steam punk-ish:

tumblr_mbenmyzMPY1r6tsxvo1_250.jpg

On+stage+in+trenchcoat.jpg

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Love steampunk. Victorian/Edwardian sci-fi,  tech and clothing has a fantastic style to it. Not least because it feels like the one of the last eras where much of this was handcrafted, designed to last a long time and is often still functional. Steampunk allows you to take all of this, and add alt-reality elements eg imagine if modern day inventions were designed with victorian sensibilities. 

Much of Verne's work is steampunk, as are books like "Stars my Destination". 

HOLA4422
49 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Oh and yes the whole goth thing falls apart by the time you get to 30, whereas steampunk can be worn gracefully at all ages.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3908492/Creatures-night-converge-Whitby-Goth-Festival.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2818315/Returning-favourite-haunt-Thousands-descend-quiet-seaside-town-bi-annual-festival-celebrating-gothic-culture.html

Whitby gets loads of the undead everyday .... on the X93 from Middlesbrough.

HOLA4423
1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

I actually love steampunk. As in the 'look'. I'd love to have the balls to dress like that casually every now and then. And this comes from someone who was never a goth and never had an interest in fashion or art or anything; I just instinctively 'like' the steampunk look.

The chap in my profile picture is Thomas Dolby; musician, silicon valley entrepreneur, and now college professor, who has been known to dress steam punk-ish:

tumblr_mbenmyzMPY1r6tsxvo1_250.jpg

On+stage+in+trenchcoat.jpg

Just go for it! Thomas Dolby looks cool IMO ?

Since my mid fifties and letting my hair be grey I've adopted what I call a posh punk look. Black, dark grey, red tartan, military style jackets, DM boots, biker boots etc. I'm also slim.

I like how I dress which is all that really matters to me but I do get complemented quite a lot from both males and females so at least some other people like my style!

HOLA4424

I like all this 'alternative' fashion stuff, but them I'm old enough to remember punk without the steam!

I guess I've been doing something similar for a long time myself. Spend all week in a suit and tie, get the leather jacket, jeans and DM's on and blast around on an extremely noisy motorcycle at the weekends.

No harm no foul, if you don't like it don't look.

p.s. Luvved the pic with the 'burd' in the headress beside the hobbit..... looks great!

HOLA4425

Archived