House Price Crash Forum

Bloke drops asking price by £300k, still no takers, so sticks it up for raffle

HOLA441
2 hours ago, Digsby said:

So he bought the place in 2011 for £435k. House prices in Lancashire are 10% higher than they were in 2011, putting the unimproved value at somewhere around £480k. He's spent £150k on it. Does that mean it's worth £620k? If nobody will buy it at £500k then clearly not. It is patently NOT worth £845k (the T&Cs state this valuation is an "estimation by owners").

Conformity: If the neighbourhood consists of 2,000 square feet, three-bedroom home, improving a property above that standard may not be profitable.  Converting a home by adding 500 square feet and changing the internal layout to four bedrooms and three baths could be money poorly spent, based on the principle of conformity.

Contribution:  This principle acknowledges additional market value one may expect from improving a property is not equal to cost, but to the contribution those changes make to actual market value.  Thus, in a low-demand market, an improvement may add only £2,000 to market value even though the actual cost was £5,000.

Substitution: This principle is, "A property's greatest potential market value is limited by the market value of other, similar properties."  Thus is would not be realistic to judge market value in a vacuum. Without considering the market value of similar properties located in a similar area, we cannot accurately analyze market value of any property.  This theory is easily observed.  When two similar properties are for sale, the lower-priced one will tend to sell first and, as a result, the market value of the remaining property may be lowered.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
11 minutes ago, Digsby said:

Precisely, V - so he's spent £150k under the impression that every £1k he spends is increasing it's "value" by £2k. Dumb. Look at the images of it when he bought it - there was nothing wrong with it, a redecoration in expensive materials, not a renovation.

I read you Digsby!   Even the description in the 2011 listing - seemingly for this property - suggests it had been through improvements by the then owner.

The property forms part of the former Melling Hall a magnificent residence and former hotel which dates back to the Georgian era. The property has recently been updated, improved and modernised whilst retaining many of the original features; including fine fireplaces, panel doors, cornices, deep skirting boards and architraves, sash windows and well proportioned rooms. A well presented family home with the conveniences of modern day living such as a gas fired central heating system, contemporary fitted kitchen with some integrated appliances, en-suite facilities to six of the seven bedrooms, three reception rooms, cloaks and utility room.

..more from 2011 listing (asking price £435,000) + pics http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-30473863.html

Although I don't have my 'eye' in today, to look at the Daily Mail photos to try and work out what the current owner has done vs the 2011 pics we've got.

Edited by Venger

HOLA444
6 hours ago, Digsby said:

Precisely, V - so he's spent £150k under the impression that every £1k he spends is increasing it's "value" by £2k. Dumb. Look at the images of it when he bought it - there was nothing wrong with it, a redecoration in expensive materials, not a renovation.

It did look just fine in 2011.  What would it take for DailyMail to do a before and after article analysing the poor performance of this renovation investment?  I know they can do it! They have done it here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3237153/Even-changing-rooms-wasn-t-No-one-wants-buy-Laurence-Llewelyn-Bowen-s-1-6million-mansion-swapped-garish-decor-neutral-tones.html

HOLA445
HOLA446
1 hour ago, Bear Hug said:

It did look just fine in 2011.  What would it take for DailyMail to do a before and after article analysing the poor performance of this renovation investment?  I know they can do it! They have done it here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3237153/Even-changing-rooms-wasn-t-No-one-wants-buy-Laurence-Llewelyn-Bowen-s-1-6million-mansion-swapped-garish-decor-neutral-tones.html

ripped out the solid wood kitchen and replaced it with an Essex-style white gloss carbuncle for one. 

• 2 months later...
HOLA447

Low hopes to sell 500,000 tickets to raise money equivalent to the value of the home to avoid repossession. He has had 340,000 entries to date.

“I knew that people had done this before but had problems, and I needed to make sure everything was above board and legal, so you can enter for free if you wish to,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/apr/26/raffle-ticket-lord-lady-melling-manor

At no point does the journo ask the obvious question, well how many of the 340k entries are the free option? Publicity could be double edged on this one. Surely if anyone  is stupid enough to buy this they may cotton onto the fact well how are you ever going to sell it? Last vendor had to run an international raffle with global media coverage, good luck rerunning that. 

Edited by AvoidDebt

HOLA448
2 hours ago, AvoidDebt said:

At no point does the journo ask the obvious question, well how many of the 340k entries are the free option?

Not many. Unless he has an army of people opening envelopes. 

Edited by spacedin

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
3 hours ago, AvoidDebt said:

Low hopes to sell 500,000 tickets to raise money equivalent to the value of the home to avoid repossession. He has had 340,000 entries to date.

“I knew that people had done this before but had problems, and I needed to make sure everything was above board and legal, so you can enter for free if you wish to,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/apr/26/raffle-ticket-lord-lady-melling-manor

At no point does the journo ask the obvious question, well how many of the 340k entries are the free option? Publicity could be double edged on this one. Surely if anyone  is stupid enough to buy this they may cotton onto the fact well how are you ever going to sell it? Last vendor had to run an international raffle with global media coverage, good luck rerunning that. 

This sort of thing was happening in 2007 as people got desperate.

Given wages have gone no where and prices are even more insane I think we can safely safe peak mania is here

• 3 months later...
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
20 minutes ago, Digsby said:

So they sold a £400K house for £900K via a raffle.  The mind boggles !!!!

Everyone should be doing this. :rolleyes:

I wonder if the lucky winner can afford the upkeep and who she'll sell to.

Even if she charges £4 she'll double her money.

HOLA4414
On 16/08/2017 at 7:25 AM, TheCountOfNowhere said:

So they sold a £400K house for £900K via a raffle.  The mind boggles !!!!

Everyone should be doing this. :rolleyes:

I wonder if the lucky winner can afford the upkeep and who she'll sell to.

Even if she charges £4 she'll double her money.

I think the article mentions he is or going to run other raffles. To include the title is an interesting selling point. I wonder if they always planned to raffle it off?

HOLA4415

It looks to me like these competitions are skating on thin ice and could be considered an illegal lottery, which would be taxable.

Under the Gambling Act 2005, a competition will not be a lottery if it satisfies the "skill" test or if no payment is required to enter.

I don't think an easy multiple choice question with only 3 options is very "skillful"

If a competition does not satisfy the skill requirement, it will be a lottery unless either no payment is required to participate in the competition (whether this is to enter the competition, or to find out if you have won, or to collect a prize) or there is an alternative free entry route. It is irrelevant whether the payment benefits the person running the competition or someone else, e.g. a telecoms company providing the premium-rate telephone number used to participate in the competition. https://www.out-law.com/page-6780

To enter this competition for free involves paying for a first class stamp - so not free

The Gambling Commission has said that it expects to monitor the boundaries between lotteries, betting and gaming on the one hand, and skill competitions and prize draws on the other, and that it will act where schemes are organised which the Commission considers amount to unlicensed and therefore illegal lotteries.

http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/for-the-public/For-the-public.aspx

HOLA4416

Something else that seems suspicious, they sold 500,000 tickets and then We picked our winner by random number generator and then actually managed to contact the winner within around 15 minutes!

How exactly did they do that? it seems like a lot of tickets to wade through.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
18 minutes ago, Ash4781 said:

The BBc feature shows tubs of what appear to be raffle tickets

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-40950357/the-845000-mansion-sold-for-just-2

BBC takign great delight in saying the property was worth £800K+

Whereas in reality they couldnt f**king sell it and was probably worth 400.

Someone ought to complain about this nonsense.

HOLA4419

Melling is actually very near to where I live, and in fact I very nearly bought a house in the village when house prices were at a reasonable level. The village itself is the pits, unless you enjoy a village with zero facilities and an average age somewhere in the 60s. There's no local pub (nearest one around two miles away), patchy bus service that's in the pipeline to get axed (like the one over the river did...cutbacks), and....well bugger all else. Hmmm not many sights there unless one can count the large TV mast that overlooks the village.

On the flip side, it's situated in a rural location, close to the North Yorkshire border. Not a lot to recommend it for really, unless you enjoy solitude.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
1 hour ago, Ash4781 said:

The BBc feature shows tubs of what appear to be raffle tickets

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-40950357/the-845000-mansion-sold-for-just-2

That looks like 9 small baskets filled with tickets, doesnt look like more than a couple of thousand.

They were selling £2 tickets via paypal in blocks of 1, 5, 10 and 20

so if most people were gambling £40 they would only need 2500 sales.

If this is legal they pulled it off pretty well

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
25 minutes ago, GreenDevil said:

End of terrace, for 800k in Lancs. No wonder they couldnt shift it.

Only worth £2 anyway. She sold it for its true value.

When new owner comes to sell it on... Will that mean a massive CGT bill?!