Lettuce all worry about this now, UK economy hits an iceberg

TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA441
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

When I worked directly in agriculture 20yrs ago I saw what chemicals got sprayed on lettuce (Iceberg being the worst) just to get them into a condition so that the public and supermarkets would buy (consumer and retailer driven btw).

I've tried to avoid these ever since.

Even though most of the things we were spraying on them are now banned the chemical companies were pretty quick to find equally lethal replacements.

Therefore I wouldn't be too quick to lament the rationing of the Iceberg.

BF

HOLA444

There was something on mumsnet recently about the disastrous national shortage of courgettes - down to bad weather in Spain again. 

What on earth are you supposed to do if you can't get any for your spiralizer?  

I expect there will be counsellors happy to help you deal with it.  

HOLA445

Looking at the people in my Tesco's, I can assure theyll not be fighting over the fruit + veg.

There'll be a riot if Greggs shuts thought. Grossly obese selling their bodies (must seem to have the bodes of 2 or 3 women combined) for a steaky bake.

HOLA446
4 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

Of course, eating locally sourced seasonal foodstuffs isctotally out of the question. 

Or maybe if we didn't have the protectionist EU, we could import them from north Africa or Turkey say?

The EU, through is butt headed, fcking expensive agri-subs, have played a major part the economic and social development f the bottom half of the med basin.

What fcks me off is that I pay my taxes to sub a farmer, who then hogs all the land for subbed crops rather than housing.

Needs putting against the wall and shooting, the lot.

HOLA447

Amazing you should say this but a lady at Lidl was about to be charged £1.50 for an iceberg lettuce at Lidl of all places earlier this week. This was after pushing in front of us incidently because she seemed unaware there was a queue being unsited by the shelving.

'I'm not paying £1.50 for an iceberg lettuce I thought it said 50p.' And the cashier removed the item for reshelving.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
41 minutes ago, Little Frank said:

So nothing at all to do with "UK economy" as misleading thread title suggests 

HPC rapidly degenerating into a fake news site. 

Sad

Holy **** the stasi is now trying to tell us to stop making jokes so they can claim we make stuff up.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
1 hour ago, spyguy said:

Looking at the people in my Tesco's, I can assure theyll not be fighting over the fruit + veg.

There'll be a riot if Greggs shuts thought. Grossly obese selling their bodies (must seem to have the bodes of 2 or 3 women combined) for a steaky bake.

yes, i frequent my local greggs once a week as its the only place i can get an 'alf decent whole meal loaf locally and am always shocked by the amount of obese people buying things that will make them more obese. i have a hunch greggs is subsidied by companies which manufacture insulin

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Good.People should be eating veg like turnips and parsnips that are in season.Plus why didnt they buy 3 months worth of these and sprouts etc when they were all 19p over xmas.Blanched and into the freezer £30 for 3 months supply.Mumsnet is worried though,

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
2 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Holy **** the stasi is now trying to tell us to stop making jokes so they can claim we make stuff up.

Alternative Facts!

HOLA4425
2 hours ago, dgul said:

I knew all this would end with rationing in the shops.

A consequence of Brexit and Devaluation.

Come 2025 it'll be like Russia prior to communist collapse. But don't worry, the Chinese still have plenty of the people's workers outfits they have left in stock from the 1950s

Archived